Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I experimented with some PLasti-Dip. This stuff is amazing!!!

The first time I ever saw an SRT8 it was all black, murdered out. And i fell in love.

The one I purchased wasnt so I gave it a touch up to look like this:

Then I discovered plasti-dip and thought I'd go for the look that made me want an SRT8 in the first place. So I did it. Here it is (sorry for the crappy iPhone pic and garage lighting but it was raining and my truck is allergic to Rain when its clean!

Any thought on this? Which looks better??

I love them both!!!

TIA!

:banana_hitit:

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Looks good all black out .. where are you guys buying the paint ?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS!

Its Plasti-Dip. Home depot, Menards, Lowes. ABout $6 bucks a can. It took me three cans.

Over spray peels off, otherwise just clay bar it

·
Has Been
8,532 Posts
Now you just need to get DC Special Headlights or stillens to cover up those amber markers and spray your exhaust tips and your completely murdered!!! Looks great man, nice work! Murder FTMFW!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Looks good, but IMO I really hope this plasti craze ends soon. The stuff is junk, when compared to powdercoated or painted wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Looks good, but IMO I really hope this plasti craze ends soon. The stuff is junk, when compared to powdercoated or painted wheels.

I gotta agree.... It looks good now...but I'm concerned that it will start looking bad pretty fast, after a few washes. It is great for tools....used it a few times. ;)

·
Registered
814 Posts
how was it sticking to the trim around the windows and door chrome? did you just clean it and sprayed on? i have 6 cans i was going to do the same thing but heard you have to scuff the chrome for it to stick and i waited.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Wouldnt it just peel off after awhile or does it actually stick to it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
in the first one, it looks alot like AMG rims on Mercedes S65 mostly.

I would say the second option too.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Blacked out is the best !!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

im sure it is junk compared to powdercoat. but then again i'd rather pay $18 than a few hundred. If you saw my first post i did it to get the appearance. and if i want i can remove it. for free.

$18 or $hundreds? you do the math.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how was it sticking to the trim around the windows and door chrome? did you just clean it and sprayed on? i have 6 cans i was going to do the same thing but heard you have to scuff the chrome for it to stick and i waited.
i didnt scuff anything. i just cleaned the pieces and then sprayed. make sure you come from the top down otherwise the bulk of the chrome will get sprayed but the top (the part that touches your arm when you hang it out the window) will only get a light coat.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wouldnt it just peel off after awhile or does it actually stick to it.
its sticking so far! a part peeled when i removed the taping but i just picked off the clump and sprayed right on top of the rest- blended perfectly

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
im sure it is junk compared to powdercoat. but then again i'd rather pay $18 than a few hundred. If you saw my first post i did it to get the appearance. and if i want i can remove it. for free.

$18 or $hundreds? you do the math.
I completly understand if you or someone wanted to see if they could live with "blacked out wheels" but if thats someone's overall goal with the truck... than its completely mickey mouse. $18 or not.... A plasti dipped wheel looks like an extremly dirty painted or PC's gloss black wheel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You can buy the moulding`s ata Jeep Dealership, it cost me about $300.00 and another $120.00 to get all the pieces put on in Edmonton, plus I ordered all black rims from a company in the States.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
looks nice. the wheels are nice LOOKING but like said, it doesnt belong on the jeep for anything other than winter driving. save or bite the bullet for real paint or PC. i say with the chrome tips and clear reverse, take the plasti off the moldings and trim. thats just my opinion.

i had the same thing on my wheels a long time ago. liked the look a lot.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Personally I hoped the term "murdered" ended long ago. Murdered-out is played out.

Jeep looks okay though.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Looks good to me! Good work! Best part is, if you want to go back to chrome, its so easy :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts