Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all.

I recently went to put my summer tires on my 2010 Jeep GC SRT8 I bought in Dec. One of the sumemrs that were given to me was damaged. The dealer bought me a new one. I took it to my local tire shop and they said I could not simply just put the new tire on with an older tire (approx 70% tread left). I priced out a new back tire and may buy it tomorrow. My problem is after researching it a bit, I am finding that I am supposed to replace the fronts as well. They are also easily over 70% tread left. These tires are not the cheapest things around so if I can avoid making another costly purchase I am all ears...

Oh the reasoning behind changing all 4 tires was something to do with the trasnfer case of transmission...as I say I am clueless but I am told that it is not good and driving with different tread percentages will harm the vehicle...

Any input or suggestions?

· Vendor
5,596 Posts
I think they're trying to take your wallet for a ride and make you buy all new tires...if you have a full set of tires and they all have 70% tread on them, and one of them is brand new, you'll be fine...I can see how it would affect your vehicle if they were completely different but that's minimal and you shouldn't worry too much about that. I'm sure other will chime in to this thread too and say the same thing...

· The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Another option is look in the for sale here. I'm sure you can get a rear set on here cheaper than 1 new. Most for sale here are around the half tread life left.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

· Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
70% tread left is pretty iffy to throw a single brand new tire into the mix. You can run into tracking, and handling problems if its a front tire. It is recommended to change all 4 tires at once on an AWD vehicle.........but you could probably get away with doing a pair if there is 70% tread left. There can be up to 3% difference in the tire diameter between the front and rear tires.

· Registered
7,003 Posts
Now STANG is right on the tracking troubles. I had 22,000 on my front tires and 1 needed to be replaced under warranty and gy replaced it even tho i had 22,000 mile on the other front 1 and i havnt had any tracking problem at all. I bought the tires at american tires which is nation wide. I would say that tire saleman was talking out his a.s.s because his mouth knew better. Now they told me in CA they cant put 2 diff tread pattern on the front at all.

· Registered
400 Posts
Put two new rear tires on the back, disconnect the TC motor...do a huge burn out (make sure you video tape it). Solution 1

Like was mentioned, try to buy a used set of rear tires.

If you have 70% tread, I don't know that a new set of rears is going to give you any issues, but I'm no expert.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. After I posted this I read down a bit and seems someone else had this issue. There was a good read there but it finally came down to some math and fractions and seemed to make sense to me so I will stick with my new rear tires, and keep my 70% fronts tillnext year when I may just buy a while new setof rims n rubber...tks

· Registered
820 Posts
Thanks everyone. After I posted this I read down a bit and seems someone else had this issue. There was a good read there but it finally came down to some math and fractions and seemed to make sense to me so I will stick with my new rear tires, and keep my 70% fronts tillnext year when I may just buy a while new setof rims n rubber...tks

thats what i did and no issues

· Registered
562 Posts
Now STANG is right on the tracking troubles. I had 22,000 on my front tires and 1 needed to be replaced under warranty and gy replaced it even tho i had 22,000 mile on the other front 1 and i havnt had any tracking problem at all. I bought the tires at american tires which is nation wide. I would say that tire saleman was talking out his a.s.s because his mouth knew better. Now they told me in CA they cant put 2 diff tread pattern on the front at all.
Two different tread patterns is good advice. Think about it, you have two different tires which could act differently in a situation which could cause one side to have more traction

· Registered
419 Posts
That is absolute BS on the tire shops part. I effing hate dealing with any type of service shop including dealers. Seems like no one knows jack shit anymore. Whenever I run into an issue with these slackers I say, I received my mechanical engineering degree from a 4 year university, where did you get yours? Once pushed for a technical explanation on something they're done.

Brand new vs. 70% left on a tire equates to about 1/8 inch difference in height. Give me a break Mr Tire shop guy! Tires will wear that amount difference front to rear or side to side.
Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.