Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys

i recently sand and buff my wheel to get them like new ones...

i think i do a good job, there's a lot of work to do that but i'm satisfied of the results;)

i send you a couples of photos before and after :)

before:

after:

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
ok i'll try to explain how to :

first the durabright finish is extremely hard to remove, i try many brand of chemical remover bur they don't work, so:

to remove the durabright i start with a grit of 80, it's rapid and if your wheels have some pitting or rash it will help you to remove them... be careful a 80 grit is very agressive and be gentle with your wheel...

after do the same with the others grit: 80/120/180/220/320/400/500/600/800/1000wather/1500wather and 2000wather when it's done its time to polish your wheel:IMP don't miss a grit grade or you can't remove scratch leave by the precedent grit. Some persons tell you to buff your wheel with a brown and green compound i'll try it but it's not work like i'll try after...

Buy a powercone by mothers and a mini powerball. For the first polish time buy autosol cream and for the finish: mag and wheel polish by mother and for a brillant and mirror result use the billet polish by mothers that's what i do to my wheel and they are not perfect but it's ok for 98% of the jepp owners!!!

Put your powercone on a drill at low speed to do the inner wheel and the mini powerball for the center and branch wheel...use the autosol to do the first polish just to your wheel have a bright finish, remove the residu with a microfiber cloth. Than use the mag and wheel polish to give you a bright polish as often as necessary to give you a mirror polish but you will see a haze finish on the wheel when the wheel are expose to the light.IT'S IMPORTANT to clean the powerball before you're change of polish paste...

There is the final touch to remove the haze on your wheel: use the billet polish with a microfiber cloth and genly polish your wheel the remove the residu and polish with a clean and soft polish clothes...

i hope that will help some of the guys who want to polish the OEM wheels...

N.B each wheel take me 15/20 hrs of work but i'm proud of the job i done !!!!

bye

· Marathon Man
3,229 Posts
Wow, I should of done this instead of getting mine powdercoated.

· Premium Reformed Member
3,494 Posts
Dude! Those are absolutely beautiful! I know how hard it is to polish aluminum start to finish like you did. I can see what my long term project is!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
thanks to all of you guys....

i'm not go to clear them, first the clear peel too easily on a polish wheel, it's the same like you clear a mirror, the clear don't fix like it does on others wheels. the finish we have on our OEM wheel is a durabright not a clear...

second i like the mirror polish finish and a clear will give me a wheel with less finish like i want for my beast...

that's the no hp mods i do for this year lollll

p.s. for maintain it's easy and it took 15 min by wheel when the job is done!

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i'll already try any kind of metal stripper and don't work for me aircraft stripper include.. all don't work, sanding is the best and remove all imperfections you want to remove!!!

what is the brand of metal stripper you use to remove the metal treatment???

thank's

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.