Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Srt clunks when u take off

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  pnut 
#1 ·
Hey guys first time hear, hi all , just wondering if anyone can help. I have a srt wk 2014 6.4. When I take off or reverse it clunks almost like my back wheels are slipping. (That probs sounds silly) changed all oils in diffs tc and did a transmision service. When the car is idling and I put it in any gear and park the tc motor sounds like its spinning for longer then it should then clicks into place. I took it to the mechanic and it disappeared so he didn't get to hear it he checked it out and said he couldnt fault it but then after 2 days it has came back being worse. I hope you all can understand this and can be of some assistance. Cheers

#2 ·
This was part of a redonkulous "upgrade/recall" that the 2014s got back in the day. I don't think it was ever resolved. Jeep said deal with it.

#4 ·
Ok I had this question when I got mine too. It’s the torque converter lockup. The way these engage it’s very noticeable. This is something I had to figure out on my own and the way I did it was riding in a built rat rod with a manual lockup switch. The way that trans feels compared to ours was spot on in feel and all. All new transmissions are lockups. The rate at which it engages is obviously different between vehicles and on ours between the sport and track and auto modes. You should notice the violence escalates as you turn the knob towards track mode. That’s because the lockup is changing. It’s nothing to worry about is the moral of the story. I should note that the lockup is to ease the shifts internally. Kinda like burning the clutch on a manual. In track that mf is instantly engaged so that’s why it’s hard shifting as you go up the knob. The clunk happens when it’s transitioning from unlock to locked. It’s very quick. And yes it does it in reverse too. Mine does everything exactly as you said. Don’t throw any money at it. Going on two years with mine daily driving and have absolutely no issues. Don’t waste your money dude.

#8 ·
After reading SubiJeepster’s post, I did some experimenting. The CLUNK is way more noticeable in regular mode. In SPORT and TRACK, disappears. The feeling in regular mode is this… from a stop i apply light throttle, the car slowly lurches forward, and then there’s a distinct. Doing the same in the other modes, there is no clunk.

Anyone else experience this? Is this normal and nothing to be worried about?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.