Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys / Gals,

So today I finally had a chance to track on a road course my beast. For those who don't know what has been done to by ride, here is a BRIEF lowdown...

performance: PWR 393, Vortech V3, 30T pulley, mild cam, AR longtube headers, Corsa, SHR tranny

suspension: Addco front and rear sways, BWoody endlinks, QA1 rear shocks

tires: GY fronts new, rears 60%

It was a rainy and cool day on track (50F)

On a straight line, the rig was fast... quickest among the Porsche's and Ferrari (albeit the Ferrari was babying the car) and the brakes were excellent.

The issue(s) I was having were at the corners. HOLY [email protected] batman.... the rear end wanted to come around even with NOT on the gas. Touch the accelerator and the electronics just shuts her down. It's so tail happy.

I reduced rear tire pressure to 30psi AND set the shocks to the softest settings. This did help BUT the @ss end was hard to control in these wet conditions.

Furthermore, my accelerator pedal was really twitchy. It was acting like it was all on or off. Im working with Johan on this so I know this will get resolved.

Bottom line, for those who have roadcourse experience, what can I do to help the rear handling? Could it be because the rear GY tires are 'worn' even when there is plenty of thread left?! The front of the car sticks like glue, so I'm in total oversteer condition here.

Help?!!

Thanks

Steve

·
Premium Member
7,169 Posts
Wavetrac rearend would help and NITTO NT05(which are made specifically for serious road coursing)

WTF are you doing on stock goodyears man? :rolleyes:

That's your problem right there

·
Premium Member
12,170 Posts
Furthermore, my accelerator pedal was really twitchy. It was acting like it was all on or off. Im working with Johan on this so I know this will get resolved.
I had a similar problem I believe was remedied by adjusting the BOV. Johan tired multiple adjustments to the tune for me, but the BOV is what ended correcting the problem.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
On a roadcourse you want to increase your tire pressure not decrease it. Your sidewalls flex under the load. I would recommend about 50 psi on a roadcourse.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I would definitely agree that your tires are one of the issues. If you have more than 15,000 on them, the Goodyears are horrible in the rain/wet. I also think you need to make sure Johan removes any throttle boost but you are on that. I also agree on the tire pressure. Start at 35 with cool tires and you should be over 40 after a couple of laps.

If your traction control hasn't turned itself off after a couple of laps I would suggest doing it. It allows for a little less of computer interference. Here is a vid of me in the lead running in the rain

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys!!! How do you adjust the BOV? AND what am I to adust it to?

·
Registered
673 Posts
When I had the stock goodyears, they would kick out in hard turns even at stock powerlevels on wet cloverleaf highway onramps. You didn't need to put much throttle into it to make it happen.

Remove them, they're holding you back big time. Vreds work awesome in the rain, NT05's great in the dry.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Raising on OLD thread... still looking at how to 'adjust' the stock BOV in the Vortec. Can't seem to figure this out. Can someone who has done this please comment?

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Raising on OLD thread... still looking at how to 'adjust' the stock BOV in the Vortec. Can't seem to figure this out. Can someone who has done this please comment?
If you want this to be answered, I would make a thread just about that. It's going to get lost with the title of this thread.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Hey buddy, you can buy Vreds in North Van. You will NEVER have that oversteer problem with those. Best rain tire ever!!

·
Premium Member
16,354 Posts
Yeah, I know from the Track Experience how they want the tires to be 45-50.

Wish I had the experience in this, but we all know Chad does. When are you going to get back?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts