Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have a question to the Chicago Clan. Has anyone sea foamed there SRT8. I seen a video online about some guy sea foaming his SRT8. Where do I pour the Sea foam in? Can you please assist on this. Thank you guys.

BlkPhantom.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Hey I have a question to the Chicago Clan. Has anyone sea foamed there SRT8. I seen a video online about some guy sea foaming his SRT8. Where do I pour the Sea foam in? Can you please assist on this. Thank you guys.

BlkPhantom.
Find a vacuum line under the hood and suck it in through there. Make sure you don't stall it out. Have someone press on the gas while you do it to keep it reving and then just shut it of when it is all sucked up. Use about half a bottle and pour it into a plastic cup. It makes it easier.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Find a vacuum line under the hood and suck it in through there. Make sure you don't stall it out. Have someone press on the gas while you do it to keep it reving and then just shut it of when it is all sucked up. Use about half a bottle and pour it into a plastic cup. It makes it easier.
Can you tell me what this does to your motor? I have heard of doing this but never really asked what it did. I know it cleans but what does it clean. By the way thank you for the help Dupresrt.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Can you tell me what this does to your motor? I have heard of doing this but never really asked what it did. I know it cleans but what does it clean. By the way thank you for the help Dupresrt.
Not a prob. man. It supposedly cleans all the carbon build up on the valves and such. What you wanna do is suck it in and as soon as its all in shut it off right away so that it'll sit in your heads and I believe your cylinders and it'll eat away at that carbon. Let it sit for 20 min. or so and then start it back up. It should smoke allot and your neighbors might call the Fire Department, but it'll be OK. Oh and put the other half of the bottle in your gas tank to clean out the injectors

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not a prob. man. It supposedly cleans all the carbon build up on the valves and such. What you wanna do is suck it in and as soon as its all in shut it off right away so that it'll sit in your heads and I believe your cylinders and it'll eat away at that carbon. Let it sit for 20 min. or so and then start it back up. It should smoke allot and your neighbors might call the Fire Department, but it'll be OK. Oh and put the other half of the bottle in your gas tank to clean out the injectors

Thank you Dupresrt. I will do this on the weekend and see what happens. My next door neighbor is the chief of Police so this should be fun..hahaha. I know it makes smoke like crazy. Now once its cleaned what performance gains will I see by doing this. My srt8 has 70k miles all Hwy so is this a good time to do this?

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
I misted mine into the throttle body. Took the cold air intake off and sprayed it as it was at idle. Did like half a can, then right at the end sprayed until the engine stalled out. Let set for a while and then drive it like you stole it. Lots of smoke. Ran a bottle in the gas tank as well.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Thank you Dupresrt. I will do this on the weekend and see what happens. My next door neighbor is the chief of Police so this should be fun..hahaha. I know it makes smoke like crazy. Now once its cleaned what performance gains will I see by doing this. My srt8 has 70k miles all Hwy so is this a good time to do this?
It'll idle better and you'll feel better throttle response

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I misted mine into the throttle body. Took the cold air intake off and sprayed it as it was at idle. Did like half a can, then right at the end sprayed until the engine stalled out. Let set for a while and then drive it like you stole it. Lots of smoke. Ran a bottle in the gas tank as well.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Thanks Mongoose9400 for the feed back. I will try it both ways and see what happens.

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
can u make a video of you doing this or the after math...always wanted to do it but was afriad...

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
+1 for video!!

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
can u make a video of you doing this or the after math...always wanted to do it but was afriad...
I sprayed the throttle body around 40k miles, ran it in the gas take as well.

Gas take again at 70k miles

No issues. Just follow the directions and you should be fine. I think I may of seen some stuff on hydro locking if using the vacuum line and suck it in too fast (or wrong line)? Just use common sense and understand what your doing and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
There is some decent info on their website:

Using Sea Foam® through a vacuum line is easy and safe if you remember one thing. Liquids don’t compress and can cause an engine to hydro lock if too much liquid is applied. Always regulate the rate at which Sea Foam® goes into the engine. Never insert the vacuum line into the bottle of Sea Foam®, always pour Sea Foam® slowly into the vacuum line.
It is important to make sure the engine is at operating temperature. Then find a vacuum line that feeds all cylinders, usually the PCV hose or the vacuum brake booster line may feed all cylinders. If you are in doubt as to which vacuum line to use, YOU MUST check with a certified auto technician. If a technician is not available or if your engine doesn't have any vacuum lines, then use the Sea Foam® Spray method described in another section of this web site.
After the correct vacuum line has been located, start engine and disconnect vacuum line. With engine running at idle and at operating temperature slowly pour Sea Foam® into vacuum line. It is important to control the rate at which Sea Foam® goes into the vacuum line. The engine will labor while applying Sea Foam®. Pour enough Sea Foam® into the vacuum line to make the engine labor at idle, but not enough to stall engine.
After 1/3 to ½ can of Sea Foam® has been induced into the engine, shut engine off and let sit (hot soak) for about 5- 10 minutes and reconnect vacuum line. After the 5-10 minute hot soak period, restart engine in a well ventilated area as exhaust may be extreme for a short time. Road test the vehicle immediately after start up, driving aggressively until exhaust looks normal. This usually takes up to 5 miles. It is always better and safer to road test car to clean the gum, varnish and carbon out of the engine.
By doing this you have done an intense carbon cleaning procedure to your engine. This operation is recommended once a year or every 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Seafoam comes in two different bottles, the traditional can and aerosol can. The aerosol can is easier to use, just spray directly into the intake manifold let it sit and then go for a ride.

·
Registered
792 Posts
MOPAR makes a Combustion Chamber Cleaner, I've used it with good results. The part number is 04318001AC.

Using a catch can will help keep the throttle body and intake manifold cleaner.

Guy
I was looking at that mopar stuff last night. I have a catch can now. I was just think of maybe doing this since the truck has about 43,5k on it. Just to keep everything running smoothly....

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.