Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after only 12,000 miles the hatch struts gave up--was surprised how heavy it is. i have a maxicare warranty but i assume they are not covered "wear and tear", so the question is where to get the best replacements and how do you remove the old ones. thanks

·
Registered
2010 WK1 coming soon......
1,508 Posts
send me the last eight of your vin, current mileage and your last name and I can look up if they are covered or not.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
PM replied. Covered repair by service contract. Would still be cheaper to replace yourself.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
after only 12,000 miles the hatch struts gave up--was surprised how heavy it is. i have a maxicare warranty but i assume they are not covered "wear and tear", so the question is where to get the best replacements and how do you remove the old ones. thanks
Not sure what "Champion" means by covered under service contract, or why it would be cheaper to replace yourself. Can't speak to the fact or not if they are covered under the original 3/36 factory warranty, or under and extended warranty.

But they do wear out. Got 5 years and 58,000 miles out of mine. They are readily available from Strongarm, at Advance and other parts stores.

For the liftgate itself, it is part number D6104. They are held on by two #40 Torx screws. So you'll need a driver or bit. And obviously do one at a time, and have a helper or prop up hatch accordingly.

For the glass window, it is part # E6601. These are a slipfit on one end, and a nut/bolt on the other.

They are all about $28 to $32 each I think. So if they are covered for you, and getting to a dealer is not too much of a hassle, it's cheaper than $60 plus bucks in my opinion.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...port-Strong-Arm_20940091-P_565_R|GRP60004____

(And, oh yeah, they look just like the factory....They do not have a big "Strongarm decal" on them. At least mine don't.)

All of

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Not sure what "Champion" means by covered under service contract, or why it would be cheaper to replace yourself. Can't speak to the fact or not if they are covered under the original 3/36 factory warranty, or under and extended warranty.

But they do wear out. Got 5 years and 58,000 miles out of mine. They are readily available from Strongarm, at Advance and other parts stores.

For the liftgate itself, it is part number D6104. They are held on by two #40 Torx screws. So you'll need a driver or bit. And obviously do one at a time, and have a helper or prop up hatch accordingly.

For the glass window, it is part # E6601. These are a slipfit on one end, and a nut/bolt on the other.

They are all about $28 to $32 each I think. So if they are covered for you, and getting to a dealer is not too much of a hassle, it's cheaper than $60 plus bucks in my opinion.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Lift-Support-Strong-Arm_20940091-P_565_R%7CGRP60004____

(And, oh yeah, they look just like the factory....They do not have a big "Strongarm decal" on them. At least mine don't.)

All of

They are covered under his service contract. Very simple. Deductible is $100 no matter what the repair is. So in this case for shocks at $30 each it is cheaper to do it himself.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
They are covered under his service contract. Very simple. Deductible is $100 no matter what the repair is. So in this case for shocks at $30 each it is cheaper to do it himself.
Gotcha. I might have in my mind been confusing service contract with warranty. But from my recollection, does not Chrysler Maxcare offer 0, 50, and 100 deductibles per visit? Couldn't tell from the post, but guess you could see it in info you pulled.

Regardless, I concede the point, and hopefully we both helped him somewhat. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.