Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting this 'notation' on the little LCD on the dash (time/temp etc) and there's no rhyme or reason to it. Just goes bing and shows up about twice when I'm driving around for 10-30 minutes. Can't find anything about it in the owners manual.

Anyone else had this issue and what does it mean? I'm thinking it's got something to do with parking but it only happens when I'm driving down the street etc.

thanks

Craig

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Yea mine has went off as well,only when it was raining,so I attribute it to water being on the sensors giving it a wacky reading.If it does it in the dry then that's a different story.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I had the same problem, at the same time the readout that shows which gear u r in tripped out and ALL gears had a square aroud n them like the car was not sure what egar it was in. I think you car thin ks its in reverse and the camera and sensors are not on that is why it tells you to service the park assist. I went to the dealer and after 2 days of troubleshootng they replaced my TCM.
I have had it come back randomly but not as often, pretty weird I think it has something to do with the transmission

·
Registered
446 Posts
I had the same message pop up twice before... dry days and about 10min from home. But hasn't repeated lately. No other symptoms. I'll put it on the list for the next dealer trip as well.

·
Registered
784 Posts
It has to do w/ the Electronic Shift Module (ESM) in the shift bezel. They are prone to go bad and cause all kinds of issues. Limp mode and the "service park assist" are most popular from what i hear. I jsut had mine replaced b/c it was throwing all kinds of codes and would go into limp mode and CEL "service park assist" would come up.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Same here -- on rainy days, my parking sensor goes off without any obstruction behind me. It's an annoyance right now but it's on my list of things to check on my next visit to the dealership.
This happened a couple of time today. Put the Jeep in reverse and beeeeeeeeeeeep.

We had a 2005 WK and this never happened. I am going to have the dealer look at it next time I am there. This only happens in the rain.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wow, odd timing, I was just going to post on this.. My jeep has been acting really funny over the past few days, and has been tossing that service park assist code up. Here is a quick list of what I'm experiencing and see if anyone else has had the same issues. I've started seeing this since the temp has dropped with the onset of fall, and then more in the past few days.

1. After hitting the throttle somewhat hard when in 1st (50% and above) the jeep says "service park assist" and goes into some sort of limp mode for about 5-10 seconds then acts normally again.

2. EXTREMELY hard downshifts in autostick from 2-1.. like lock up all the tires hard.

3. When shifting from park to reverse the trans jerks like a mo-fo and spins the tires

4. and an intermittent check engine light for the TCM. (happened once, and cleared itself)

5. high / lumpy idle while in park

6. getting a box around P R N D at the dame time

7. This happened a while ago, but simalar issue.. was driving with the cruise control at about 80 minding my own business when the jeep dinged and I got the box around P R N D.. next thing I know it downshifts to 3rd and floors it all on its own up to about 110. I decide to intervene by hitting the brakes and the jeep simply settles down and acts normal again. Thank God no one was with me / in front of me.

All of these have happened once between Thursday and Sunday for me. Then, poof all is good starting last night.. wtf?

On a side note my fog lights stopped working at the same time. doubt it is the same thing just bizarre.

·
Registered
869 Posts
yup that is very similar to me. One day it tripped out taking off from the light... very random cant see a pattern and I assume very had to diagnose by dealer since it is very intermittent. I have a new TCM but it stiill happens randomly (although much less). would be nice to know exactly what it is if anybody had it go away completely.

·
Registered
145 Posts
This is very common guys. The guy above already gave you guys your answers. Mine does all these things as well. Its the ESM or SHIFTER MODULE!!!!

·
Registered
784 Posts
It has to do w/ the Electronic Shift Module (ESM) in the shift bezel. They are prone to go bad and cause all kinds of issues. Limp mode and the "service park assist" are most popular from what i hear. I just had mine replaced b/c it was throwing all kinds of codes and would go into limp mode and CEL "service park assist" would come up.
Have them change your ESM gents! Problems will almost 100% be solved!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
ESM and service park assist warning

My 06 just started doing this it started with the rough idling and stalling out and seemed to be fixed after doing the whole recalibration of the Throttle control module and lubing the butterfly with WD40 until today when it started doing the service park assist and going to limp mode briefly. Since you've had your ESM fixed has the problem occurred again? and how much did it cost you to have fixed? Just wondering cuz tryin to figure if this is still a Throttle body problem or an "ESM" issue

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think srt830 is correct. The gear shift module(aka ESM) is probably the culprit. My car is in for service right now and they are replacing the ESM as well as the transmission control module(the TCM is being replaced for what I hope is an unrelated problem see my TCM thread). I had told them that same message (SERVICE PARK ASSIST SYSTEM)would come up every now and then. Good luck

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wow, odd timing, I was just going to post on this.. My jeep has been acting really funny over the past few days, and has been tossing that service park assist code up. Here is a quick list of what I'm experiencing and see if anyone else has had the same issues. I've started seeing this since the temp has dropped with the onset of fall, and then more in the past few days.

1. After hitting the throttle somewhat hard when in 1st (50% and above) the jeep says "service park assist" and goes into some sort of limp mode for about 5-10 seconds then acts normally again.

2. EXTREMELY hard downshifts in autostick from 2-1.. like lock up all the tires hard.

3. When shifting from park to reverse the trans jerks like a mo-fo and spins the tires

4. and an intermittent check engine light for the TCM. (happened once, and cleared itself)

5. high / lumpy idle while in park

6. getting a box around P R N D at the dame time

7. This happened a while ago, but simalar issue.. was driving with the cruise control at about 80 minding my own business when the jeep dinged and I got the box around P R N D.. next thing I know it downshifts to 3rd and floors it all on its own up to about 110. I decide to intervene by hitting the brakes and the jeep simply settles down and acts normal again. Thank God no one was with me / in front of me.

All of these have happened once between Thursday and Sunday for me. Then, poof all is good starting last night.. wtf?

On a side note my fog lights stopped working at the same time. doubt it is the same thing just bizarre.
I just had Number 1 on your list driving home (it was not raining). But I was at the dealer and for some reason they decided to wash my engine bay without asking me or covering up any of the electrical components (awesome....) I was braking for a stop light and it turned green and I heard the chime and I looked down real quick and saw the "Service Park Assist System" then the Jeep kinda just died. I tried to accelerate and nothing happened. So I acted quickly because I was in traffic so I assumed it stalled so I put it in neutral and was going to try and start it but then it started driving fine again. I've only had her for about 1,000 miles and my trucks been nothing but problems, so frustrating. First transfer case, then torque converter, now this. And theres still some weird unknown vibration coming from directly under me during moderate to hard acceleration at about 35-50 mph. Ok my rant is over, I'm sorry I had too

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
It has to do w/ the Electronic Shift Module (ESM) in the shift bezel. They are prone to go bad and cause all kinds of issues. Limp mode and the "service park assist" are most popular from what i hear. I jsut had mine replaced b/c it was throwing all kinds of codes and would go into limp mode and CEL "service park assist" would come up.
^^^x2

Happened to me today for the first time and there are several links on here as to how to fix the problem.

I just posted about it this afternoon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have also had this happen to my 2006 step on the gas cuts throws me forward 5 second on the gas with out moving it bang snaps me back into my seat. :/?
Then somethimes the services rear parking comes on then runs fine????
What is the TCM?

Kind Regard,
Joshua

·
Just trying to go Fast
17,143 Posts
Soooo...... did you guys have the ESM changed and it's fixed?:D Having the same issues and I refuse to believe it's my TCM. This problem has been pretty common.

·
Registered
11,241 Posts
Same here Harrison

1 - 20 of 70 Posts