Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious I you guys have any advice or tricks to the install? Haven't really looked at what's involved yet, I installed the kit myself but not confident of the blower pulley itself.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
You're talking cog pulley , meaning are going to install the 30T Pulley ?
If so , it took me less then 10 min . What i do is loose the tensioner , then remove the filter from the front of the blower and you will see a screw looking at you , use that to hold while you undo the cog pulley screw .

Front of the blower

back cog pulley

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx bud, yes I'm swapping in the 30T. I guess the little grey cap on the cog bolt just pops off.

·
Registered
58 Posts
In doing so wouldnt you risk loosening the nut on the impeller shaft and then have to retighten and torque it to exact specs? Seems a little risky no? It would seem they are two seperate bolts seperated by a bushing but obviously connected and spinning together.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Impeller bolt won't even move , just hold it and force the cog bolt towards the fender .

·
Spinning aint winning!!
1,038 Posts
If you have the blower off completely just hit the pulley bolt with a impact gun real quick thats what I did worked great and you dont have to worry about the pulley spinning on you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If its on the car just use a strap wrench to hold the pulley and then loosen the bolt. ;) If Paulo says force the bolt towards fender then its a right hand thread. Standard.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So everyone makes taking the pulley on an off easy, but what about the tensioner bolt? Can only get to the backside, front is buried under the intercooler and lines/hoses, looks like I have to move all that to get a wrench on it so I can retighten after I loosen. Does everyone forget to mention that step?

·
Spinning aint winning!!
1,038 Posts
So everyone makes taking the pulley on an off easy, but what about the tensioner bolt? Can only get to the backside, front is buried under the intercooler and lines/hoses, looks like I have to move all that to get a wrench on it so I can retighten after I loosen. Does everyone forget to mention that step?
You dont have to remove the hoses from the aftercooler just take off the intake couplers disconnect the IAT sensor and move the aftercooler to the side.

Then if your lucky you can loosein the tensior pulley bolt from the the back side and slide it down enough to get the belt loose enough to pull the pulley off. You also will have to move the coolant overflow tank to the side.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How do u guys keep tension on the tensioner pulley? I used a small crow bar and tightened it that way. Good thought on the coolant overflow too. So much for a 10min job Paulo lmao. Thx guys

·
Spinning aint winning!!
1,038 Posts
That cog belt should not be super tight. It should have some slack in it so dont worry about getting it real tight you should be able to grab the belt and move it up and down a little.

Reactions: m4xm1l10n

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
That cog belt should not be super tight. It should have some slack in it so dont worry about getting it real tight you should be able to grab the belt and move it up and down a little.
Yes about 1" play

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I have the bolt and belt off, but no way is that pulley coming off the blower, I've tried everything won't budge?????? Am I missing something here? Do I need a pulley puller to get this off?? I don't recommend any one try this themselves, way more difficult than people make it out to be.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got it, had to heat the pulley a bit the use a little pry bar and it finally popped. What a PITA.

·
Spinning aint winning!!
1,038 Posts
Sounds like you ran into some trouble. But all in all thats considered to be a easy job to do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.