Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a race to do and am wondering if I mixed the race fuel with 91 dose this will affect anything against my engine
Thanx

· Registered
7,003 Posts
I been doing it all along with a 50/50 mix of unleaded vp109 and 91 but i dont data log either( AND DONT CHANCE MY TUNE BUT IN YOUR CASE YOU MAY NEED TO ADD TIMING AND FUEL). It picked me up in the 1/8 mile a min of .10 to a max of .20. A 50/50 mix of vp109 and 91 will give you 98 octane and the oxygen % will determine what your 91 has. Vp109 has 6.3% oxygen. I have gone to using 91 in our race meets and the cost of vp109 cost me 82.00 for 5 gal pale. I have yet to run all race gas.

· Registered
14,287 Posts
Mixing race fuel and pump gas is no problem....but, if you want to get full potential out of your race fuel I was taught to drain the gas tank of all the pump gas and add 100% race fuel to a dry tank. This is going to give you 100% race fuel instaed of a diluted mix.

It can be drained from the fuel rail and it will pump it out using a "pinch" ....this is done by pulling the fuel pump fuse/relay out of the fuse box and adding the pinch.

Sounds confusing but quite simple.

· Registered
11,229 Posts
Mixing race fuel and pump gas is no problem....but, if you want to get full potential out of your race fuel I was taught to drain the gas tank of all the pump gas and add 100% race fuel to a dry tank. This is going to give you 100% race fuel instaed of a diluted mix.

It can be drained from the fuel rail and it will pump it out using a "pinch" ....this is done by pulling the fuel pump fuse/relay out of the fuse box and adding the pinch.

Sounds confusing but quite simple.
You still owe me that video on How to :)

· Premium Reformed Member
3,494 Posts
^^^ Hell'z yeah! I'd like to see a how to vid on that...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

· Registered
11,229 Posts
Thanks Keoni :)

· Registered
11,229 Posts
That is a No :( , wish i could thou .

· Coksmith&Master-Pintsman
5,153 Posts
The problem with ethanol is chemistry....

Your engine is nothing more than a big chemical reactor. It mixes fuel (gasoline) with air (roughly 21% Oxygen), reacts them into new compounds (mainly CO2, CO, and H2O), and uses the exothermic heat energy released during the reaction to drive the Pistons. Some may call the rapid oxidation of fuel... "Combustion".

So the amount of energy that can be released in a combustion engine is entirely dependent upon WHAT IS BURNING. If we assume that displacement, RPM, and intake pressure (boost/vacuum) are constants, meaning that they don't change for any given apples-to-apples comparison, then the only variable is the fuel composition. For instance, propane burns hotter than natural gas, a Butane lighter burns cooler than both...why? Because the chemical reaction of oxygen breaking down the fuel is what is releasing the energy. When the oxygen combines with the carbon in the fuel, it breaks the covalent bonds of the carbon and hydrogen. The number and and type of covalent bonds broken for each type of fuel determine "how hot" it burns.

Take a shot of 100 proof vodka and light it on fire. Notice you can put your hand over the flame and it likely won't burn you. Now do the same for an ounce of diesel (not recommended). The ethanol in the vodka is a cool flame, very low energy, because the C2-H5-OH composition of ethanol has only a small number of single covalent bonds, and thus less heat is released when it burns. The diesel on the other hand, is a long-chain hydrocarbon with several triple covalent bonds, and releases much more energy per volume.

Bottom line, ethanol has LESS ENERGY in it per ounce than gasoline of any type. You will always get less power from ethanol, worse mileage, and poorer overall performance.

On a side note, Some alcohols have different colligative properties such as resistance to detonation (octane equivalence) which makes them suited for extreme boost applications.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Words like covalent & colligative.....

Makes it easier to hate him, don't it? ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.