Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what some of your opinions are with short drives in the Jeep.

My current drive to work is only about 5 miles. I typically let her get to normal idle and head to work. I'm just wondering if not allowing it to get up to operating temp will have any long term consequences. Temps never get over 160 before getting to work. Jeep is stock with stock thermostat, as far as I know.

Jeremy

· Premium Lurker
4,224 Posts
I'm somewhat in the same situation as you, so this is a concern of mine as well. Obviously, short-trip driving is especially hard on oil because the engine never warms up enough to boil off the moisture that accumulates inside the crankcase. The engine also doesn't get the chance to burn off contaminents in the combustion chambers properly and the oil doesn't get hot enough to boil them out. Obviously not good. Also, if the engine does not get to full operating temp, the exhaust won't get hot enough to dry out any of this moisture, which could lead to the exhaust rusting out before its time.

This being said, frequent oil changes are a definite must. And if you have to do short runs like this all week, you might want to consider taking a good one-hour highway run every weekend to burn off that stuff. I use this as justification for a 'spirited' weekend romp. ;)

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I typically do all the weekend run-a-rounds in the Jeep. I always find a stretch of road that's calling my name and have a little fun. Just to make sure she stays happy:D

M-F she gets very little attention. I may have to find a longer way, even if I have to drive past home and back again.

· The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Take the long way. I've been known to get "lost" for a couple hours just running to the store real quick.

Jim
Hell yeah, years later and I'm still getting lost. Plus I don't mind feeding a little speed to the ride now and then ?

Sent from my iPhone 4S

· Registered
611 Posts
I've been known to get "lost" for a couple hours just running to the store real quick.

Jim

Hahaha. Just today the wife sends me out to get diapers, milk and lotto tickets to the corner store 1 mile away. 30 minutes later and she says did you have fun :rofl:
I love driving the SRT.

Reactions: J&D's SRT's
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.