Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to do an 11:1 426 - my buddy has one that has had issues with starting I think it's entire life...

When you turn the key, the starter on his turns once - pauses/hesitates - then turns begrudgingly a couple more times and starts.

Is this an individual problem? Maybe due to the compression ratio? Tune? I think the starter on his was replaced, but not sure. Thought this was kind of bazaar as I've never heard of it...

Any thoughts would be helpful.

· Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Mine always fires right up with no hesitation. My compression ratio is just slightly lower than the one you are planning to get. The problem I was having was it cutting out after reversing out of a garage or similar setting after starting it up. That was a problem with the tune and I believe timing had a lot to do with it, since the new tune...No more problems!

· Has Been
8,532 Posts
Yeah as the others have said, it sounds like an individual vehicle issue. I've had my 11:1 426 for almost a year now and never had a starting issue. I have had rough idling issues or park to reverse issues but that's all stuff that is easily fixed in a tune.

· Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool. Not something I'll worry about with mine then.

Much thanks fellas!

So who with a higher than stock compression ratio has gone forced induction?

· Has Been
8,532 Posts
Cool. Not something I'll worry about with mine then.

Much thanks fellas!

So who with a higher than stock compression ratio has gone forced induction?
Not something I would consider doing if I were you. If you plan on going FI at some point start with a lower compression ratio. JDOC and a few others have started with a high compression 426 and swapped head gaskets out to run a FI application, but this does not allow for one to run high boost as compared to a original low compression motor.

· Banned
1,577 Posts
11.3 440 no problems here

· Premium Member
1,071 Posts
In the old days, that behavior was a sign of a few things -
Too much spark advance during crank
Flooding carb when hot/setting (leaking fuel injector?)
Bad starter/starter heated by exhaust or headers (need heat shield).
Too small battery cables (assuming good battery).

I have a 69 Pontiac 428 HO that always acted just that way on hot start. Retarding the timing helped but I wasn't about to leave it that way.

· Premium Member
17,169 Posts
I know that Meziere is working on a high torque starter for our Jeeps, well, for the 6.1L that is. Not really sure it's needed but Don Meziere was telling me about it at the PRI show. He said it was close to being ready. It won't be cheap but will probably be the last starter you'd ever buy for it.

· Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not something I would consider doing if I were you. If you plan on going FI at some point start with a lower compression ratio. JDOC and a few others have started with a high compression 426 and swapped head gaskets out to run a FI application, but this does not allow for one to run high boost as compared to a original low compression motor.
I don't think that just doing head gaskets would lower it enough to make much of a difference. 11:1 to 10.8:1, maybe?

You could also swap to a set of Apache heads & they will lower the compression some also.

Jim
Thought about either Apache's or chambering the heads on it now...

I know that Meziere is working on a high torque starter for our Jeeps, well, for the 6.1L that is. Not really sure it's needed but Don Meziere was telling me about it at the PRI show. He said it was close to being ready. It won't be cheap but will probably be the last starter you'd ever buy for it.
Interesting...I talked with someone from the LX forums about a rebuilt starter that a few of those guys are using with 426+ engines with success.

· Premium Member
1,659 Posts
I have a HHP/BES 11:1 426 with no start problems. Nor any idle or reverse issues though that would just be an adjustment in tune. Even remote start cranks on with out any effort. Most likely an hick up on your frie ds build or tune. Don't worry about going that rout. Just look into others that had their build from that shop to see if it's a trend or just one of the unlucky issues that were bound to have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.