Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have only had my SRT8 for two months and 1900 miles. Was washing the car today and found a paint chip on the left rear bumper, beneath the tail light, next to the liftgate. It's really small, but it bugged me because the rest of the bumper is clean, it's not an area that would be easily hit, I don't routinely load large objects into the back that would hit that area, and I only hand wash/wax my car (washed X 3, waxed X2). "Oh well," I thought, but right when I started to try to accept it, I found an identical paint chip in the same location on the opposite side. Symmetric paint chips with no real identifiable cause suggests manufacturer's defect to me. Am I wrong? My worry is that this may turn into something bigger, and I don't want to blow it off and then turn around after my warranty is expired and have a rear bumper that is slowly peeling off in its entirety. Has anyone ever dealt with paint issues within the basic warranty period with a Chrysler product? I am bracing for the likelihood that the dealer will brush me off. Part of me feels ridiculous for considering it, but after spending 60K I feel like that is exactly what I should do. Even the best case scenario is worrisome, though, as the solution (repainting the bumper under warranty) may be worse than the problem (less than factory quality fit/finish, less than perfect color matching). I have already ordered some touch up pens in case I get no love at the dealership. Please tell me what you think. I have included pictures. The first is of the left side, the second is of the right.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
That definitely looks like the result of being nicked. Question is, when/where. If I had to bet $$, I'd say during the assembly line build. But it'll be hard to prove it.

When I bought my Charger, the salesman insisted on doing a complete inspection with me before I drove it off the lot. Matter of fact, it was because of that inspection that I found a slight tear in the leather on the backside of the driver's seat. I never woulda thought to even look back there...

Is it possible that you could have missed those nicks during the five times you were fondling your truck?

·
Premium Member
16,346 Posts
That's the pain of washing the car so often, you always find something new or have to look over something you know its there.

Being symmetric like that does make me wonder. Also being on the corner, maybe the red paint is pretty thin?

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Possible to take a pic a little further back? Not for detail but for scale/location.

·
Registered
439 Posts
that's a tuff situation. Small imperfections but enough to bother you and me, especially on a brand new beauty. I would see if the dealer will take care of it ASAP with the consideration that you just spent 60k with them. Just make sure they don't have a lot lizard come out and do a shit job trying to spot refinish those areas without taking the bumper off. They need to overhaul the bumper repair and spot and clear out the whole bumper cover. If the chips are towards the inside they should only have a small area to prime and base coat , then they can clear out the sides to the rear 1/4 panels and there should not be much of a variance in the color match . Good luck..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took it to the dealer who said they have seen similar issues in other cars. They say they have had other vehicles arrive that way. The thought is that the paint gathers at that corner and then gets knocked off with final prep/buffing. My dealer has a body shop who did a real nice job touching it up. They gave me the option of them taking off the bumper and painting the whole thing if I didn't like the work, but I'm pleased with how it turned out. If it happens again, the said they'll cover it as long as I am within the basic warranty coverage (3 year/36,000 miles). No hassle at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.