Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Guys,

The service 4wd system warning has just come up on my car, along with the traction control light. The car was driving perfectly fine, I parked the car and turned it off when I returned a few hours later and started the car the service 4wd system warning came up. It seems that the rear electronic controlled limited-slip differential is now locked all the time(the car requires a lot of throttle to turn tight and you can hear the wheel skidding )

I plugged in the scan tool and it seems pretty much every control module aside from the transmission cannot communicate with the ECM, I checked the diff control motor with the scanner too and everything seems ok. As a result, FCC is now deactivated along with traction control and Cruze control it also seems like it is not transferring as much power to the front as it normally would.

I suppose I should also mention that it’s fitted with a 2.9l Whipple supercharger kit.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
477 Posts
This happened to me during the second week of ownership during the rain. I actually made it go away after checking the battery cables for being loose after reading about it. These new electronics are really sensitive to voltage so if you're battery is starting to go bad, or if the cable attachments or loose, believe it or not it can cause some very odd things to happen. I'd start there.

If that doesn't work, I know some people have had some issues with the crank case / diff that has cause some codes and needed warranty replacement, but its not very common.

I also had a bad parking sensor that caused codes with the adaptive cruise control system. That's the price we pay for technology. When it works its great, when it doesn't the more bells and whistles you have, the more crap that can go wrong..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just took mine into the shop after a few days of this message popping up and only having rwd. All started when attempting a launch, but never heard a noise that would indicate catastrophic damage. Hoping for the best, but with 634hp to the wheels I'm not expecting the best.
Wish me luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Update: shop says transfer case motor. Part ordered and will hopefully be installed and programmed in the next day or so. Hoping this resolves the issue. Will report back with final results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Mine is now doing this non sense! After I just had the rear rebuilt a few months ago.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Dang Killa, your transfer case motor needs replacing too?

·
Registered
3,648 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
I hope Not either Bro! Check, Scan and Diagnose the symptoms and the codes carefully Bro, and if you need one, message me and I'll get you sorted!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I think your lucky to catch this problem before you did any serious damage, I was not so lucky the following is a chain of events that I think happens

While I was giving the car a thrashing somthing died which caused the 4WD system to shut down with out me noticing, as soon as this happens the transfer case opens and the car becomes rear wheel drive only, at the same time the electronic controlled diff shuts down and it becomes a normal Open diff centre, at this stage if you on the gas and have 600+ RWHP the car lights up one rear wheel only and before you even get a chance to notice the spider gears in the diff have spun that fast that they get hot and when you stop they weld to the shaft they spin on causing the diff to lock. So now the car had a locked diff and was rear wheel drive only, this was great fun but that only lasted a week before I smashed the teeth of the spider gears completely. Being the second diff I had blown I wasn’t too keen to spend the money and put another factory one in just to blow it again and I’m also not to keen to spend approx $13,000AUD on the 9” conversion from paramount performance so I welded the spider gears up an put it back in the car. It drives like a quad bike on bitumen at low speeds doing tight turns but it’s fun drifting and laying strips, that was until I snapped the splined shaft of the rear oute CV joint. So currently the car is parked up while I work out what to do with the diff and rear axles.
Does any one know of any upgrade rear ends without going to the extent of the 9” conversion? I’m trying to get wave track or some one to make a replacement center and then I’ll probably just go for Uprraded rear axles from the drive shaft shop.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I hope Not either Bro! Check, Scan and Diagnose the symptoms and the codes carefully Bro, and if you need one, message me and I'll get you sorted!

I’m taking it to the dealer to diagnose Thursday, hopefully it’s a sensor or something since it seems to come and go.

Reactions: SPEEDDEMON

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,

The service 4wd system warning has just come up on my car , along with the traction control light. The car was driving perfectly fine, I parked the car and turned it off when I returned a few hours later and started the car the service 4wd system warning came up. It seem that the rear electronic controlled limited slip differential is now locked all the time(the car requires allot of throttle to turn tight and you can hear the wheel skidding ) I plugged in the scan tool and it seem pretty much every control module aside from the transmission cannot communicate with the ECM, I checked the diff control motor with the scanner too and everything seems ok. As a result FCC is now deactivated along with traction control and Cruze control it also seems like it is not transferring as much power to the front as it normally would. I suppose I should also mention that it’s fitted with a 2.9l whipple supercharger kit.
Any ideas?
Hi mate, did you ever find out what was causing the dramas? Im having the exact same shit happening to mine now

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
My issue was both front and rear driveshafts need some love.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone had battery issues causing this? My Serv 4x4 light is on and it's turned my ESP off.
Hoping for an easy fix ?
Having the same issue on my 2012 JGC SRT8. Ran about 35 miles in sport mode on Sunday. Monday morning I turned while backing out of the driveway. Went to straighten up in drive and I felt some tightness trying to turn back to the right. Didn't have an issue once straightened out and went on down the road. About 10 minutes later the ESP off light came on and my Service 4WD light came on. Took to dealership yesterday morning for oil change and some other minor stuff and asked them to check out the lights as well. They said that they ran the diagnostics and checked the codes and its a code that none of their techs were familiar with. I got the "we need to run it up the chain of engineers answer" and they said it would be Monday before they would hear anything back. Just wanted to stop here to see if anyone else ran into this issue and is aware of a fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the same issue on my 2012 JGC SRT8. Ran about 35 miles in sport mode on Sunday. Monday morning I turned while backing out of the driveway. Went to straighten up in drive and I felt some tightness trying to turn back to the right. Didn't have an issue once straightened out and went on down the road. About 10 minutes later the ESP off light came on and my Service 4WD light came on. Took to dealership yesterday morning for oil change and some other minor stuff and asked them to check out the lights as well. They said that they ran the diagnostics and checked the codes and its a code that none of their techs were familiar with. I got the "we need to run it up the chain of engineers answer" and they said it would be Monday before they would hear anything back. Just wanted to stop here to see if anyone else ran into this issue and is aware of a fix.
Got the exact same on my SRT now. Did it get resolved??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts