Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys idk what happen but here is how it happen.

I was on my way home last night an decided to run the jeep a few times sine it was one of the coldest nights we have had so far something like 55 degrees. Well i did like 3 1/4 mile passes an my last one i did i pulled in someones driveway to turn around an my oil light came on i checked the oil pressure an it was on 3psi so i killed. Also noticed smoke coming from under the hood so i jump out an pop the hood an my coolant tank is empty an my radiator cap is cold coolant everywhere! i checked my oil it is fine i let it sit for 2 hours an filled the res back up an tried to put some in the radiator an it only took a hair so iam really stumped. Well when i cranked it back up to see now just sitting on idle its only reading 8-9psi oil pressure so i start driving an didnt go over 30mph an it wold go to 23-25psi an the exhaust has a different sound note to it. Got home the radiator cap is still ice cold an temp gauge is fine but had steam coming from under the hood once again. So guys iam really stumped so far this is what i have been told i have wrong, spun cam bearing,hole in pinston,head gasket blown,bent or broken valve,failed t stat,oil pump is bad,water pump went out so i still dont know what wrong it idles fine surging or rough idle seems to drive fine except the fact that it sounds different. iam leaning towards failed t stat causing the rad cap to be cold an boil the other coolant out an the motor steaming out the water from the block an it having nothing in it causing the different exhaust note but what would it have to do with oil pressure. Someone lead me in the right direction here.

Sorry so long iam just still in shock of what happen its my only ride i have right now.

Brandon

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry i forgot they weren't in my sig anymore. vortech with 30 tooth,dyno tune,kooks long tubes no cats,magnaflow catback,ppp heads,ppp track warrior cam,180 tstat,AFR 11.2,2 step colder plugs

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
Lack of coolant flow into the radiator (either stat is stuck closed or the water pump isn't engaging) and low, low oil pressure that trends up a little during runtime, but you have plenty of oil (and no coolant in the oil?), with coolant in the engine bay. I wouldn't think its a valve, you'd hear that, but something's definitely up. I take it that belts are engaging and that your accessories are working.

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
sorry i forgot they weren't in my sig anymore. vortech with 30 tooth,dyno tune,kooks long tubes no cats,magnaflow catback,ppp heads,ppp track warrior cam,180 tstat,AFR 11.2,2 step colder plugs

AFR 11.2 , But You mention colder nights ? what was you AFR at WOT on those runs as 20* lower can trow your fuel off to the leaner side dramatically on FI Cars .

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
on those runs my afr was 11.2. an yea my accessories are working nothing else seems to be wrong other then the coolant all in the engine bay an the different sound of the engine i think is due to not having any water in it but the oil pressure is throwing me in left field idk why it could be so low.

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
how were the coolant and oil temps during these issues?

Did you source the coolant leak, was it that typical firewall hose blow off or is it coming from somewhere else?

Source the coolant leak. That might help. With oil pressure that low on start up, I'd say she needs some look see behind the front cover first to see if the oil pump crapped and then at the internals if that doesn't prove productive. I could say main bearings just because they're inside the engine and all, but who knows until you look. The lack of coolant flow might have caused some heat which caused some other more substantive issues inside. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
I would pull the t-stat. Maybee gasket fail there. Takes 10 minutes

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
100 Posts
Something happened to the motor last night

Trailblazer SSSS,
Well I am sad to say it but welcome to my nightmare. I posted a few days ago about my motor "crapping out." No warning from Gauges except OBDII light. I pulled the truck off the road after six miles to cycle ignition. Too late - motor cooked. Hose blown off at radiator and engine connection. I was just informed by Chrysler "Quality" division that they will not assist with repairs. Dealer in Carson City, Nevada pulled the thermosat and discovered it was closed shut. It has been exaclty 4 weeks today that my JEEP went down. Change the hoses and get rid of that TS if it is the stock part. You will get no sympathy from Chrysler!:mad:

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I finally had some time last night to check things out I blew off the hose on the tstat housing due to the elbow was cracked for some reason. So I got a new one boiled the stat made sure it was working it was cleaned up a few exposed vaccum lines under the hood an went to crank up the jeep an I had ot lacked up an it was pouring water out bad!!! Right abouve the lower radiator hose an right below the garage housing does the 6.1 water pump have a peep hole that pours water out when the pump is bad ? Oh also when I cranked it up my oil pressure was like 49 50 on cold start then came down a lil but wasn't like the other night.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
well sounds like the oil pressure is good. but i would still drain the oil and check for antifreeze, you can always just pour it back in if theres not. Most water pumps do have a weeper hole in them. Only way to know for sure it to start it up and look under there and try to pin point it. sounds like your pump or tstat didnt work, and made the coolant in the reservoir boil and blow out everywhere....

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what I was thinking but I boiled the stat it opened at 178 an worked everytime. I think running it blew the hose off the stat housing causeing the water to boil in the block an water pump an burned it up iam hoping that's all but I started it last night an was under neath it an its pouring water from under the tstat an above the lower water pump hose only thing I can think of is the water pump little hole

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think it may have been up a little bit since it was cold outside well cool anyways it came right down

1 - 15 of 15 Posts