Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Spinning aint winning!!
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I installed my Stage 6 ice box today and ran into a few issues. For one the coolant overflow tank will not work on the passenger side because of the vortech intercooler lines i had to put mine on the drivers side mounted to the vortech intercooler bracket it was not a simple fit either I had to bend the braket on the coolant tank and the brackets on the intercooler mounts but all in all it worked out good and was'nt to bad. Also the O ring on the icebox cap was leaking pretty bad mine had to be very tight tighter then you could get by hand and it still has a small leak I think the supplied O ring is not thick enough.

Finished install this just shows the coolant tank through the grille

This shows my clocking on the 90 degree fittings forward was straight down and rear was down and angled forward.

Installed without grille

Cap still leaking after tightening with a rubber mallet.

Coolant overflow tank location.

This shows the bolt i used to mount the coolant overflow tank.

Thuis gives you a idea how close the box actually is to the pulley I actually had to remove my little gray plastic cap that goes over the end of the pulley bolt. Also a good picture of the clocking for the fittings I used.

As you can see the the lines are in the way on this side so you can't bolt the coolant overflow tank here.

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Excellent man , so any real world results so far on running it with Ice ?

·
Spinning aint winning!!
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent man , so any real world results so far on running it with Ice ?
Not yet i just got finished and had to come in and watch the Raiders beat the Jets. Also im going to have to figure out the cap leaking it's on so tight now it would be a PITA to take on and off to add ice between runs. I even fully took it off and resealed the cap base with silcon thinking that might be the problem but it just seem to be the o ring itself.

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Thanks man For the detailed Info , you should double the fun with that Extra coated power cooler I have F/S

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
wow thats real close clearance! im sure the boys at stage 6 will be making some tweaks with all these prototypes

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
Hmmmmmmm...... time to do a touch of re-thinking. Thanks for the info and pics!! This is why we wished we had some Vortech Jeeps around here.:mad: Looks like some tweaks will be needed indeed. Was the leaking from after driving it? Wonder if your gasket just sucked vs. Eskle's gasket. Dwight and I will talk tomorrow and I'll shoot ya a PM tomorrow. Throw some ice in that thing and get us some datalogs if u don't mind. Fill it totally up with ice. Try and get us a before the ice one too if u don't mind or if you want one before the ice box install with the same ambient temps that'll work too. Thanks for the install man. We appreciate it!!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Spinning aint winning!!
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmmmmmm...... time to do a touch of re-thinking. Thanks for the info and pics!! This is why we wished we had some Vortech Jeeps around here.:mad: Looks like some tweaks will be needed indeed. Was the leaking from after driving it? Wonder if your gasket just sucked vs. Eskle's gasket. Dwight and I will talk tomorrow and I'll shoot ya a PM tomorrow. Throw some ice in that thing and get us some datalogs if u don't mind. Fill it totally up with ice. Try and get us a before the ice one too if u don't mind or if you want one before the ice box install with the same ambient temps that'll work too. Thanks for the install man. We appreciate it!!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

I don't think you need a lot of tweaks just a few it's pretty close. Also I think the issue with the leaking is with the vortech kit the icebox tank is not the highest part of the intercooler coolant system the precooler is higher so this makes the stage 6 icebox fill completely with coolant all the way up to the lid before it flows into the precooler. I believe on the Eskle's kit the ice box is the highest part and this leaves a air gap in the top of the icebox tank. so other then being splashed the cap isn't under preasure the whole time like on the vortech kit. I'll get some logs next track day which is the first part of october. Thanks Harrison :)

·
BlaBlaBla
5,197 Posts
I don't think you need a lot of tweaks just a few it's pretty close. Also I think the issue with the leaking is with the vortech kit the icebox tank is not the highest part of the intercooler coolant system the precooler is higher so this makes the stage 6 icebox fill completely with coolant all the way up to the lid before it flows into the precooler. I believe on the Eskle's kit the ice box is the highest part and this leaves a air gap in the top of the icebox tank. so other then being splashed the cap isn't under preasure the whole time like on the vortech kit. I'll get some logs next track day which is the first part of october. Thanks Harrison :)
Correct on all accounts. I have zero issues with leaks.

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
Try putting some vasaline on the gasket. Also, anyway you can verify that it's leaking at the lid and not the screw holes? We will try and get a new lid out to you today. Could be tomorrow until I can ship it but pretty sure I can get it out to you today. If you tightened it down like mad and it leaked, make us kind think maybe the screw hole/s leaked.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
That looks sick!!! I'm sure that will help keep that beast running coldddd!!

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
New lid is on it's way. You should have it tomorrow or the next day. We gave you a new lid and a new lip. There are nuts on the bottom of each screw. Should you decide to remove the lip as well. You could also try tightening the lip also, but nonetheless, you're getting a whole new top piece. Thanks for trying this out for us! We use some silicon sealant to seal the lip too.

·
Spinning aint winning!!
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New lid is on it's way. You should have it tomorrow or the next day. We gave you a new lid and a new lip. There are nuts on the bottom of each screw. Should you decide to remove the lip as well. You could also try tightening the lip also, but nonetheless, you're getting a whole new top piece. Thanks for trying this out for us! We use some silicon sealant to seal the lip too.
Thanks Harrison everything else is working great just need to get this leaking lid figured out.:)

·
Spinning aint winning!!
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Try putting some vasaline on the gasket. Also, anyway you can verify that it's leaking at the lid and not the screw holes? We will try and get a new lid out to you today. Could be tomorrow until I can ship it but pretty sure I can get it out to you today. If you tightened it down like mad and it leaked, make us kind think maybe the screw hole/s leaked.
When i say i tightened it down a lot i mean the twist on cap not the srews you can't tighten the screws much cause it will just bow and deform the base. I know the RTV has to do the sealing on the base. Tightening the screws will just make it worse. My old icebox on my lightning had a metal cap/base with a cork gasket that worked out great.

Reactions: TheBRICK

·
Registered
906 Posts
Thanks for sharing your install with us. It's a great looking product.

Harrison, has anymore thoughts been thrown around about maybe installing a coil tubing to separate the ice and coolant?

·
Spinning aint winning!!
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for sharing your install with us. It's a great looking product.

Harrison, has anymore thoughts been thrown around about maybe installing a coil tubing to separate the ice and coolant?
No problem while there is not a coil in the icebox. There is a metal screen over the ice box outlet to keep smaller cubes from going down the outlet hose it's shaped kind like a bottle cap but obviously made out of a screen material i'll try to get a picture of it if you want.

·
Spinning aint winning!!
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you guys have any picture request just let me know and i'll take some more. And hopefully i will have some data loggin results up pretty quickly.

·
Registered
906 Posts
No problem while there is not a coil in the icebox. There is a metal screen over the ice box outlet to keep smaller cubes from going down the outlet hose it's shaped kind like a bottle cap but obviously made out of a screen material i'll try to get a picture of it if you want.
That sounds nice. The huge advantage to having a coil for the coolant to go through is you wouldn't ever have to intercorse with your coolant. You would have a closed system that wouldn't leak because of the height of it. Also you wouldn't have to have the tank full unless your at the track. How it is now, you will always have to drain coolant if you ever want to open the ice box. Just my $.02.

Looks way cool though.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Gonna resurrect this one... Is there any way I can get my hands on one of these iceboxes??? E-mailed Stage 6 asking as well.

·
That guy..
1,281 Posts
I contacted Stage 6 awhile back and they said no they were not making these kits currently.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts