Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im coming up on 20k on my 14 jeep srt8 and am torn between using the redline 75w85 or the mopar specific oils for the front and rear diff.
Can anyone who has used both in their wk2 jeep chime in on their experience with either brand?

The one thing that makes me hesitant in using anything other then mopar is possibly warranty coverage issues in the future if any warranty need arises. Other then that, i love the realistic prices of redline or other competent brands out there vs the mopar brand

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no one? local dealer wants 52 a quart for the front and 62 for the rear.... a bit ridiculous if you ask me. online prices are a wee bit better but still ridiculous compared to redline or any other "top notch" reputable brand of fluid

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
no Redline experience as I am an Amsoil snob but go Redline if that is your aftermarket brand of choice....spec is API-GL5 full synthetic 75w-85 which it is....no need to waste money on the Mopar liquid gold for warranty concerns...remember warranty monkey is on their back not yours...they gotta prove your stuff caused the issue/failure, not the other way around.

I think the Redline 75w-85 is like the Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 in that it has just enough friction modifier to not cause chatter in the ELSD without additional FM....I have never had to add FM to the Amsoil...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is there a how to on changing fluids on the diffs or transfer case or is it pretty much drain and fill to the top of the fill port?

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
yep, that easy....justt the usual warm up first...just need a fluid pump to fill and be sure to loosen the upper fill plug before u drain lest u drain and no b able to get fill plug out...8mm allen socket, and don't over tighten 20 ftlb on TC and 22-24 on diffs will do....and u r good to go....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just changed the fluid in my Diff's and Tcase yesterday. I used the Amsoil 75w-90 severe gear in the front and rear Diff's. I used the mopar Tcase fluid from the dealer. I was getting binding on tight turns. With the fluid changed the binding is completley gone. So happy that fixed it...Just bought the truck a month ago. Its a black 14" BTW.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I too went with amsoil in the front and rear diff as well as in the tran. case. I run Pennzoil in the eng with a srt filter (for now...but maybe amsoil in that application too in the future)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just changed the fluid in my Diff's and Tcase yesterday. I used the Amsoil 75w-90 severe gear in the front and rear Diff's. I used the mopar Tcase fluid from the dealer. I was getting binding on tight turns. With the fluid changed the binding is completley gone. So happy that fixed it...Just bought the truck a month ago. Its a black 14" BTW.
The binding when you were turning? Have any problems with the amsoil since? I have the binding when I turn and need to get to it this weekend.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you don’t use the molar oil buy the additive to add to the rear only which eradicates the whole binding issue

1 - 12 of 12 Posts