Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must not be very observant, but over a year after buying this thing I spotted something new today. :eek: The two rubber strips on the outside of the rail covers, and at the back of the roof. What are those for?

wink

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
PIC????! Post a pic

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Hahahahhaah my Jeep is black and I didnt even know too. I think it's there and serves as the non slip surface for the optional ROOF SEATING for the 3rd row outside seat! LOL

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
its a seam seal for the roof cap./
Yep what he said^^^^

They use it to cover up the seal between the sides of the jeep and roof were they meet.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
These strips to do not cover any type of seams, caps, etc. I have gone through a nightmare of removing them myself when I had to put roof rack rails on my Jeep so I can go skiing (yes, I do take my Jeep skiing). These are just plastic strips attached with a double sided tape. The front and rear of those strips cover rack rail mounting holes. Take a look at this PDF file: http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en-US/imagehandler.ashx?id=2254 and everything should be clear. After you take the strips off, you will have to deal with a fukload of double-sided tape on your roof, which you have to remove using a 3M strip-off (or stripe-off) wheel.

Finally, it seems like screw holes covered by those plastic strips go right into the roof cavity (i.e. there is an opening) so if your plastic strips are coming off, its probably a good idea to get the moro....I mean the dealer to strip them off and re-apply them. Or, if you would like to still have normal paint on your roof, you may do it yourself.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
These strips to do not cover any type of seams, caps, etc. I have gone through a nightmare of removing them myself when I had to put roof rack rails on my Jeep so I can go skiing (yes, I do take my Jeep skiing). These are just plastic strips attached with a double sided tape. The front and rear of those strips cover rack rail mounting holes. Take a look at this PDF file: http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en-US/imagehandler.ashx?id=2254 and everything should be clear. After you take the strips off, you will have to deal with a fukload of double-sided tape on your roof, which you have to remove using a 3M strip-off (or stripe-off) wheel.

Finally, it seems like screw holes covered by those plastic strips go right into the roof cavity (i.e. there is an opening) so if your plastic strips are coming off, its probably a good idea to get the moro....I mean the dealer to strip them off and re-apply them. Or, if you would like to still have normal paint on your roof, you may do it yourself.
Thanks for the info! That link seems to be broken. But when I was at the dealer the other day I was looking at a Commander, and noticed it's rails are right at the edge of the roof. Right where those strips are on ours. So I guess there's an optional rack for the GC that would use those holes you found.

wink

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thanks for the info! That link seems to be broken. But when I was at the dealer the other day I was looking at a Commander, and noticed it's rails are right at the edge of the roof. Right where those strips are on ours. So I guess there's an optional rack for the GC that would use those holes you found.

wink
The link is definitely not broken - I just tested it. It points directly to an Adobe PDF file which contains the installation manual for roof rails and you may have a problem opening PDF files. Anyway, here is a different link:

http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en-US/82211308/partinfo.aspx?DivisionId=1&Year=2008&VehicleId=23&CategoryId=1002&GroupId=2018&SubGroupId=3268&pc=28277

Click on "Installation Guide" to open the PDF file and you will see a diagram of a roof with rails.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts