Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been noticing this clunk on downshifts randomly when driving in normal auto mode. Then I started testing it in manual mode and on a fairly hard downshift, I get a huge noticeable clunk. It doesn't happen all the time, but definitely happens when braking and downshifting. I also noticed it last night when going from park to reverse. No clunking when downshifting when applying throttle, smooth as silk.

Anyone else? The clunk is coming from the rear of the vehicle, so could it be the diff or transfer case? I'm going to schedule a dealer visit soon and get all fluids changed since I'm already over 1k miles. I do see Chrysler has had a clunk issue by doing a random search, but most cases are clunking when going from park to drive or park to reverse.

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
While auto sticking the trans shifts will be more noticeable, owners guide mentions it. During startup the tranny does a self test and has a hard shift. Shifting operation changes as the fluid comes to normal operating temp.

Once your warmed up and driving auto should be smooth unless auto sticking.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
While auto sticking the trans shifts will be more noticeable, owners guide mentions it. During startup the tranny does a self test and has a hard shift. Shifting operation changes as the fluid comes to normal operating temp.

Once your warmed up and driving auto should be smooth unless auto sticking.

Sent from my iPhone 4S
I'm not talking general "smoothness" of shifts, I fully understand and know the jerkiness of auto sticking. It's the noticeable "clunk" sound when downshifting in auto shift mode when coming to a stop. The loudest is 3rd to 2nd downshift when coming to a stop with a little speed behind you. The auto shift mode of any vehicle will be jerky, I fully understand that, but this is more of a noise than a feel and something that is very noticeable and bothersome to me. You can also hear it occasionally when in normal auto mode when downshifting from a harder braking situation. The noise is also definitely coming from the rear portion of the car.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the same issue. Really noticeable when you stop last minute. Guess its the tranny catching up. I also get noise coming from reverse to drive. I even hear noise when I back up in the morning out if he driveway, put it in drive and turn the wheel. Just turning the steering wheel back and forth, before I release the brake, makes noises out of the rear end. Went to dealer already once on rear end noises and they said everything sounds normal. Between the whistling and farting from eco mode, and the rear end, there is always some kind of funky noise coming from somewhere in the truck that is not your typical mechanical noise.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the same issue. Really noticeable when you stop last minute. Guess its the tranny catching up. I also get noise coming from reverse to drive. I even hear noise when I back up in the morning out if he driveway, put it in drive and turn the wheel. Just turning the steering wheel back and forth, before I release the brake, makes noises out of the rear end. Went to dealer already once on rear end noises and they said everything sounds normal. Between the whistling and farting from eco mode, and the rear end, there is always some kind of funky noise coming from somewhere in the truck that is not your typical mechanical noise.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Yup, same thing only I don't get any rear end noise when turning the wheel back and forth, just the clunking.

So my feeling is it doesn't seem to be the tranny since the noise is from the rear, it must be the diff or transfer case. I'm going to push my dealer to change all fluids and I'm going to road test it with them so they hear the noise.

You can all but eliminate it on auto shifting with just a little throttle. When you throttle a little on downshifting, all you get is a nice smooth noise free downshift, a thing of beauty.

SRT8am, keep pressing your dealer and if enough of us complain the engineers might look into it. Do a "Chrysler 5 speed clunk" search on Google and you get some results.

Reactions: srt8AM

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
How many miles on your guys Jeeps?

The clunk from fast speed and quick stopping could be a jolt in the drive line causing the sound. Tranny mounts or motor mounts.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Just thinking but could this be anything like the down shift jolt guys with the WK1's get after installing blue top solenoids. Maybe they put those in second gen SRT'S. Again just thinking.

Jim
I've wondered that with the power increase what was done to the NAG1. To me the tranny feels the same from
WK1 to WK2 all around. Auto or auto sticking. I've put mine through its paces. Sometime in Track mode auto sticking I'll feel shifts that seem more like my Tuned WK1 shifts. Overall, nothing seems out of the ordinary to me.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How many miles on your guys Jeeps?

The clunk from fast speed and quick stopping could be a jolt in the drive line causing the sound. Tranny mounts or motor mounts.

Sent from my iPhone 4S
I have about 1k miles.

Drive line jolt I doubt because I heard the same clunk when shifting from reverse to drive today. I highly doubt 1 or 2 mph in reverse to a stop, to a shift into drive would cause a drive line jolt enough to shake motor or trans mounts.

And this is for sure a noise from the rear, much farther rear than where the trans is mounted. It definitely sounds like something in the rear jumping when the gear is selected and changed.

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
the jolt comment was intended for the high speed to quick stops scenario.

I had a rear end clunk/engaging noise from reverse to drive but it's gone now. Give it some time. Maybe just parts wearing in? I'm close to 6K miles on mine.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have a clunk. I don't know if it's in the front or the back of the truck. But it only happens when I slow down slowly, and right at about 3-5 mph I get a clunk that you can feel from your feet as well...almost every time. Also, when I turn the wheel and back up, no matter which direction, the whole truck vibrates. Nothing is rubbing. I believe that could just be an alignment issue...but I have I don't know what the clunking is...I myself may think the transfer case is going..I haven't had time to bring it in because of work but I eventually will. Only 22k miles on my 09 Jeep

Edit: I just noticed this is for the wk2's....oops...but hey, if i'm getting it as well, it may be tranny related since we share the same trans

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yup, same thing only I don't get any rear end noise when turning the wheel back and forth, just the clunking.

So my feeling is it doesn't seem to be the tranny since the noise is from the rear, it must be the diff or transfer case. I'm going to push my dealer to change all fluids and I'm going to road test it with them so they hear the noise.

You can all but eliminate it on auto shifting with just a little throttle. When you throttle a little on downshifting, all you get is a nice smooth noise free downshift, a thing of beauty.

SRT8am, keep pressing your dealer and if enough of us complain the engineers might look into it. Do a "Chrysler 5 speed clunk" search on Google and you get some results.
Thanks, will do a little research later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i only seem to get a clunk when i am in auto mode. While cruising and I left off the gas, it upshifts. As I step on the gas again, it downshifts and clunks. I have tried several ways of laying on the gas after the upshift with little success. Clunks almost every time. Nothing though in sport mode.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Is this the kind of clunk your talking about? I have had this issue for about a year noww....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.