Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had my 2012 GC SRT8 a few weeks so still finding out how 'used' it is. An unfortunate trip through the new car wash left a mark that makes me sick. This little wiring harness pictured below, has this damaged grommet. In the photo I've inserted it back into position, but the after car wash inspection, this grommet was not in the hole of the body of the Jeep. This allowed all the foamy blue soapy stuff to run of the roof, and a great deal of it entered this hole, essentially flooding my headliner. Looks great doesn't it?:surprise:
So I'm having a helluva time finding a replacement for this grommet. Is it part of the wiring harness, or a separate piece? I'm thinking it may be easier to get some black RTV to seal it up. Or might even mask off the area and spray it with Flex Seal. Then I've gotta deal with getting all that blue stuff out/off my headliner.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Oh shit. That's a day ruiner right there.

Reactions: JLowe

·
Registered
463 Posts
I would go to the dealer and see if they can locate a part number. That's too bad about the soap stain. I would imagine a detailing place should be able to get that out though.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I had this same issue, luckily the water would leak straight down into the cargo area. I never take my jeep thru a drive thru wash either, just preference, so I only dealt with water never soap. I don't thing the soap will stain just get a spray bottle full of water and shoot the hell out of it to wash the soap out and let it air dry

·
Registered
474 Posts
Shit man. I'll have to check mine. That shouldn't stain, since its soap but it might take some work to get out. Worst case, its a good excused to get an Alcantara headliner! Just make sure that is sealed up! I might consider a premium closed cell foam, but just a very small amount that you could remove if any moisture gets trapped and starts to degrade it. You might look at a smaller hardware store that has true hardware (not a bigbox) and see if they have some rubber grommets that would work - you'd be surprised what they might have.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ah, brings back memories. This happened to me a month after warranty wore out. I fixed it myself two and a half years ago with some silicone sealant around gasket. Had to loosen some torx screws and folded rear spoiler up in order to get access. Good news is it's still holding... Wait, just took a closer look at photos, your leak is in a different location, mine was the grommet on tailgate window...don't know if my fix will work for yours. Sorry!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've only had my 2012 GC SRT8 a few weeks so still finding out how 'used' it is. An unfortunate trip through the new car wash left a mark that makes me sick. This little wiring harness pictured below, has this damaged grommet. In the photo I've inserted it back into position, but the after car wash inspection, this grommet was not in the hole of the body of the Jeep. This allowed all the foamy blue soapy stuff to run of the roof, and a great deal of it entered this hole, essentially flooding my headliner. Looks great doesn't it?:surprise:
So I'm having a helluva time finding a replacement for this grommet. Is it part of the wiring harness, or a separate piece? I'm thinking it may be easier to get some black RTV to seal it up. Or might even mask off the area and spray it with Flex Seal. Then I've gotta deal with getting all that blue stuff out/off my headliner.
Did your ever get the grommet issue resolved? I have the exact same problem and exact same pictures except my headliner stain is water stain. What did you do to fix?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did your ever get the grommet issue resolved? I have the exact same problem and exact same pictures except my headliner stain is water stain. What did you do to fix?
Same here. Just bought a used 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland. Ran it through the car wash and noticed water running in. If anyone knows the part number for this grommet, availability or other fix, please share.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts