Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the good ole days (if memory serves correctly), Select-Trac on the 80's Cherokee meant you could choose from 2x4, 4x4 high and low AND fulltime 4x4.

Just trying to understand what this version is. Dealer has been no help whatsoever. "IF" I understand correctly, this version of Select-Trac means anything but. In other words, no funspot (2x4). Kills me to know that after plunking $65k on a sport-type truck, I can't burn off unnecessary rubber from the rears at will.

Can anyone clear this up for this newb? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ever wish you had never asked a question, just so's to keep up the hope that things will be as you wanted? :(

Thanks for ruining the dream ;)

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
Ever wish you had never asked a question, just so's to keep up the hope that things will be as you wanted? :(

Thanks for ruining the dream ;)

Keep in mind this may be just for now.......One of the demo Jeeps from SRT had a "special" electronic mod to do burnouts. When tuning is unlocked, I suspect this will be an option too.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
NO fricken way!! That option will NEVER happen. Do you have any idea how dangerous it would be to drive the Jeep like that? Have you ever tried it in our WK1? It's a death trap. It wants to kick the rear end out every time you touch the gas. From my understanding of that day was it took a hole lot of Very expensive equipment to do that. A simple tune I don't think will cut it.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hopefully there'll be a Diablo tuner out soon for these trucks.

Is Diablo still the hot ticket, or am I looking like an older fart than ever? When I had my Charger, I was running a Diablo along with a CAI built by "Hammer". These items still cool?

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
NO fricken way!! That option will NEVER happen. Do you have any idea how dangerous it would be to drive the Jeep like that? Have you ever tried it in our WK1? It's a death trap. It wants to kick the rear end out every time you touch the gas. From my understanding of that day was it took a hole lot of Very expensive equipment to do that. A simple tune I don't think will cut it.

How bad can it be? If I was able to keep 502hp at bay with my shorty wheelbase Safari, I'm damn sure I can keep a measly 465 in check. Really, lemme prove it. Please? ;)

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Diablo still the tuner and hammer quit making intakes

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guess I'll hold out hope that Diablo will find a way to lock it in 2wd. Hope is everything...

·
Registered
555 Posts
bad idea, agreed.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're kidding, right?

Bill Jenkins raced a small-block powered Vega. Ford had the AC Cobra, GM also had the Chev Monza with a sbc, Nova with a bbc etc. Dodge had the Dart with a 426....shall I continue?

I had a big-block with 500hp stuffed into my GMC Safari. One time, I almost lost it completely. And I would have deserved to run off the road that time. I had floored it to pass someone in slick weather @ 60 mph...in 2wd. Can you say stoopid?

Where am I going with this? Simple. We have become a bunch of babies, myself included. We depend on dummy-proof electronics to save our asses, therefore reducing/eliminating our drving skills. My last two vehicles were the SRT-8 Charger & my FJ Cruiser. Both have built-in traction control. You practically can't lose control on the road. So what ends up happening? You start to lose prowess and tecnique. Why wouldn't you? The damn vehicle corrects for any screw-ups you make when driving. No more necessity to be on your game.

I can personally confess to having gotten rusty in my driving skills because of traction control. I've since installed a Traction-Control bypass switch on my FJ and it's almost always on. I'm slowly getting my skills back & can now correct quicker when the arse-end of the shorty wheelbase of the FJ starts to go. I don't always rely on Big Brother's electronics to look out for me. But on those days where I really, really don't feel like being exceptionally attentive, I'll shut the bypass switch off and allow the truck to look out for my sagging, aging ass the way Toyota intended.

BUT, the choice is mine. Not the manufacturers. Jez sayin'....

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
If you look at the menu in the EVIC it shows what mode your in. Hit the arrow to advance and it'll show you a description.

As for burning rubber put it in track mode and push and hold the traction control button until the EVIC shows traction system disabled, do this with the jeep in drive and not moving. That's how I did it. Then punch the gas and see what happens. It's still AWD, but no computer nannies. I haven't tried yet, still breaking my engine in. So I'm not sure what'll it do.

In my WK1 in awd I could spin the tires pretty well and loose the rear end. Spun it out a couple times. Just had to do the right moves to make it happen.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I can burn rubber off the line or throw out the rear on a gravel road, I'll be pleased as punch. I guess we'll find out once baby's home.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
If I can burn rubber off the line or throw out the rear on a gravel road, I'll be pleased as punch. I guess we'll find out once baby's home.
Just in track mode and 4 adults n the Jeep, I chirped them from a dead stop. I think under the right conditions with no traction control, some slippage is possible. An AWD burnout? Doubtful.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
sounds like fun to me if you know how to drive... exactly what i want, i hate how this thing won't get sideways, esp after lowering and bwood sway bar links now... ugh

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've heard of four-wheel burnouts, but that's neither what I want or need. Nope, just some good ole boy rear-end smoking & sliding. Dying to find out for myself what that magical "track" mode will do for me.

And yeah, Meeper. Hell yeah...

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
I've heard of four-wheel burnouts, but that's neither what I want or need. Nope, just some good ole boy rear-end smoking & sliding. Dying to find out for myself what that magical "track" mode will do for me.

And yeah, Meeper. Hell yeah...
track mode is the most aggressive timing and short programming as well as dummy-ing up the ESP. As been said, just press and hold the ESP button to completely disable.

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Auto: provides the most compliant ride and automatically adapts to any road situation using the adaptive suspension tuning
Sport: provides enhanced body control for a sporty, fun-to-drive ride for the street
Tow: provides a safe reduction in pitch and bounce for enhanced towing capability
Track: provides the high-performance, firm, “track-tuned” suspension option to lock down body motion for the ultimate handling experience
Snow: provides the most conservative dynamic mode, so the vehicle will safely stay in-line in inclement winter weather conditions

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
i know the normal non SRT GCs with the suspension knob have 4" of travel and it lowers the jeep for sport mode and even lower with the park button on, i test drove one and it was awesome,

my question is does the SRT8 suspension have this capability?

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
i know the normal non SRT GCs with the suspension knob have 4" of travel and it lowers the jeep for sport mode and even lower with the park button on, i test drove one and it was awesome,

my question is does the SRT8 suspension have this capability?
No change in ride height with the SRT.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

1 - 20 of 23 Posts