Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mods, please move if I put in the wrong section.

Hi all,

I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Srt8 with a slightly damaged left side view mirror. The glass is fine, as well as most of the housing. The plastic part that attaches to the door has a crack in it so its not like I can get it repaired by a body shop.

My mirror has the blinker signal, auto-dim, blindspot, heat, power, memory, etc and I am unable to find one at a decent price. I was wondering IF it would be possible to buy a similar mirror that doesn't have the same features (blindspot, etc) and different harness since they are cheaper and just swap out all of the internals such as the motor, wiring harness, etc from my existing housing into the newly ordered on? The main thing is the transfer the cabling so I retain all of the features of my original.

I would really appreciate any input you guys can give me. Thank you!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ok so my advice comes with a big disclaimer and that is my jeep is a 2014 so im not really sure if our side mirrors are the same. However I have replaced both side mirror housings at two different times. One was a year after I got the vehicle when I was careless backing into a one car garage (passenger side at night) and the other was more recently when I was living in florida and came back to the airport to find my mirror hanging on the side (someone must have scraped me as I have very subtle scrape on door too in airport parking). You absolutely can buy a similar housing even from a different trim grand cherokee and it often should work, just be aware some of the internals are actually different. On my driver side all the electronics and the mirror and front facing turn indicator were fine so I literally just replaced the black plastic housing nd chucked the rest (bought it off ebay and I think it was for a much lower trim level). There is a bolt (or maybe its a screw) underneath the mirror if it its folded that allows you to take it off. My advise is match it as best you can and be prepared to take out the internals from the old mirror if you need too. You may actually have to damage the new mirrors internals to take it apart and thats fine if all you need is the black housing. It is definitely doable and looks stock. Takes maybe 15 min to take off and put on but will take longer to disassemble all the parts.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so my advice comes with a big disclaimer and that is my jeep is a 2014 so im not really sure if our side mirrors are the same. However I have replaced both side mirror housings at two different times. One was a year after I got the vehicle when I was careless backing into a one car garage (passenger side at night) and the other was more recently when I was living in florida and came back to the airport to find my mirror hanging on the side (someone must have scraped me as I have very subtle scrape on door too in airport parking). You absolutely can buy a similar housing even from a different trim grand cherokee and it often should work, just be aware some of the internals are actually different. On my driver side all the electronics and the mirror and front facing turn indicator were fine so I literally just replaced the black plastic housing nd chucked the rest (bought it off ebay and I think it was for a much lower trim level). There is a bolt (or maybe its a screw) underneath the mirror if it its folded that allows you to take it off. My advise is match it as best you can and be prepared to take out the internals from the old mirror if you need too. You may actually have to damage the new mirrors internals to take it apart and thats fine if all you need is the black housing. It is definitely doable and looks stock. Takes maybe 15 min to take off and put on but will take longer to disassemble all the parts.

Thanks for the response. I will try to swap out all of the internals and see if that works. I did end up buying a cheap one on ebay that doesnt have all of the same features but hopefully the housing is exactly the same. Thank you again. Much appreciated!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts