Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Solo Performance WK2-Thunder-Res Catback Exhaust Kit

Fitment: Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT WK2 (2012–present)

Pricing: $1324

Shipping: FREE to the continental US and some parts of Canada

*Please note that many parts of Canada have an additional shipping fee and all Canadian orders are subject to the required provincial tax. Prices are in US dollars, and will be converted to CA based on the current exchange rate.

Kit Description:

All of us at Solo Performance are excited to bring our Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT WK2-Thunder-Res 3”, free flow, stainless steel exhaust kit to the Jeep community. This is a full 3” stainless steel, mandrel bent exhaust kit that fits the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2012-present WK2). This cat-back exhaust kit offers a deep, mean, 60’s muscle car sound without the drone usually associated with three inch free flow. On the outside of the Jeep the system sounds deep, rich, raw and mean like 60’s muscle should sound. On the inside, it is non-invasive and no drone. You really have to hear it from the outside to appreciate the full extent of the 60’s muscle car tone. This is a “sound on demand” exhaust system that produces the sound you want when accelerating or revving, but becomes much quieter at cruise speeds. Solo has replaced that annoying cruise speed cabin drone with a comfortable, non-invasive exhaust note through advanced technology and a painstaking R&D process. Solo’s 2012 WK2-Thunder-Res exhaust kit comes with a front H-Pipe, four free flow Solo resonators, two of which are 55 degree angled resonators, and Solo’s rear tunable J-Pipes.

How do the tunable J pipes work?

These J-pipes are capped off on the end, and as the sound waves enter the J-pipe, they bottom out on the end cap and bounce back. Upon the sound wave re-entering the exhaust flow, it collides with the specific Jeep SRT drone frequency and cancels it out. The Solo tailpipe section has been built with ease of installation in mind. The pivotal, telescoping tailpipe assembly gives you an easy way to center the stock exhaust tips (stock exhaust tips and collar clamp are reused)

Experience 60`s muscle car sound on the outside and a non-invasive exhaust note on the inside with the Solo Performance WK2-Thunder-Res 3” mandrel bent, stainless steel Jeep SRT cat-back exhaust kit…tomorrow’s technology on today’s Jeep.

Exhaust Kit Specifications:

• Stainless steel dual cat-back exhaust kit
  • 3” Mandrel bent, stainless steel exhaust pipes
  • Completely BOLT-ON using only regular tools
  • All hardware included
  • Heavy duty reinforced hangers
  • Front H-Pipe to equalize the cylinder pressure and smooth out the exhaust note
  • 3" free flow MR300S Solo resonators in the front
  • 55 degree 3" free flow angled Solo resonators in the rear
  • Heavy duty 3/8” thick flanges used in the front
  • Rear J-Pipes to eliminate that annoying cabin drone
  • Rear pivotal, telescoping tailpipe assembly for ease of installation
  • Stock exhaust tips and clamp collar to be reused
  • The Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT is loaded with special features. Complete the look and sound with a Solo Performance WK2-Thunder-Res exhaust kit
Included in your Delivery:

This product includes a 3” dual cat-back, stainless steel exhaust kit with front H-Pipe, free flow MR300S resonators, free flow 3” angled resonators, exhaust pipes, J-Pipes (preset by us), and all necessary hardware.

To order, please contact:

Steve Mariano
Solo Performance Sales and Customer Service
516-655-9002 (7 days, until midnight EST)
[email protected]
http://www.solo-performance.com

Installation Guide and Pictures: Install instructions attached in PDF format, along with pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
^ I too am curious about dyno numbers vs stock. nixlimited this looks like a catback system which means it would eliminate the mechanical valves on the 14 wk2 jeep srt8 exhaust system.

·
Registered
104 Posts
No one I have seen advertises HP or Torque figures for Jeep SRT exhausts: Borla, GTHaus, Corsa, Magnaflow, SW, BB. Although Mopar says there is some HP and Torque gains with their performance system but publishes no numbers. This is a testament to the performance quality of the stock exhaust. At max. RPM you could argue there would be a small HP gain with any of these systems.

When an OEM puts a restrictive item in the exhaust system to save money, then you see everyone boasting 10 lb-ft to 40 HP gains. A larger diameter, more free flowing exhaust should mean a small drop in torque for the 6.4L. with or without the valve.

These Jeeps are too well insulated for most of us so people are just looking for more and better sound.

Just my thoughts, I would love to be proven wrong.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This has been tested with pre-2015 cars that have the valves to reduce MDS drone?

And has it been dyno tested?
Yes, we tested it on the pre-2015 model as well and got the same results. Because of the effectiveness of the J pipes, we could eliminate the mechanical valves with no issues and no CEL's.

We have not put it on the dyno. It is a 3", mandrel bent, free flow kit. It has enough back pressure to not affect torque on the low end. After driving with it for quite some time, there is no feel of any lost power. If anything, it pulls quite strongly.

^ I too am curious about dyno numbers vs stock. nixlimited this looks like a catback system which means it would eliminate the mechanical valves on the 14 wk2 jeep srt8 exhaust system.
It does eliminate them with no negative effects. The J pipes we use, accomplish the same thing but much more effectively with such a free flowing exhaust.

What grade of stainless is used for the Solo system?
The pipes are T409 and the resonators are all polished T304. There is no reason to use T304 on all of the piping, as it is way more costly and not as durable because it is a softer grade of stainless. Unless you're putting mirrors under the car, there is no need for the added cost and decreased durability.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Do they J-pipes have to be adjusted by the end user to get the right drone reduction, or do they come adjusted for optimal performance?

As a 2014 owner, it's difficult to purchase something without a review from someone with the kit on a newly valve-less car. My understanding is that the 2015+ have active noise cancellation through the stereo and that no-doubt would be working even after an exhaust upgrade. I'm also conscious that Borla advertises "no drone" and even has videos to "prove it", and yet many people here have complained of drone with it.

If you want a thorough review and dyno test on a 2014 car, send one my way. If it lives up to the promise, I'll pay for it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do they J-pipes have to be adjusted by the end user to get the right drone reduction, or do they come adjusted for optimal performance?

As a 2014 owner, it's difficult to purchase something without a review from someone with the kit on a newly valve-less car. My understanding is that the 2015+ have active noise cancellation through the stereo and that no-doubt would be working even after an exhaust upgrade. I'm also conscious that Borla advertises "no drone" and even has videos to "prove it", and yet many people here have complained of drone with it.

If you want a thorough review and dyno test on a 2014 car, send one my way. If it lives up to the promise, I'll pay for it.
Thanks so much for the post. We preset the J pipes for you. They swivel as well, to ensure that they don't come close to touching anything. The length itself is preset. You are able to adjust them if you heavily mod the car with things such as a cam, heads, etc., which could change the drone frequency. Other than that, there is no need to touch them. The kit also needs to break in for a minimum of 500 miles. During that break in, do not touch the J pipe setting. Carbon needs to build up inside the pipes, which will smooth and fill out the exhaust note.

Some of our presale kits that were sent out were on pre-2015 models. We tested both the pre and post 2015 SRT's. The issue comes when people do not have a clear understanding of what drone is. Drone is a deep, bassy hum that hurts your ears. With our kit, you will hear that you have a performance exhaust, but it will not hurt your ears. There are just some people that shouldn't get an exhaust in the first place because they like it quiet. I daily drive mine...and I certainly would not keep any kit on my Jeep that would drive me crazy every day. I am also constantly on my Bluetooth with customers, so to have a loud car on the interior is a deal breaker for me.

Thanks so much!

Steve

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks so much for the post. We preset the J pipes for you. They swivel as well, to ensure that they don't come close to touching anything. The length itself is preset. You are able to adjust them if you heavily mod the car with things such as a cam, heads, etc., which could change the drone frequency. Other than that, there is no need to touch them. The kit also needs to break in for a minimum of 500 miles. During that break in, do not touch the J pipe setting. Carbon needs to build up inside the pipes, which will smooth and fill out the exhaust note.

Some of our presale kits that were sent out were on pre-2015 models. We tested both the pre and post 2015 SRT's. The issue comes when people do not have a clear understanding of what drone is. Drone is a deep, bassy hum that hurts your ears. With our kit, you will hear that you have a performance exhaust, but it will not hurt your ears. There are just some people that shouldn't get an exhaust in the first place because they like it quiet. I daily drive mine...and I certainly would not keep any kit on my Jeep that would drive me crazy every day. I am also constantly on my Bluetooth with customers, so to have a loud car on the interior is a deal breaker for me.

Thanks so much!

Steve
Cool. I'm a believer in the design. I helped design the exhaust for my GT-R using similar j-pipes (i.e., helmholtz resonators). Picture attached for fun. I look forward to more customer reviews of your kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Sounds fantastic!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool. I'm a believer in the design. I helped design the exhaust for my GT-R using similar j-pipes (i.e., helmholtz resonators). Picture attached for fun. I look forward to more customer reviews of your kit.
That's really nice! That's quite a piece of art!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Thanks so much....we worked really hard on getting it to sound great! You have to hear it in person! The video doesn't even do it justice.
I especially like how you reuse the tips for super stealth. I'm one click away from seeing if there are any shops near me that will install non-factory exhaust systems.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I especially like how you reuse the tips for super stealth. I'm one click away from seeing if there are any shops near me that will install non-factory exhaust systems.
Let the shops know it is a bolt on system. They do not have to cut or weld anything. It's a one hour install by a qualified shop.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow and will be replacing my axle-back Borla S on a 2015. If timing works out, I'll hopefully have it installed by Friday (just in time to pick up the wife at the airport and see if she notices anything different).

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow and will be replacing my axle-back Borla S on a 2015. If timing works out, I'll hopefully have it installed by Friday (just in time to pick up the wife at the airport and see if she notices anything different).
I'm curious why you're making the switch?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Just getting bored with my current set-up and felt like spending some money to try something different.

I've got a 3-month old, so maybe it is a premature mid-life crisis. :wink2:
Fair enough!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I posted this in the exhaust thread before realizing I meant to post it here as I had originally mentioned here that I was awaiting my kit.

I installed my Solo exhaust today and I give it 2 thumbs up. All components appear to be well-made and the install was straight forward with no tweaks needed. The clearance on the driver side at the a-arm mount appears to be a bit tight, but there is no rubbing at all while driving. Around town the sound is mellow and refined with no drone that I could detect. At WOT the exhaust screams and sounds amazing. I spent the last hour just driving around town testing out various speeds and hills, etc and my 3 month old slept the entire time. I definitely would not hesitate to recommend this system to anyone.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts