Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Back in November 2021, I’ve had my water pump and stat replaced. A couple weeks later I had a coolant line come apart causing it to overheat and had a shop repair the line. Refilled it with coolant and burped. Almost two months later I’m still having an issue where once the vehicle gets around 224° degrees on the highway going speed limit, it will continue to climb, highest I’ve seen it get just going highway speed is almost 245°!! I’ve purged air multiple times, and have gotten tons of air out. I am curious it may be the thermostat as the temp gauge will jump all around where as before the water pump replacement, it would stay below half and never move! Please help me figure out why my 07 srt is running so hot! Never had this cooling issue before and could push her hard all day and not move the temp gauge once!

·
Registered
2014 SRT
103 Posts
sounds like you have something gone bad in the connection between the engine and the ECM. I had the same issue, where the oil coolant hose broke right at the motor side inlet (easy fix, just vut it back and inch and reatach). But driving it back slowly, I would have to stop constantly when the temp was too high for safety (lost alot of coolant). Replaced lost coolant and temp would gradually rise and not stop until I got the warning again and it went into limp mode, even though it wasn't actually overheating. Tired the easiest thing first and replaced the tstat...nope. Did some research and replaced the coolant temp sensor...nope. But in doing so, I found the pigtail connector was broken and would vibrate itself right out of contact. So took it to the shop and was told it was also a bad camshaft sensor along with the bad wiring connection. Easy...very easy fixes...but since I had in it, I had them do it. I found all the parts I would need at Browse OEM Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, RAM Parts | Thomas Dodge Parts if I had decided to do it myself. Just search for your model and engine size then look under Sensors and you will see what you need

·
Registered
192 Posts
Aftermarket thermostats constantly fail. Also, if the system was not purged correctly when the new thermostat was replaced than that can also cause stat to fail. Open radiator cap ‘When Cold’ then start the engine and after warmed up, check and see if the coolant is flowing. If not, then the thermostat is stuck closed

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
"coolant line come apart causing it to overheat "
To what extent did it overheat? You probably need to have a check done for combustion products in the antifreeze. Hopefully you didn't overheat to the extent you have a bad headgasket or such but it is possible.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Next time it’s starts going little hot pull over and check to see if Fan is running. If not carefully give it a push and see if it’s starts. That problem happens to me every year or two. I car wash my rig daily and
The fan motor and fan therm get trashed quickly.

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
Is it a stock thermostat (the 203 Degree) or a aftermarket 180 degree?
I found even the best NAPA modded tstat would fail about every year.

·
BlaBlaBla
5,367 Posts
Is it a stock thermostat (the 203 Degree) or a aftermarket 180 degree?
I found even the best NAPA modded tstat would fail about every year.
I’ve been preaching this forever around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts