Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the truck dyno tuned, I was made a street tune and a race tune. I have only been to the track once and it was on pump gas and street tune. I just bought c12 racing fuel and am going to install the race tune tonight at the track. My best run on pump gas and street tune was 12.9 @ 105 What kind of numbers should I expect tonight on the race gas and tune?

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
Was the race tune made with C12? I would run the VP MS109 over the C12 personally. A lot of us have had great luck with the MS109 due to the oxygen addition. The gas doesn't add all that much hp. I went from pump gas to VP109 on the dyno and gained 5hp without touching anything. The real gain comes from the tuning changes made with the fuel. The addition of more timing without the worry of getting any STKR.

I'd say you'll run a [email protected].

Reactions: Knuckles

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
C12 IS LEADED RACE GAS. All i can say is GOOD LUCK.
(Typical Values) Specific Gravity: .717 @ 60F

Lead: Yes

Color: Green

Motor Octane: 108

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Whats the DA like? is it the same track?

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
when running vp109 i know u can bump the timing up about 2-4* but does the a/f have to change as well??

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
when running vp109 i know u can bump the timing up about 2-4* but does the a/f have to change as well??
Pure MS109 NOT MS109E , Should handle lots more timing than that , one thing to be careful about , is how lean you'll go once adding the MS109 in there , specially FI Applications .. if you know what you doing you'll be able to take full advantage of it .. Adding gas wont make you faster .. using your head tweaking the tune will ;)

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
We've seen a 7-8rwhp gain from switching from pump gas to MS109 on the dyno. No changes at all, just fuel. The added O2 content of the MS109 will lean out your engine. Usually around 3-4% more WOT fuel will put u back to normal. You kind of have to advance your timing to get the added benefit of running that fuel to make sure all of it is burned. Another added benefit is no STKR. If you do have STKR, then your tune is severely outta whack. I'm not about to tell anyone how much timing to run. That's on you.:D I'm not gonna blow up anyone's engine.:lol:

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Reactions: nyjoed

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Now this is in the 1/8 mile only that i did this on 2 diff outtings. Depending on your tune i picked up .11 & 1.2 mph going from ca 91 + low 1.8% oxy @+1569 ft to a 50/50 mix of vp109 & 91 = 98 oct + 4.2% oxy @ +1587 ft without touching the tune. Now Paulo & Harry are right as if i tweeked the tune i would of maybe picked up another .10 & 2 mph in the 1/8 mile but i dont have a laptop to data log with. Right now my tune has 26 degrees total in it with 91 gas on the dyno.

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
Pure MS109 NOT MS109E , Should handle lots more timing than that , one thing to be careful about , is how lean you'll go once adding the MS109 in there , specially FI Applications .. if you know what you doing you'll be able to take full advantage of it .. Adding gas wont make you faster .. using your head tweaking the tune will ;)
the gas may be able to take the timing but will the engine??

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
We've seen a 7-8rwhp gain from switching from pump gas to MS109 on the dyno. No changes at all, just fuel. The added O2 content of the MS109 will lean out your engine. Usually around 3-4% more WOT fuel will put u back to normal. You kind of have to advance your timing to get the added benefit of running that fuel to make sure all of it is burned. Another added benefit is no STKR. If you do have STKR, then your tune is severely outta whack. I'm not about to tell anyone how much timing to run. That's on you.:D I'm not gonna blow up anyone's engine.:lol:

harry when u say add about 3-4% at wot u mean to keep it around 12.2-12.5 ish

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Once you start seeing ST KNK Means it's time to stop Advancing :D . some motors handles more timing than others is what I've learn .. Also depending on how the knock sensors are set up ..

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
harry when u say add about 3-4% at wot u mean to keep it around 12.2-12.5 ish
That depends where your fuel readings are before the Gas is added , shit if you showed up at the track with 10.8 WOT , MS109 Will put you around 11.4-5 .. It is all up to you where you want you fuel to be at ;)

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
Once you start seeing ST KNK Means it's time to stop Advancing :D . some motors handles more timing than others is what I've learn .. Also depending on how the knock sensors are set up ..

what do u mean how the knk sensors are set up?

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
You can add too much timing and it still won't show any STKR. If you keep adding it and your times fall off..... then you've gone too far. I an throw some C16 in a car and run 30 and probably not see any STKR. It won't run worth a flip bc it's too much.

I said if you add the fuel, it will get you back to where you WERE, not where you'd want to be at. If you get to a track and your AFR's are 10.8, you neither need not to run bc it's hot as balls out or you need a new tuner!

Reactions: BJB

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts

The engine will be fine on race fuel. Thats the point of the race fuel, you can add timing without detonation. As long as your A/F ratio is good, and you dont see any knock in the datalogs, keep bumping the timing up little by little. Eventually, even with the VP109 you will see ST and LT KNK, now back timing away until there is none. It takes time to nail it down.

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
ok i c. ive never propperly ran race fuel that y i ask. im hitting the track this sat and i have a can of vp109 so i wanna put it in about 10 miles before i get ther and then i guess right before my first run ill had maybee 2* of timing and fattin it up 2% then go from there??

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
You can add too much timing and it still won't show any STKR. If you keep adding it and your times fall off..... then you've gone too far. I an throw some C16 in a car and run 30 and probably not see any STKR. It won't run worth a flip bc it's too much.

I said if you add the fuel, it will get you back to where you WERE, not where you'd want to be at. If you get to a track and your AFR's are 10.8, you neither need not to run bc it's hot as balls out or you need a new tuner!

i assume the same would apply for the dyno? power falls off then back off timing?

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
ok i c. ive never propperly ran race fuel that y i ask. im hitting the track this sat and i have a can of vp109 so i wanna put it in about 10 miles before i get ther and then i guess right before my first run ill had maybee 2* of timing and fattin it up 2% then go from there??

Try to get the tank as empty as possible. The full 5 gallons might be too much to start with, try 2-3 gallons to start, add more if you need it. Every gallon weighs 7 lbs.;)
When the truck stinks like race fuel out the tail pipes, you're good to go. You'll notice how much smoother the truck drives once straight VP109 is in.

Start with 4*....seriously 2* is a waste of expensive fuel.

·
Registered
11,237 Posts

ahahahahha

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
So basically everything i told you was pure waist of breath , or you just don't understand jak about this tuning game ... if so why bother with race gas Joe ..

Reactions: Knuckles
1 - 20 of 29 Posts