Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to supercharge my jeep without adding Pistons or rods. I'm only going to keep it at that 6lb mark because I'm simply not willing to spend 10+k to go fast. I'm not trying to break records at the track, but simply go a little faster and have fun past 50mph.

With all that being said, has anyone had any experience with RIPPs vortech kit? Or know anything about them as far as reliability and performance after time? Because this will be my DD and I don't plan on doing anything else to it afterwards nor trading the jeep.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My local shop installs a bunch of them but for whatever reason, people with Wranglers and regular Grand Cherokees are most popular. Not sure why you'd want to super charge one of those motors but to each their own. He said his customers are happy with the product. RIPP certainly doesn't have the reputation of a company like Procharger, but their products seem to be focused on all Chrysler group vehicles. According to their site, the kit for a 2016-2018 GCSRT uses a vortech v3 unit. So I'm not sure how much of their product line is actually designed by RIPP. Unless I'm reading this incorrectly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My local shop installs a bunch of them but for whatever reason, people with Wranglers and regular Grand Cherokees are most popular. Not sure why you'd want to super charge one of those motors but to each their own. He said his customers are happy with the product. RIPP certainly doesn't have the reputation of a company like Procharger, but their products seem to be focused on all Chrysler group vehicles. According to their site, the kit for a 2016-2018 GCSRT uses a vortech v3 unit. So I'm not sure how much of their product line is actually designed by RIPP. Unless I'm reading this incorrectly.
Yeah I've done quite a bit of research. As much as can be done actually. I just simply have not seen any feedback from 6.4 jeep owners on how their vehicle held up. Most people choose the RIPP (including me considering it) because I don't want to forge the internals, and am fine with running just a conservative 5-6 lbs of boost. That would still be a large enough "umph" in gains for me to be satisfied at that price point. I have also noticed RIPP more so in 3.6L applications, such as chargers, etc. But that's not a good comparison or way to guage how the 6.4L manages with it. I would go Procharger as well at 6 psi, but I just don't have Procharger money.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Completely understandable. Given the fact RIPP is using a vortech unit, I'd venture to guess it'll work out just fine. At 5-6lbs of boost I can't imagine there should be much concern with the motor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes they are using the vortech v3. I'd also upgrade to colder plugs and bigger injectors. From my research, centrifugal superchargers are easier on the engine than the Whipple type. As the power comes on gradually and linear instead of just all at once.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
I ran a Vortech V3 @12psi on a cam only 6.1 motor for many years and passes.

It really all boils down to proper tuning. Keep things cool and keep detonation under control and it will last. Don’t use the base tune in perpetuity.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ran a Vortech V3 @12psi on a cam only 6.1 motor for many years and passes.

It really all boils down to proper tuning. Keep things cool and keep detonation under control and it will last. Don’t use the base tune in perpetuity.
Well it seems the 6.4 is the only one that doesn't like boost because the piston rings being so close to the top of the piston. 6 psi or less to be safe. And I agree with the tuning and heat management for sure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm looking to supercharge my jeep without adding Pistons or rods. I'm only going to keep it at that 6lb mark because I'm simply not willing to spend 10+k to go fast. I'm not trying to break records at the track, but simply go a little faster and have fun past 50mph.

With all that being said, has anyone had any experience with RIPPs vortech kit? Or know anything about them as far as reliability and performance after time? Because this will be my DD and I don't plan on doing anything else to it afterwards nor trading the jeep.
Great experience with Paxton and Whipple.
I prefer Paxton. Whipple’s helix design is IMO too loud for a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
17,155 Posts
I had a few come through the shop when I worked at a shop. Mostly for retuning. Their tuning is absolutely garbage at best. If you do run their kit, I suggest getting a tune done by a REPUTIBLE HEMI tuner, not some Ford moron who will run too much timing and blow it up.

Most of the issues I've seen with that kit are from people trying to go bigger(more hp). The bracketry is kinda weak sauce on their kit for the headunit. Seen them flex. Lot's of belt issues from customers. Belt issues could have been from installer as well.

You'll hear good thing and bad things about Ripp Kits. They do work. I'm not a fan personally but I'd rather do a Procharger or Vortech kit with a front mount intercooler.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a few come through the shop when I worked at a shop. Mostly for retuning. Their tuning is absolutely garbage at best. If you do run their kit, I suggest getting a tune done by a REPUTIBLE HEMI tuner, not some Ford moron who will run too much timing and blow it up.

Most of the issues I've seen with that kit are from people trying to go bigger(more hp). The bracketry is kinda weak sauce on their kit for the headunit. Seen them flex. Lot's of belt issues from customers. Belt issues could have been from installer as well.

You'll hear good thing and bad things about Ripp Kits. They do work. I'm not a fan personally but I'd rather do a Procharger or Vortech kit with a front mount intercooler.
Thanks for the feedback and personal experience. I think I'ma just bite the bullet and sell the SRT in search of a used trackhawk. Seems like the best way to jump in power is to just buy a new jeep. I don't have the patience to save save save for parts on top of parts.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thanks for the feedback and personal experience. I think I'ma just bite the bullet and sell the SRT in search of a used trackhawk. Seems like the best way to jump in power is to just buy a new jeep. I don't have the patience to save save save for parts on top of parts.
10 grand for a good supercharger install or a 40 grand price increase to buy a used Trackhawk over what you currently own. My view is that you can get 85% of the way for 1/4 the cost. Boils down to how much money you have sitting around. Or how you want to spend it...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The only major differentiator between the Trackhawk and srt is the engine output. So if you're easily able to pull 600-650 hp from the srt with a supercharger...
I wouldn't say easily. Well...yeah easily. But not reliably without forging the internals. The drop in Pistons are only $800 on modern muscle. But the install for them bad boys (not all of us are garage heroes) is around 5k. At least that's what I've been quoted with a few shops. I'm not paying 6k just for some stronger Pistons (7-8k for piston and rod combo installed). Then turn around and buy a GOOD supercharger kit, because with a forged engine, there's no point in running a budget RIPP kit, so that's another 7-8k. Get that installed and tuned, another 2-3k. By the end of this, we're talking 16-19k. I don't have near the patience to save up that much money. But what I am willing to do is sell my jeep, and increase my monthly car note by 400$, which I can afford, to own a trackhawk. Or maybe I'm not willing..lol. I mean...it's a damn car at the end of the day. And keeping up with the Joneses is wack. My cammed 392 is a beast. But....it's really only a beast to 60-70 mph. Then it's a slouch. And that is my sole issue with the jeep SRT.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
The only major differentiator between the Trackhawk and srt is the engine output. So if you're easily able to pull 600-650 hp from the srt with a supercharger...
Engine internals, trans, branding and the list goes on. I’ve been in this game since 2010 and there is always more than just throw a supercharger on it and it will just work.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The srt will still be fine with the added power. Sure they modified some components for the Trackhawk. They also left ones on it from the v6 model grand Cherokee. There is a shop by me that works mostly on mopars. They do this work and haven't had a return client yet. If you dont run 20 psi the stock components are fine. People still blow up modified shit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts