Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year everyone!!

I have a bit of a issue I need some help with. First let me start by saying that I am in the US Navy currently stationed in Okinawa, Japan. I have been here for almost a year and will be leaving here in March. When I leave here I will be getting stationed in Sigonella, Sicily for 2 years. That is actually part of my issue.

I have a 2010 JGC SRT8 that has been sitting in my mom's garage for the entire time I have been in Okinawa. No one is driving it now or has been since I came to Japan. It gets started every two weeks (remote start) and let it run it until it shuts itself off. I absolutley love this Jeep (my 2nd one) and I really don't want to get rid of it. When I leave Japan I will be home for maybe 30 days and then it's back overseas again. This time for 2 years as I stated earlier.

I have the choice to ship the Jeep overseas with me, but I'm not sure if I want to do that. I hear the streets are really small where I will be going and that the traffic is bad and the drivers are horrible, lol. I would really hate for something to happen to the Jeep and I can't get it fixed there because they aren't sold over there. I would be crushed and problably end up in jail, lol (just j/k about the jail part).

So after all of that my real question is what do you think I should do? Should I sell it, leave it in my moms garage for another two years or take it with me and risk something happening to it that i can't get fixed right away. I love this body style and everything about my jeep that is why I want to keep it. Not to fond of the new body style yet. Maybe if they get the center tailpipes back it will grow on me quicker (hint, hint Jeep). Just wondering what you would do if you were in my shoes. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice. A pic of my jeep is included even though it's a little snow covered. :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
921 Posts
It might be lots of fun taking that to Italy and having the only one there. :)

Reactions: cirdahc

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Dude, ya gotta DRIVE it! I can see not bothering to move it to a tiny island, like where you are now. But, some of the best driving roads ANYWHERE are in Europe!

There are SRT8s over there, I've seen both last-gen Chryslers and Jeeps. They're relatively larger, by European standards, than a typical car, but, remember, 7-series Bimmers, S-Class Benzes, Porsce Cayennes, all come from Europe - you just have to work harder at finding a parking space.

And, my experience tells me, they are much more respectful of each other's property, so you can park close to someone else (inside the lines, of course), and be confident you won't come back to a malicious door ding.

Off-base, the fuel costs are gonna eat you up, though, 'specially since the SRT8 drinks only the good stuff - 91 octane+.

I assume Uncle Sam pays the shipping, both ways. If it were me, I'd be all over having my baby with me, regardless of high fuel prices and tight parking.

As to the '12 model, we traded our '07 on one. Different beast entirely, and I'd be less likely to take it to dance with the Ferraris and Alfas on the autostradas. Im not exactly pining to get the WK1 back, but there are some things I do miss.

BTW - regardless of what you're driving, the Euros are death on speeding, and use photo radar everywhere. I got dinged €200 for going 56 km/h (34 mph) in a 50 km/h zone, in Zurich, and I was being careful! Got the citation a couple months later, the rental companies are compelled to rat on you to the authorities.

Have fun - if you take the car, you won't regret it. If you don't, though, you'd be wise to sell it, now, then buy back in when you come home. Much as we love 'em, they depreciate, like any other car, and you will be able to pick one up for substantially less than the '10 will bring, today, and use the difference to mod-up the new one.

·
http://www.cagannyc.com
1,752 Posts
If you do not need the $, I say keep it! It will be a good reward when you get back! Time passes by quick!

Jeep will stay low miles, no risks taken and even if you want to sell when ur back for any reason it will be in great condition to do so... Now is not a great time to sell as far as economy goes... also europe is going down first or second quarter of this year... esp euro might crash soon... then it will hit here, but dollar might gain value by the time ur back...
IMO I would not take it to eu... gas prices will damage ur pocket! and there r more activists there than in US

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
I say keep it in the garage and when you get back in a few years it will make a pretty damn good welcoming home gift.

·
Premium Member
16,354 Posts
What would happen to it if left in your mothers garage? I'd say keep it there if possible. As Jason said, that be a nice welcome home gift for you and your miles would be LOW!! haha

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It might be lots of fun taking that to Italy and having the only one there. :)
I thought about that, lol. Then I thought about how much it would stand out and be a target for some people. Not that anyone would do anything bad, but I don't know if I want to chance it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I do know the government will cover all shipping cost and when I get there they will give me fuel coupons to help cover some of the cost of fuel. But this thing drinks like it's going out style and my heavy foot is not helping with any kind of fuel saving :). I didn't think this would be such a hard decision to make. It was easier for me to decide to join the Navy, lol.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Drive it or sell it. There is always going to be another (newer) vehicle that will catch your attention.

Time value of money. Your Jeep is worth ~$35-$40k now. Sell it and put the money to work. You will loose at least $7k to let it sit for another 2 years, plus insurance etc.

In 2 years when the "updated" WK2 SRT8 is released I am confident the looks will have grown on you and the short falls will be addressed (Compare a 2006 SRT8 to a 2008-2009). The WK SRT8 will always look good, but will be outdated.

I have had my WS6 for ~12 yrs and it has 15,000 miles on it. When I bought it, it was one of the fastest production cars around (0-60mph 5.5 seconds 1/4 mile 13.5 seconds). Now it is outdated and slow compared to what is on the road. The only reason why I keep it is because I think it is one of the best looking cars of all time.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I do know the government will cover all shipping cost and when I get there they will give me fuel coupons to help cover some of the cost of fuel. But this thing drinks like it's going out style and my heavy foot is not helping with any kind of fuel saving :). I didn't think this would be such a hard decision to make. It was easier for me to decide to join the Navy, lol.
Take it over and enjoy it it . Then before you leave sell it for a crap load . They must go for a pretty penny over there . leaving it sit for 2more years will not be good even if you start it by the time you get back it will need Brakes,all new fluids,and a few gaskets these things are made to be driven and what better place then Italy . JMTC . Either way enjoy it you are doing a great job for the country and need to blow off some steam might as well be in a Jeep .

·
http://www.cagannyc.com
1,752 Posts
Drive it or sell it. There is always going to be another (newer) vehicle that will catch your attention.

Time value of money. Your Jeep is worth ~$35-$40k now. Sell it and put the money to work. You will loose at least $7k to let it sit for another 2 years, plus insurance etc.

In 2 years when the "updated" WK2 SRT8 is released I am confident the looks will have grown on you and the short falls will be addressed (Compare a 2006 SRT8 to a 2008-2009). The WK SRT8 will always look good, but will be outdated.

I have had my WS6 for ~12 yrs and it has 15,000 miles on it. When I bought it, it was one of the fastest production cars around (0-60mph 5.5 seconds 1/4 mile 13.5 seconds). Now it is outdated and slow compared to what is on the road. The only reason why I keep it is because I think it is one of the best looking cars of all time.
you can freeze your insurance if no one is driving the car... call ur insurance company and tell them whats up... if it is in a garrage and if your mom has home insurance... no worries then.

Value of a collectible item will not move up or down much, vs by the time u get back 2010's in market will have decent milage...

all ur call...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
611 Posts
If you do sell what would the asking price be?
Cant help but think if I had a SRT in my garage that was just "sitting" there :rofl:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sell it. You can always get another one when you get back. Let the money work for you in the meantime.

·
Registered
965 Posts
keep it. let it sit in the garage in mint condition in two years you will have a 2010 with the lowest miles and best shape and be valued higher for that reason. Freeze your insurance like cagan mentioned above. I would have someone drive it once every month tho to get the fluids moving around and keep everything in working shape. You will enjoy the hell out of it when you get back. You bring that to eurpoe they will slash your tires they hate gas guzzlers there heard many horror stories about people importing suv's there. if it isn't feasible to keep it for $ reasons part ways and give it a good home.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts