Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed after driving my truck hard one weekend that it now idles slightly higher at about 800 RPMs and it’s got an odd louder noise when idling that increases as I rev the engine. Definitely an added noise on top of the normal engine noise. It’s not really a ticking noise but more of a lower tone whirl or growl. The AC is off and the engine is warmed up.

Speedometer Vehicle Car Gauge Motor vehicle

Any ideas on what could be causing it? There are no Check Engine lights on.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It’s definitely more noticeable when I lift the hood and hard to tell but might be coming from the front. Would a dying water pump cause the higher idling?
I imagine if the water pump was going you may see slightly higher or lower rpm. Hard to say for sure as of right now. Grab a listening stick and put it up to the water pump housing and listen through it. Need a piece of PVC pipe. Like 3/4in diameter by like 4 ft long. It'll amplify and isolate noise coming through the tube to your ear based on where you place the other end. It will help you to isolate the noise. That's what my next step would be.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You'll know when your losing a water pump in these. Usually the tell tale signs are:
Weeping pumps that drip on serpentine belts that sling coolant
Antifreeze smell
Grab the pump pulley, give it a few good tugs back and forth(towards and away from the windshield). If it moves the bearing is probably wasted. This is also accompanied by a few different sounds, most that are embarrassing when heard in public.

I've been working on cars for a very long time, and I've never seen an idle change with a bad pump.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I noticed after driving my truck hard one weekend that it now idles slightly higher at about 800 RPMs and it’s got an odd louder noise when idling that increases as I rev the engine. Definitely an added noise on top of the normal engine noise. It’s not really a ticking noise but more of a lower tone whirl or growl. The AC is off and the engine is warmed up.

View attachment 231456

Any ideas on what could be causing it? There are no Check Engine lights on.
Take the belt off and start it for a few seconds and see if the noise is gone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up taking the truck in to a local shop today as we have a road trip coming up and didn't want to take any chances. Upon initial inspection, they believe it's one of the pulleys, but will need to put a stethoscope on them to find out which one. I'll let you know what they find it to be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts