Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading an article about ferrite cores in a tech blog. Ferrite cores are the lumps you see on a lot of computer cables. They are suppose to block radio interference with electronics. I did some research online and found that people had success using them to block FM radio interference when installing HIDs so I decided to give it a try. I found them for sale at a HAM radio store by my house for about $4 each.

You'll need one for each ballast. Just clamp them around the cable that goes to the HID bulb. I added a zip tie around it to make sure it doesn't come loose. It works like a dream. I get almost no interference now, even when I'm in underground parking.

· Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
so, the HIDs cause interference with your radio? how did you notice?

· Registered
5,046 Posts
Interesting.....I've never had any radio interference from the HIDs I put on any car. What HID kit do you have?

· Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only really noticed it with FM radio, especially when I would drive in parking structures. I never listen to AM so I can't comment. I forget what brand it I have, it came with slim ballasts.

· Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@ gerd, I noticed the radio interference because I park my car underground at work. When I would auto start my car, the radio sounded fine, but when I'd put the key in and the headlights would turn on, I'd get some static. I tried turning off the fogs, which I upgraded to HID, and the static was gone. I have stock HID headlights btw.

· Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
interesting, i will see if mine does this, i never noticed.

· Premium Member
893 Posts
Awesome research man. I have this problem and it's been really annoying. I will have to give it a try. Can you post up some pics?

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

· Registered
11,229 Posts
Mine does the same thing , buddy's JEEP as well , never cared as I listen to SAT radio , but only happens with FM/AM , CD SAT is 100% fine .

· Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Sorry, but I didn't take any pics during the install. I've included pics of what the ferrite cores look like though. The ones I bought are the boxy looking ones below because that's all the radio store had. The other ones look pretty cool, but they all function the same and I'd never see them since they are hidden behind the grill anyways. I have my ballasts for my HID fogs mounted behind the grill on the bumper crossmember held on with double sided tape. The guy at the HAM radio shop said that I should mount the cores as close to the ballasts as possible on the high output side. That would be the wire that goes to the bulb, NOT the 12V source. If you want to do mail order, I found out PartsExpress has them. Just do a search for ferrite cores, ferrite beads, or ferrite chokes. They just clamp around the wire and snap into place, so I added a zip tie around it so it doesn't shake loose. They guy at the radio shop said that I could add more if I need, but only two were necessary, one per ballast.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.