Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a couple of Jeeps and one of them doesn't have the rear DVD which is something I want for my son for long trips...

Looking for some insight... Should I hold out for a Jeep with this option or should I just go the aftermarket route. The stock unit seems pretty small and I haven't tried them out first hand. I am thinking the monitors in the back of the head rest would be a better angle for a toddler?

Can a dealer install an OEM DVD player? The Jeep I'm looking at has NAV if that makes a difference.

I haven't done the research on aftermarket - thanks for any input.

· PWR - Boosted & Stroked
8,565 Posts
If it has the MyGig unit it should have outputs, not positive. I know Harrison has headrest monitors but he runs an aftermarket head unit. Google "mygig update" & find the site dedicated to the mygig unit, it has lots of info & a forum as well. I don't think we can post a link to it here.

Jim

· Night Stalker v2.0
1,096 Posts
The OEM unit can be installed in vehicles that didn't come with it.

Reactions: Next Phase

· Premium Member
220 Posts
I have the headrest DVD in my Dodge Ram truck, works great especially as our son is still in a car seat and can't sit in the middle due to the shape of the truck's rear seat. It's a MOPAR oem unit that hooks up through the nav system, would be even better if I had the lockpick system installed. I test drove a jeep with the dvd suspended from the headliner and it blocks a lot of view, which I thought would make our long-distance driving more difficult as we travel I-75 between FL and NC through Atlanta. I don't have any system yet in my jeep, was contemplating the headrest unit as there was one for sale on ebay not too long ago for a big discount. I've also seen an Ipad hookup for the headrest but have not explored in detail so I cannot offer any opinion.

· Registered
202 Posts
I have dual Visualogic DVD headrests in mine and like them better than the factory monitor. I would buy them again for sure. The newest ones are touchscreen. Let me know if you want more info.

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input all!

I have dual Visualogic DVD headrests in mine and like them better than the factory monitor. I would buy them again for sure. The newest ones are touchscreen. Let me know if you want more info.
Yes, please send me some info and price if you have it.

Thanks!

· Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Id like info on it too.. Any pics of the set up?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

· Registered
202 Posts
I think I paid $1700 for the pair, but they've come way down since. You can also buy cheaper options, like one DVD player for two monitors. Mine's a DVD built in to each monitor, so they can be watched separately, or the same thing on both. Dual wireless headsets, and sound is broadcast over FM signal also. Exact match to color and material of stock headrests. The shape is a bit off from the stock ones, but nothing major. Comes with a remote. I guess the only downside is you have to load the DVD and press play from the screen side. So if you're on the highway you have to have a passenger lean over the seat with the remote to restart the movie. In the city you can lean back from the driver seat at a traffic light and point the remote. Install was not bad. The hardest part was figuring out how to separate the J-clips on the bottom of the seat back to run the wires. Once I figured it out, it was easy! I believe there's also an aux in on the control box, for an i pod or game system or something. Put it in right after I bought the vehicle, and my little guy loves it. Am I allowed to post the link from a non supported vendor?

Attachments

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the pics Edmoton... I did some research and found some really inexpensive replacement head rests for $150 to $200 / side. TV/ DVD combo...

Wasn't nearly as expensive as I thought. Ultimately, the non-DVD vehicles are not a deal breaker IMHO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.