Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I am slowing or coming to a stop, and I let off the gas, and only in 1st gear..i hear somekind of grinding/'machine gun' sounding noise. Kinda like a chain or something gets slack and is dragging on someting. The second I give just a tiny bit of gas it goes away almost like it tensions up until i let off again. It sounds like it is mid center underneath. I cannot figure this out. It has happened in the past but eventually went away..now it has been doing it over a week straight. Any ideas on what pressing the gas pedal could tighten up or take slack from? It also happens in reverse at slow speeds.

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
So when I am slowing or coming to a stop, and I let off the gas, and only in 1st gear..i hear somekind of grinding/'machine gun' sounding noise. Kinda like a chain or something gets slack and is dragging on someting. The second I give just a tiny bit of gas it goes away almost like it tensions up until i let off again. It sounds like it is mid center underneath. I cannot figure this out. It has happened in the past but eventually went away..now it has been doing it over a week straight. Any ideas on what pressing the gas pedal could tighten up or take slack from? It also happens in reverse at slow speeds.
Sounds like the chain inside the transfercase man.....

·
That guy..
1,281 Posts
These trucks have numerous "Normal" noises.. LOL I finally just got used to hearing them..

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Mine does that periodically too. I just avoid coasting at a slow speed & it doesn't do it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Mine does that periodically too. I just avoid coasting at a slow speed & it doesn't do it.
LOL.. I try that as well, but I don't want to make something worse if it's serious. It used to go away, but it seems to be sticking around this time....

If it is the TC chain, is that major? hard to fix?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Depending on how many miles you have on it & how hard it's been driven, as Rocky said above, there are noises these things make that are normal & really nothing to worry about. Would hate to spend $ on it only to have the same thing happening after the "fix". I don't beat on mine & it's done it periodically since new.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im pretty sure this isn't normal. Going to shop on Friday..ill update.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Im going to second Knuckles - my buddy's Jeep did something similar, with the grinding noise somewhere under the driver's seat area. Ended up being the transfer case. Id just mention it when you take it in. Good luck!

·
Registered
339 Posts
mine does the same stuff..... all chalked up to "NORMAL" noises... HAH I LOVE OUR TRUCKS!!!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
My Truck Jerks like the 1st hundred yard or so but thats it. Once I stop & turn off. Start up & leave It Jerks again. Assuming its the Transfer Case. IDK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts