Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't THINK the transfer case is bad, so I started this thread...could be wrong though.

So I got my Jeep back yesterday...426 is installed...thing is a blast. I rode with cutouts open all day yesterday, pissing off anyone within ear shot, i.e. two block radius. When the engine was swapped they pulled out the entire drivetrain and dropped the engine. So I'm wondering if the driveshaft wasn't re-installed properly, or maybe a U-joint is going bad, or bolts are tightened fully? I'm hoping to get it on the lift tomorrow.

So today I was doing some logging for Johan. Start the Jeep, notice a weird vibration sound coming from the back...I think. Put it in reverse, backed out of parking spot and the noise stayed. Put it in drive, noise stayed, because more evident as I applied light throttle. Then I started thinking that maybe it's the transfer case, "when's the last time I changed the fluid?" Noise goes away after a minute. Drive 10-15 minutes, logging, get to a bumpy intersection, going over the bumps it seems like the noise comes back! I can't place it because it's so sporadic, and when it comes it's only audible for a few seconds.

When I first had my exhaust done, one of the pipes was like a 1/2 inch from the cross member that the transfer case sits on - when I hit bumps it made an incredibly similar noise.

Anyone have a similar story or ideas?

·
PWR 440
1,627 Posts
Right now i got the mid pipes vibrating on the cross member...... yeah it sucks! I also had a noice coming from the back end and it turned out to be a clamp (i think) just on the inside of the back bumper above the tips hitting the bottom of the jeep.

Good Luck.

Newfie.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ooo...interesting...the exhaust system was cut up and readjusted with some new flanges so that it would be easier to remove in the future...maybe the adjustments are causing some issue...thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.