Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here to the forum hoping to find some help, I don't have alot of experience with vehicle maintenance but I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I have a 2014 GC SRT with about 77k miles. Service 4wd message started to come up a couple months back on engine start up, it was intermittent though rarely came on. Then it started to always come up and I got the codes pulled at the dealer and they said there was no current codes. I had been researching on what it could be I checked the battery cables they were tight and was gonna change the fluid in transfer case and differentials cause I read that could be possibly a problem so I went out to go to the store to pick the stuff up and when turning the wheel sharp there was a binding / grinding noise so I drove to the dealer and asked them to look at it when they could. They called the next day saying it was transfer case they replaced it under warranty and I've been driving it for a week no problems at all and now today the service 4wd message came up when I started the engine to leave work. I'm gonna by the service manual to figure out what all sensors their is and everything that I can check out but any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Simmon search the threads , i saw a few threads RECENTLY. About a sensor being the culprit !!! Maybe a wheel speed sens.. or somesh*t was like a $44 ? part or something bs. Im pretty sure it’s an easy fix Dealer’s are just plain ole Fu**king ignorant! Least ya got a new t case outta deal lmao!
Neil

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I was gonna put it on jack stands and see if I could check the connectors and wires in the parking lot but the HOA people bitched at me said I can't do maintenance in the parking lot. So I said fuck it went to the dealer I told them I was thinking a sensor or wire because it was intermittent they "checked it out" that day and called me saying differential they are replacing it under warranty so fuck it at least I'll have a bunch of new stuff before the warranty is out lmao. Thanks for the replies guys. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yea I was gonna put it on jack stands and see if I could check the connectors and wires in the parking lot but the HOA people bitched at me said I can't do maintenance in the parking lot. So I said fuck it went to the dealer I told them I was thinking a sensor or wire because it was intermittent they "checked it out" that day and called me saying differential they are replacing it under warranty so fuck it at least I'll have a bunch of new stuff before the warranty is out lmao. Thanks for the replies guys. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.
PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW IT WENT I HAVE A 2015 GC SRT SAME THING HAPPENED TO MINE ONLY I HAVE 35K MILES .MY TRACTION CONTROL LIGHT WOULD TURN ON AND THE SERVICE 4 WHEEL WILL POP UP,TURNING WOULD FEEL LIKE I HAD RUBBER BANDS AND IT WOULD KINDA LOCK UP ,TOOK IT TO DEALERSHIP AND THEY CHANGED MY TCASE ,NO MORE TRACTION CONTROL LIGHT BUT THE TURNING THING IS STILL THERE .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW IT WENT I HAVE A 2015 GC SRT SAME THING HAPPENED TO MINE ONLY I HAVE 35K MILES .MY TRACTION CONTROL LIGHT WOULD TURN ON AND THE SERVICE 4 WHEEL WILL POP UP,TURNING WOULD FEEL LIKE I HAD RUBBER BANDS AND IT WOULD KINDA LOCK UP ,TOOK IT TO DEALERSHIP AND THEY CHANGED MY TCASE ,NO MORE TRACTION CONTROL LIGHT BUT THE TURNING THING IS STILL THERE .
My binding under sharp turns went away after my tcase was replaced, but the service four wheel drive came back. The traction control light would come on also when I got the service four wheel drive message but I think it's a default thing for it to turn off when there's a problem with the 4wd system I'm waiting on the differential to get here and get installed I'll let you know what comes of it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sadly I've now got this as well - 60k miles and a t-case / diff fluids service booked in for next week that's a little overdue....

Co-incidently I flashed the TCM with a diablosport intune (on a newly fitted unlocked PCM - bedded in for 300 miles prior ) and the issue occured within 5 miles. Stopped for gas and it went away.

Drove to work another 80 miles and issue came back. Drove home and removed the diablosport flash ( it had flashed the TCM as I removed the limiter ) and used a genuine Witech to remove the codes, one of which was implausible speed reading t-case :-/

Diablosport flash may be a coincidence as I've tuned many cars over the years using their equipment - it doesn't break stuff of itself, it just precipitates the fault out that was already there IMO.

Have cleared the codes and tested it and they came back, there's an odd noise at low speed turning. Dealer said the t-case fluid change includes a belt - is this correct?

I've got pics / vids of the entire process including the initial diablosport flash ( and the dire warnings on the dash!) I'll post up when I can.

My dealer is helpful so I won't get any 'you need a t-case' off them if it is just a sensor / belt.

I'll post what it takes to rectify for others info.

regards

Richard

·
Registered
49 Posts
My dealer is helpful so I won't get any 'you need a t-case' off them if it is just a sensor / belt.

I'll post what it takes to rectify for others info.

regards

Richard
OK scanned again with my WiTech - C0031-62 Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor - signal compare failure.

Had my front bearings changed about 1k miles ago so worth checking it's seated correctly but for the $35 a sensor costs I'll likely throw a new one on anyways.

Richard

·
Registered
49 Posts
OK scanned again with my WiTech - C0031-62 Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor - signal compare failure.

Had my front bearings changed about 1k miles ago so worth checking it's seated correctly but for the $35 a sensor costs I'll likely throw a new one on anyways.

Richard
OK so the sensor was worn curved - possibly incorrectly refitted when the bearing was changed.... new sensor going on now.

Richard

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having a similar issue with intermittent Serv 4wd on my 2012 GC srt. Sometimes it comes on as soon as I start up...other times when I've driven it for 15-20 miles. Took it to the shop and they scanned it. I forget the exact codes, but it was pointing to the rear diff elsd motor. Bought a new one and me and my friend who owns a shop replaced the motor. It was fine for a couple days then the issue came back. Also changed the rear diff with RP 75w-90 gear oil.
Trying to read the codes again with a Autel ML629...which should read TCM codes but its not reading it even when the serv 4wd light is on. Sounds like I have a short maybe? or maybe my battery is failing?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Having a similar issue with intermittent Serv 4wd on my 2012 GC srt. Sometimes it comes on as soon as I start up...other times when I've driven it for 15-20 miles. Took it to the shop and they scanned it. I forget the exact codes, but it was pointing to the rear diff elsd motor. Bought a new one and me and my friend who owns a shop replaced the motor. It was fine for a couple days then the issue came back. Also changed the rear diff with RP 75w-90 gear oil.
Trying to read the codes again with a Autel ML629...which should read TCM codes but its not reading it even when the serv 4wd light is on. Sounds like I have a short maybe? or maybe my battery is failing?
I have a 12 srt as well and get service 4wd with trac off 5-10 seconds after startup. Backstory I had this happen a year ago, pulled code and said transfer case clutch. Replaced transfer case with rebuilt unit, same code!! This happened in the winter time, and I left it alone and it went away within ~3 months, cool. It was fine all year then I drove it in the snow for 2 days consecutive and the exact same code came up again! Now it’s been 2 weeks and hasn’t gone away. Same transfer case clutch code

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
This sounds like a common shared fault I'm now dreading I'm gonna experience. Our winters are timid in comparison to the temps you guys have though so if its co-efficient related I should be safe.

I've only had a jeep for a week or two so I'm still learning about the car in general, but I have a little knowledge/experience with 4wd vehicles as I've owned eleven or so different types now.

I guess the warning lights is related to abs sensors from what I've read. Your wheels will spin up independantly on snow so if the sensors are worn or aren't seated correctly or they somehow have moisture in their contacts now (from the snow of course) your readings to the ecu will be off. Your trasfer clutch may use the abs sensor positions to activate?
Failing that could it be a sticking solenoid on the clutch itself? Temperature can definately affect a solenoids' operation. If the Jeep `srt doesn't have a solenoid then I'd hazard a guess to say that the fluid transfer will be via vacuum pump, if so it will have vacuum hoses so could one have collapsed, or if there is a filter in the system (pump inlet) could it be blocked/restricted?

Purely stabbing in the dark, just trying to help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
New here to the forum hoping to find some help, I don't have alot of experience with vehicle maintenance but I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I have a 2014 GC SRT with about 77k miles. Service 4wd message started to come up a couple months back on engine start up, it was intermittent though rarely came on. Then it started to always come up and I got the codes pulled at the dealer and they said there was no current codes. I had been researching on what it could be I checked the battery cables they were tight and was gonna change the fluid in transfer case and differentials cause I read that could be possibly a problem so I went out to go to the store to pick the stuff up and when turning the wheel sharp there was a binding / grinding noise so I drove to the dealer and asked them to look at it when they could. They called the next day saying it was transfer case they replaced it under warranty and I've been driving it for a week no problems at all and now today the service 4wd message came up when I started the engine to leave work. I'm gonna by the service manual to figure out what all sensors their is and everything that I can check out but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Your manual has recommended services. I just got all my 60k mile stuff done including transfer case, front and real diffs and powersteering etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
@Simmonsj I have the low speed turn lag/whine/Jeep will come to a complete stop if the wheels fully clocked and going into reverse. Also if full clocked either direction in drive, the car will not crawl forward like it supposed to, it will also come to a stop unless I give it gas. Did swapping out the Tcase solve you issue regarding the low speed noises? I have a 12 SRT, and have codes C1438 0 TC diff clutch worn and C1476 TC clutch position out of range.

On a related but maybe totally unrelated note, the SRT also does a weird jerk forward when starting the car after its warm. When I first start the car cold and in park no issue or jerk forward, if I drive to the store park it and come back and turn it on, maybe within 3 seconds of starting the car the car moves 2-3 inches and makes a rather loud clunk like the trans is trying to move gears without any shifter movement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Simmonsj I have the low speed turn lag/whine/Jeep will come to a complete stop if the wheels fully clocked and going into reverse. Also if full clocked either direction in drive, the car will not crawl forward like it supposed to, it will also come to a stop unless I give it gas. Did swapping out the Tcase solve you issue regarding the low speed noises? I have a 12 SRT, and have codes C1438 0 TC diff clutch worn and C1476 TC clutch position out of range.

On a related but maybe totally unrelated note, the SRT also does a weird jerk forward when starting the car after its warm. When I first start the car cold and in park no issue or jerk forward, if I drive to the store park it and come back and turn it on, maybe within 3 seconds of starting the car the car moves 2-3 inches and makes a rather loud clunk like the trans is trying to move gears without any shifter movement.
They replaced my tcase and rear differential under warranty and no problems since.

·
Registered
13 Posts
replaced the transfer case control module, and the motor; no dice. Weird, but I am getting the low end turning into parking spots whine/binding. If I clear the codes while parked or driving, the service 4wd message goes away and so does the low end turning into parking spots whine. When I start the jeep, within 5-10 seconds I am getting the service 4wd message as I can hear the motor trying to move (or is) and it has a clicking type of sound. Again, can clear the code(s) (typically C1476 clutch position out of range, or C1438 clutch worn) and all is "back to normal".

So the initial startup test is flagging the service 4wd message. Can any elaborate what the car is doing for the initial startup test?

With the car "on" but engine not running; If my friend puts the car in R, N. D, and I am underneath holding the TC motor in my hand, I can feel and hear the motor making a clicking and winding up toy sound between each gear. The motor (new) is either traveling all of the way or binding up and sounds like crap. I have wheel speed sensors for all 4 corners and will probably throw them in, but I am thinking the fork/clutch pack's are shot on the TC and will need a rebuild...

open to any other suggestions or thoughts..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts