Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After only 3500 miles I have rim rash on three wheels. I've never scraped a curb and can only speculate that it occurred going through an automatic car wash where the rails were set too close. How can I easily repair the rim rash? On two wheels the clear coat is scraped off, and on the other the clear coat is scraped off right down to the metal. All are a few inches long. This is my daily driver so I don't want to dismount them for repair (at great expense). Is there a quick fix (like buffing or polishing) or am I stuck with this?

· Has Been
8,532 Posts
You can bet your butt it's caused by automatic car washes. I stopped going through those as soon as I got my jeep. They are nothing but trouble, especially with wheels that stick out as far as ours.

Reactions: BigHemi

· Registered
5,046 Posts
After only 3500 miles I have rim rash on three wheels. I've never scraped a curb and can only speculate that it occurred going through an automatic car wash where the rails were set too close. How can I easily repair the rim rash? On two wheels the clear coat is scraped off, and on the other the clear coat is scraped off right down to the metal. All are a few inches long. This is my daily driver so I don't want to dismount them for repair (at great expense). Is there a quick fix (like buffing or polishing) or am I stuck with this?
If it's scraped down to the metal, how is polishing or buffing going to replace primer, paint, and clear? If you want them fixed, you are going to have to take them off the Jeep to get repaired. If you have somewhere local, they usually have a one day turnaround. You do not need to take the tire of the wheel itself, they will take care of it. Oh, and next time do not use the automatic carwash. Find somewhere that hand washes or wash it yourself, the Jeep is worth the extra couple bucks.

· Registered
611 Posts
Car washes are the devil!
QUOTE]

Yup, had my wheel scraped as well. I got some touch up for it though. First and last time I'll have the SRT at a car wash.

· Registered
611 Posts

· Registered
220 Posts
Did you purchase the tire/wheel insurance with the vehicle? If so, they will repair or replace the rims for you.

· Registered
467 Posts
I have a nice size chip out of my one wheel already too. It's down to the black primer.

For the record, I have not run the Jeep through a car was nor have I scraped any curbs.....so where did the chip come from? I don't remember it on delivery either.

If these wheels don't hold up, I may end up getting them black chromed or something similar.

Reactions: BigHemi

· Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
Car washes are off limits with low profile wheel and tire setups. If there is a rail on the floor........it's no bueno. I only use the self serve bays, or wash it at my house by hand. The only carwash that is safe, is the automatic car washes with the laser, or weight sensor on the ground. The vehicle stays stationary in the stall, while the sprayer rotates around the truck.

· Registered
467 Posts
Car washes are off limits with low profile wheel and tire setups. If there is a rail on the floor........it's no bueno. I only use the self serve bays, or wash it at my house by hand. The only carwash that is safe, is the automatic car washes with the laser, or weight sensor on the ground. The vehicle stays stationary in the stall, while the sprayer rotates around the truck.
You Massachusetts guys get all the good stuff! I've never seen one of those type car washes here in PA. Damn.

· Registered
741 Posts
Greater Philly area, Northwestern burbs to be exact.

Cool, I gotta find one of those now. Thanks.
They are out there I'm originally from Lansdale, Montgomery county.

· Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
Greater Philly area, Northwestern burbs to be exact.

Cool, I gotta find one of those now. Thanks.

You're right, not many at all in your area. Apparently, some of the BP gas stations in your area have touchless car washes now.

Found this in another forum:
The BP softtouch/brushless/lambscloth carwash is on (the south side of) Grant ave. between Rt. 1 and Bustleton ave. in N.E. Philly.

Hahaha, this is the name of the place near us too; Tidal Wave:
http://www.tidalwavecarwash.net/http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...284&t=h&z=19&iwloc=A&cid=15113383563409526081

Others have said they travel to NJ. :eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.