Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2008 GCSRT8 that has a stock exhaust. I’m looking for more sound, problem is when living in Sweden as I do, the prices of exhaust systems is almost twice your price because of tax and import charges. I refuse to pay double the price, and looking to see if there is a cheap way of getting good sound. I really don’t want drone, so what are my best options? Pardon the language barrier, getting confused with mufflers and resonators.

1. Muffler delete (That’s in the middle and you call that as uitcase, right?)
2. Resonators delete (that’s the back right, before the exhaust tips?)
3. Both

I’ve read something about power loss when doing this, is that a thing? Looking to get a CAI and a Diablo Tuner later as well.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I just bought a 2008 GCSRT8 that has a stock exhaust. I’m looking for more sound, problem is when living in Sweden as I do, the prices of exhaust systems is almost twice your price because of tax and import charges. I refuse to pay double the price, and looking to see if there is a cheap way of getting good sound. I really don’t want drone, so what are my best options? Pardon the language barrier, getting confused with mufflers and resonators.

1. Muffler delete (That’s in the middle and you call that as uitcase, right?)
2. Resonators delete (that’s the back right, before the exhaust tips?)
3. Both

I’ve read something about power loss when doing this, is that a thing? Looking to get a CAI and a Diablo Tuner later as well.
You are correct, the muffler is the suitcase in the front and the resos are the one ones in the back. These Hemi engines need back pressure and when you cut those off you will lose power, there are a lot of info on this site on this topic, just google search and you'll find all the different options people have done with their exhausts. I know that the prices are high for these exhausts but, IMHO I would never sacrifice power for sound, just my opinion, also, Solo is a vendor on this site, contact them and see if you can get a deal....

Reactions: CEk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are correct, the muffler is the suitcase in the front and the resos are the one ones in the back. These Hemi engines need back pressure and when you cut those off you will lose power, there are a lot of info on this site on this topic, just google search and you'll find all the different options people have done with their exhausts. I know that the prices are high for these exhausts but, IMHO I would never sacrifice power for sound, just my opinion, also, Solo is a vendor on this site, contact them and see if you can get a deal....
Alright. Yeah, if they were just high it would be fine. But imagine paying double the price of what you're paying for an aftermarket system in the US. That's just ridiculous. My friend has modded his BMW M5, what he did was cut open the rear resonators (or mufflers?) and dampened the perforated pipe before welding it back. His sounds amazing! Is that something that could be done on the Jeep? Saw on a Trackhawk that it was filled with glassfibre to dampen the sound, is it the same on older Jeeps?

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m in the same boat. I just bought a 2017 GC SRT and wanted to know if it was better to replace the muffler (suitcase) or the resonators ? I’m not interested and doing both, just better sound without the drone. Thx

·
Registered
137 Posts
SOLO Nets you NOTHING 0 ZILCH I had mine installed and Dynoed , its 1300 For Sound , It is the best Sounding one but I had mine Dynoed At radical racing and HPP , as a matter a fact Josh at HHP will Even tell you up front Their is NOthing wrong with the Stock exhaust and they actually Did a Ton Of Testing On the Stock exhaust ... I think Solo Claims 11 hp across the ENTIRE range ,lol . You can actually find 11 hp just By letting the Engine Cool ... Solo has No drone But for 1300 for some sound?? I guess If you can afford it Go for it . HP gains are 0 and that is not an opinion , I also had mine Dynoed with a CAI in the Summer and LOST power and 0 to 60 another thing that HHP Will tell you up front , "the best Intake is the Stock Intake with a K&N Square Filter . Way to much heat soak in the Summer . Dont Be truicked into Sound =HP .

·
Registered
111 Posts
Never remove exhaust backs, they kill resonance. Remove only the middle part, do not remove the cats and there will be a great budget sound.
When removing the suitcase, and I assume replacing it with an X pipe, is the increased volume only at the tips or can you hear a bit of 'good sound' underneath? I wish they would have not used so much sound insulation materials in the WK2s, sigh.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep SRT8. Stock. Used buy in 2020 @61,000 mi. Brilliant black crystal pearl
64 Posts
I’m curious where placement plays. Removing the suitcase gives you some serious real estate under there so I’m wondering if putting a set of mufflers in the suitcase area and running out straight from them or x pipe in suitcase area and mufflers at stock rear positions. I want to know how it plays with the resonance and crackle effect out the pipe. I hate the clap-tastic sound. Needs some class. Anyone experiment with this thought??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts