Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had my 2012 GC SRT8 a few weeks so still finding out how 'used' it is. An unfortunate trip through the new car wash left a mark that makes me sick. This little wiring harness pictured below, has this damaged grommet. In the photo I've inserted it back into position, but the after car wash inspection, this grommet was not in the hole of the body of the Jeep. This allowed all the foamy blue soapy stuff to run of the roof, and a great deal of it entered this hole, essentially flooding my headliner. Looks great doesn't it?:surprise:
So I'm having a helluva time finding a replacement for this grommet. Is it part of the wiring harness, or a separate piece? I'm thinking it may be easier to get some black RTV to seal it up. Or might even mask off the area and spray it with Flex Seal. Then I've gotta deal with getting all that blue stuff out/off my headliner.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I had this same issue, luckily the water would leak straight down into the cargo area. I never take my jeep thru a drive thru wash either, just preference, so I only dealt with water never soap. I don't thing the soap will stain just get a spray bottle full of water and shoot the hell out of it to wash the soap out and let it air dry

·
Registered
474 Posts
Shit man. I'll have to check mine. That shouldn't stain, since its soap but it might take some work to get out. Worst case, its a good excused to get an Alcantara headliner! Just make sure that is sealed up! I might consider a premium closed cell foam, but just a very small amount that you could remove if any moisture gets trapped and starts to degrade it. You might look at a smaller hardware store that has true hardware (not a bigbox) and see if they have some rubber grommets that would work - you'd be surprised what they might have.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ah, brings back memories. This happened to me a month after warranty wore out. I fixed it myself two and a half years ago with some silicone sealant around gasket. Had to loosen some torx screws and folded rear spoiler up in order to get access. Good news is it's still holding... Wait, just took a closer look at photos, your leak is in a different location, mine was the grommet on tailgate window...don't know if my fix will work for yours. Sorry!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've only had my 2012 GC SRT8 a few weeks so still finding out how 'used' it is. An unfortunate trip through the new car wash left a mark that makes me sick. This little wiring harness pictured below, has this damaged grommet. In the photo I've inserted it back into position, but the after car wash inspection, this grommet was not in the hole of the body of the Jeep. This allowed all the foamy blue soapy stuff to run of the roof, and a great deal of it entered this hole, essentially flooding my headliner. Looks great doesn't it?:surprise:
So I'm having a helluva time finding a replacement for this grommet. Is it part of the wiring harness, or a separate piece? I'm thinking it may be easier to get some black RTV to seal it up. Or might even mask off the area and spray it with Flex Seal. Then I've gotta deal with getting all that blue stuff out/off my headliner.
Did your ever get the grommet issue resolved? I have the exact same problem and exact same pictures except my headliner stain is water stain. What did you do to fix?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did your ever get the grommet issue resolved? I have the exact same problem and exact same pictures except my headliner stain is water stain. What did you do to fix?
Same here. Just bought a used 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland. Ran it through the car wash and noticed water running in. If anyone knows the part number for this grommet, availability or other fix, please share.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the same issue. I can't identify where these wires might detatch in order to replace the grommet. Used a sealant about 6mo ago and it's needing redone...the area is so tight it's hard for me to get all of the way around the old grommet. Frustrating issue. Any ideas would be great!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the same issue. I can't identify where these wires might detatch in order to replace the grommet. Used a sealant about 6mo ago and it's needing redone...the area is so tight it's hard for me to get all of the way around the old grommet. Frustrating issue. Any ideas would be great!
Just left dealership with this problem on my 12 Cherokee Overland summit. Mine ruined the wiring and they quoted me $5000 to get it changed and the only way to change the grommet is when you change the wiring harness because it comes with the kit. So far only noticed the backup camera not working so I’m just gonna seal it up and call it good. I can backup without a camera…

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same here. Just bought a used 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland. Ran it through the car wash and noticed water running in. If anyone knows the part number for this grommet, availability or other fix, please share.
Just had the same problem with mine. Anybody find a work around to fix this. I don't know if Dorman will make a replacement since this one was installed with the wiring as it doesn't have a slit to wrap around the harness.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You have to find a plug/grommet (has a solid middle) that fits into the metal hole.I measured with calipers for both the harness O.D.and hole, but a cloth tape measure should work OK.
Now just cut a hole into the new grommet based on the harness O.D. where you removed the old grommet from. Make sure you use a very sharp blade. I used a fresh Xacto blade and traced around a foreign coin with a very slightly maller O.D., just so it was tight on the harness. Make sure the hole you're making is centered as much as you can (and I don't remember which coin I used, just know it was not a US coin) I suggest making it a little undersized as well. Once that is done you'll need to cut a slit in the grommet from center all the way out. Then slip it over te harness and test it to ensure you have a nice snug to tight fit around the harness and the hole. Once you are satisfied remove it and apply black RTV sealant or equivalent at the point on the harness were you removed the original grommet and some around the metal opening. Then put the one you made back on and adjust to ensure its were it should be. Once you're happy with that, apply more black RTV along the slit you made. My guess is you could empty the RTV tube out, but It's really not needed. I did all back in late 2019 - early 2020 and still all good and still have a least a half tube of RTV leftover. Not sure if the tube is dried up by now or not. Good luck if you go this route. Only other option that I'm aware of is to buy a new harness(es), YIKIES!! NOT for me!!☺ And not an junkyard one as you'll have the same issue very soon would be my guess..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought 1.25" flat grommets from the parts store along with some liquid electrical tape. Cut the necessary diameter out from the middle of the grommet and cut from the outside to center to wrap around the wiring. Put the grommet in with the cut facing away from the back of the vehicle. Facing it towards the front will leave the grommet susceptible to water running into it. After the grommet is in place use the liquid electrical tape to seal the cuts and openings. I used the liquid tape on top and bottom of the grommet. Haven't had any issues. Much better than the jungle rain showers the would leak through at the car wash before.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just left dealership with this problem on my 12 Cherokee Overland summit. Mine ruined the wiring and they quoted me $5000 to get it changed and the only way to change the grommet is when you change the wiring harness because it comes with the kit. So far only noticed the backup camera not working so I’m just gonna seal it up and call it good. I can backup without a camera…
I would just cut the wires and replace the rubber grommet... then reconnect the wires and heat shrink it... that should, take all of 10 mins.

Product Font Material property Rectangle Magenta

·
Registered
2 Posts
Black Automotive tire Wood Gas Technology

Black Font Grass Handwriting Asphalt

Very fast install and then put black RT. On top of it. You will need to use the bigger one call me if any questions 3345407072

1 - 16 of 16 Posts