Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dreaded leather dash bubble has hit me HARD in the last few days. Went from a small peeling problem to an embarrassing, near dire emergency. Just about the whole thing is coming unglued everywhere. Looks like it got hit with a VX gas rocket from Ed Harris after he took over Alcatraz.

Warranty will not cover it, and Chrysler/Jeep pretty much said its mine to deal with now and its not a safety issue. Pretty ridiculous a $60K+ vehicle dash wont last 37 months on the road.

In the end, I dont want a factory dash, I want to recover a replacement dash. Maybe suede to match the seats? I cant find a part number though, or locate a used dash to cut up.

Anyone have an idea on a part number for the dash structure, or know of a used or take off dash laying around somewhere?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Idk but "The Rock" was such a solid movie...great reference!

And oh yeah, sorry about the dash man, that blows!

·
Contributing Member
4,589 Posts
Why not try a shop to do the work? Not the kind of shop that works on civics or scions, but a resto shop, or upholstery shop to replace/cover what they can.

I don't know where it's bubbling, or what it looks like, but it is an option for you. A new OEM dash would be just as costly, if not more expensive. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not try a shop to do the work? Not the kind of shop that works on civics or scions, but a resto shop, or upholstery shop to replace/cover what they can.

I don't know where it's bubbling, or what it looks like, but it is an option for you. A new OEM dash would be just as costly, if not more expensive. Just my opinion.

Exactly the plan, actually.

Just looking for an already busted up dash to recover and swap in, or even try myself. I figure there are hundreds if not a thousand of these wrinkled leather dashes (all Grand Cherokees, not just SRT) that have been replaced judging on the complaints all over the net. Just hoping for one of them to come my way (or get the OEM # to at least reference).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a local shop willing to do the work. They seemed legitimately interested in going perforated suede and said the work itself is not a big deal, or even terribly expensive. They weren't convinced though, that the leather/foam/vinyl portion that is peeling, is removable on its own.

Looks like more investigating is due, unless there is anyone that can confirm the top pad is or is not removable without pulling the entire dash/console?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The diagram looks promising, like it is replaceable!

But I would rather break mine apart slowly and painfully than pay the $700 new OEM....

Good find!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey guys anyone an idea how to change the bulb in the glove compartment ?
I could take the old buld easily out but cannot put the new LED inside. There is no place damned!! I guess the part where the bulb comes in must come out somehow !

Greetzs from Hamburg

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hey guys anyone an idea how to change the bulb in the glove compartment ?
I could take the old buld easily out but cannot put the new LED inside. There is no place damned!! I guess the part where the bulb comes in must come out somehow !

Greetzs from Hamburg
The plastic side panel of the glove box that contacts the door when closed easily pops off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The dreaded leather dash bubble has hit me HARD in the last few days. Went from a small peeling problem to an embarrassing, near dire emergency. Just about the whole thing is coming unglued everywhere. Looks like it got hit with a VX gas rocket from Ed Harris after he took over Alcatraz.

Warranty will not cover it, and Chrysler/Jeep pretty much said its mine to deal with now and its not a safety issue. Pretty ridiculous a $60K+ vehicle dash wont last 37 months on the road.

In the end, I dont want a factory dash, I want to recover a replacement dash. Maybe suede to match the seats? I cant find a part number though, or locate a used dash to cut up.

Anyone have an idea on a part number for the dash structure, or know of a used or take off dash laying around somewhere?
Got a letter in the mail. There going to fix it for free.with longer car. Happy days......

·
Registered
16 Posts
Getting mine fixed as we speak. Pick it up tomorrow. 2015 red vapor so not fully warranty covered on the dash. After a few Twitter post on the" how great Jeep is" tweet got a deal to only have to pay labor cost.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts