Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey peeps -need some help. I had my low beam front passenger light go last night and need to replace. I bought the Jeep on December and it looks like headlights were modified at some point (possibly with HID's) because I see some wires that were "tagged" (I'm guessing so it could be put back to the stock halogens). On the drivers side engine firewall there is this gold ......don't know what it is...with 2 wires attached. One of the wires has been "cut" but the other is attached (but can't see where this goes or what it's connected to. Pictures are below. I guess my question is: should I reconnect the wire that was cut? I haven't had any other issues, but it looks like this was done for a reason. The current bulb is a Sylvania 9006 ST HB4. E1 22P 12V 51W.....should I just replace it with that or is there something better I should use? Sorry for all the newbie questions, but I got a little nervous when I saw the cut wire under the hood.....

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Attachments

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now that I look at it, it seems the wires are connected from the capacitor? to the turn signal....after reading a few threads, this looks to be a common mod....but would like confirmation from someone. Also why would one of the wires be cut?

· The Traveler
5,264 Posts
The gold thing with the 2 wires is a resistor. Some cars need them so there isn't an code thrown/bulb out message when retro fitting HIDs. You don't need them IMO for the jeep. I used them on my 05 Jeep GC Laredo but I didn't on my 07 Jeep GC SRT8. Both setups worked no problems.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

· The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Now that I look at it, it seems the wires are connected from the capacitor? to the turn signal....after reading a few threads, this looks to be a common mod....but would like confirmation from someone. Also why would one of the wires be cut?

It's possible the resistor is for LED turn signal bulbs? LED bulbs usually need a resistor wired in.

I can't say what you should do without seeing the wiring myself.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Resister, that's what I meant. I'm guessing that's what was done. I'll check the turn signals..thanks for your reply.

· Registered
532 Posts
I just ordered LED bulbs for my DRLs and was told they are just plug and play. Is there more to it?

· The Traveler
5,264 Posts
I just ordered LED bulbs for my DRLs and was told they are just plug and play. Is there more to it?

They make "DRL" LED bulbs, not sure what's different between that and a regular non DRL LED bulb.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

· Registered
532 Posts
Thx. I ordered them based on advice from xenon depot so hopefully they work!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.