Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard from a dealer salesman that Saleen was in talks with Dodge/Jeep to rig the SRT Series of Hemi powered vehicals... think what they could come up with on the GC!

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Saleen or SMS? I ask because Saleen will no longer be doing turnkey cars, according to this article. They plan to focus on aftermarket parts instead. SMS already does a Challenger.

http://jalopnik.com/#!5779840/saleen-to-end-mustang-production
The era of tuner Mustangs that began when racer Steve Saleen set up shop in the 1980s ended today, when the owner of Saleen Performance Vehicles announced it will end production of vehicles to focus on aftermarket parts. Carpocalypse: Tuner.

Producer of Saleen vehicles and parent company of the Saleen Speedlab parts division, Revstone, said today the company's final car will be the 2011 Saleen S302. Production will wrap by the third quarter of this year.

Steve Saleen resigned from the company that bears his name in 2007, to start SMS Supercars, a manufacturer of tuned Mustangs, Dodge Challengers and other vehicles. Under the guidance of Saleen (suh-LEEN, not SAY-leen), the company became the second most recognizable Mustang tuner, next to those once tagged by Carrol Shelby, with whom Saleen was inducted into the Mustang Hall of Fame in 1996. One such car was the 1989 Saleen SSC, which started as a V8-powered Mustang LX hatchback, and ended as a cut-rate Porsche 930 fighter.

·
Premium Member
16,362 Posts
Saleen has stopped production or will be in the after the next few months.

Asthey said, SMS is working with the challenger.

·
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
8,565 Posts
When I saw the title to this thread "Saleen SRT" the first thought that came to mind was Johnny's Jeep violated his Saleen & they had some sort of evil offspring. LOL

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
^^^^^ hahahaha. quote of the day for sure.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
He probably ment the SMS cars, which is Steve Saleen's new company. Last I heard Steve was up to his old tricks and in financial trouble again... I talked to someone who actually drove one at Saleens place in California and his impression was "Death Trap".

J

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
When did your friend test drive a car?

·
Premium Member
4,076 Posts
was thinking this might have been in reference to the original XP8 Saleen Exploder. just looked it up and saw some interesting facts about it that i hadn't know (only 119 made from 98'-01', the last and only one in 01' was built on a eddie bauer frame)

·
Registered
5,488 Posts

·
Just trying to go Fast
17,143 Posts
Steve left Saleen in 2007, so he had nothing to do with the quality issues of a 2009/2010 car. ;)
Joel wasn't talking about a Saleen car..... he was talking about a SMS Chally. SMS is Steve Saleen's new company he started when he sold Saleen Inc.;)

·
Registered
5,488 Posts

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Yeah, I was refering to SMS, which is Steve Saleens new business. Saleen Performance Vehicles (the old Saleen) is out of Troy Michigan and was sold to investors in 2007 when Steve Saleen went into business with Chamco trying to bring Chinese cars to the US. Steve Still owes alot of people money from his days with Saleen Performance Vehicles...

J

1 - 20 of 21 Posts