Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive reciently got a 2010 gcsrt8 & want 2 upgrade my rotors 2 drilled & slotted..i dont mind spending the extra $$ if its a better product so i just needed some feedback on which of these vendors 2 use & also the pads set-up dont care about dust but which r better for stopping minus squeaking..

· Premium Member
77 Posts
DRT rotors are made from Centric premium grade rotors. Centric are being use by many vendors. If vendor A and vendor B use the same blanks then the bottom line is who can give you the best price. All of the technical data and BS will not make the rotors better between vendor A and vendor B if the 2 vendors uses the same identical blanks. If vendor A and vendor B are using the same blanks the rotors will be the same and performance will not be different. The only way to increase performance or make the rotor better is to cryogenic treat the rotor.

DRT also offer cryogenic treated rotors. We treat our cryogenic rotors in house we have our own cryogenic equipment. Cryogenic rotors are treated after machining and you're welcome to check out the process if you're near by. Some vendor get their cryogenic blank from Stop Tech because they don't have their own equipment. Cryo treat the blank before machining defeat the purpose of cryo treating. It has to be done after machining to release stress.

There are only a few companies that specialize in cryogenic treated rotors. DRT has been cryo treating brake rotors for a few years now.

Company that sell cross drilled rotors does not make their own blanks. Find out which blanks they use and compare the price.

Some vendor offer lifetime warranty. However if vendor A and vendor B use the same blanks but vendor A is $180.00 per pair and vendor B is $360.00 per pair that is not lifetime warranty. That is extended warranty that you're paying for up front.

Find out which blanks you're getting and compare the price. Part # are imprinted on the edge of every rotor.

· Registered
232 Posts
I have the DRT drilled/slotted and stop tech pads. Haven't heard any noise at all from them. The stock pieces howled and screeched constantly. Would not hesitate to order the same stuff again.

· Registered
2,703 Posts
DRT... what is the price on a set of drilled and slotted rotors for the front and rear?

· Premium Member
17,169 Posts
I'm about to throw on my second set of R1's. I've got 49,XXXK on them with Hawk Pads and the front left just started squeeling a touch. I've had fantastic luck with my R1's. I don't know HOW many 1/4 runs I've got on these things but a ton. Good luck with you decision.

· Premium Member
429 Posts
I thought I'd leave this thread to the members who bought from vendors in this forum but I guess I am alone on that one. So let me chime in for a bit...

Here at R1 Concepts, we have been a member of this forum community since 2007 and joined the BBB Better Business Bureau since 2005. Try Google Mapping us, guarantee you won't end up at a street corner... One of the first to offer a aftermarket rotor to the SRT8 community, and the first to offer the Stoptech Street Pads which has become widely popular among the SRT8's.

We don't go around letting people know how much we are "the same" or "like" another company to try to get some kind of leverage or positive feedback about our company. We differentiate ourselves from others by our Service, our Workmanship, and our Warranty to stand by our customers after the sale. We also do NOT "high jack" any member's thread or sneak in negative "jabs" here and there. We find that cheesy and a disrespect towards the topic or other mutual vendors in the same forum community.

Hardly any brake company that sells to the public actually "makes their own rotors". We all have other(s) manufactured companies that only distribute (and sometimes exclusively), make the casting. Centric does not make rotor castings. The impact that Centric has on the brake rotor industry is their buy-in power (most East Coast based companies purchase from West Coast distributors) and their innovative part number system. Early before, rotor companies would use a part of the OEM part numbers to categorize rotors until when there was aimco universal part number system which was widely used. Everybody uses these numbers to categorize brake rotor castings until when Centric came out with their own system. Mostly everyone is now switching over to Centric System because it is easier to use (each number and position has a meaning to what vehicle the rotors belong to.. for warehouse purposes). Even Brembo has Centric part numbers as a reference on their rotor boxes...

Also for your information... it only cost 8 cents per rotor to scrape any part numbers off any side of the rotor and 5 cents to engrave another on, so... don't believe the hype.

Not sure about everyone but when I purchase products (especially car parts). I mainly look for four main principles which is; Price, Product-Company Feedback (Service), Workmanship, and Warranty. Here at R1 Concepts, we do offer a big member discount from our web retail pricing to help support the Cherokee SRT8 forum community (just pm me for member pricing). I am also here for most of the day to answer any questions or provide any technical info for the forum (Service).

Don't get me wrong, there are many brake rotors out there who have similar qualities or of "like". However, more into consideration if they are blank rotors, then you would look at pricing and warranty. But when it comes down to the machining work that is done to the rotors (Workmanship), trust me it does matter. Here at R1, We drill our High Carbon Premium rotors in house using state-of-the-art CNC machines and follow strict procedures and standards such as drilling between each vane structure. This will allow the rotor to retain its structural integrity and overall strength with optimum thermal transfers. We utilize smaller diameter drill bits to create smaller diameter holes than most companies and each hole is counter-sink to add strength and lessen the chance of stress cracks. You also have the option to go with slotted only or even a custom design with your own logo. Every R1 rotor that comes with slots will come with our exclusive "Diamond Slot design" (45 degree angle end points), to help release trapped debris (very popular design, so this is why you tend to see these slots from others now).

We also offer Cryo Treatment for those who would like the extra strength. Of course we Cryo Treat the rotor AFTER all the machining work is done, not sure who doesn't... I find that archaic if you don't. Why would anyone plan to drill their rotors after the Cryo Treatment, this will weaken the strength of the Cryo Process and ruin the drill bit... common sense.

In this day and age, warranty means a lot. We stand by our work 100%, this is why we do offer a One Year Warranty on Warping and a Three Year Warranty on Cracking (within the minimum thickness). Even at the discounted price, you are still getting the full warranty. You make the decision, and if it's not R1 that you choose, its all gravy, all the power to you buddy. I am still here to help, not going anywhere.

That's the difference...

Thank you,
Steven

(Famous Quote: Do Not Attempt to Wake the Sleeping Giant)

· Registered
1,847 Posts
I'm on my second vehicle with R1 brakes on it. For the price, they are top quality and everything I could ask for. Not to mention, my custom rotors are a-frikin-mazing on my 2009 SRT8. Plus, Steve is so easy to get a hold of. Awesome customer service. I'll never look anywhere else.

· Registered
2014 Jeep SRT
639 Posts
I'd have to agree on the above statement, these R1 rotors are pretty awesome...I will be upgrading to the stop tech front pads soon as well. But I have the premium drilled and slotted, just amazing. and R1 customer support is great, answered every annoying question I had before and after purchase. Every time I get my rig in the air, i still see full slots debris-free and no warping, and I am a last minute "braker" cold or hot weather..and still no issues. The decision is up to you broham, hope you like whatever you get.

Reactions: r1concepts

· Registered
532 Posts
I've only run the R1's so I can't compare, but I love the R1s. Great quality, great service, great price.

· Premium Member
77 Posts
If educating the customer about brake rotor consider hi-jacking we deeply apologize.

Competition is good for both the consumers and the manufactures. It ensures that the consumers are getting quality product without over paying and the manufacture to produce quality products.

A little history about DRT. The current owner of DRT used to own Raceconepts in Santa Ana California. Raceconepts specialize in cross drilled/slotted rotors for many vendors. R1 was a customer of Raceconcepts. The owner of Raceconepts moved to the East Coast and sold the business to two owners that are cousins. Raceconepts trained the 2 cousins before the transaction is finalized to ensure smooth transition. DRT like to think that we know a little bit about the business.

DRT like to educate our customers about the products we sell. Directly or indirectly we are all consumers of every products we buy everyday. There are many brake rotors on the market today and it is confusing on how to pick the best rotor for the best price. Many of the rotors are either made by a manufacture or it is being repackaged under a different label.

Is it wrong to educate the customer?

We are simply just pointing out that the blank rotor DRT use as the raw materials are from Centric premium grade. Centric is a major brand in the brake business, their rotors are being use by many third party companies that specialize in cross drilled/slotted rotors. Since the companies that sell cross drilled/slotted rotors does not produce their own blanks it only make sense as a customer to make sure you're getting quality products.

If company A price is $160.00 per pair and company B is $320.00 per pair and both raw materials are from the same manufacture there for the quality of the rotors are the same.
Paying more does not guarantee that you are getting a better product. The only way to make that rotor better is to physically change the micro-structure of the rotor. That is done by deep freezing called cryogenic.

With the current economy and the raising fuel price DRT understand that it is hard to maintain the vehicle you drive to get to work. It's bad enough that we don't have a choice for high fuel price. DRT is not here to step on any toes, we're here give the customer a choice. At the same time we'd like to educate the customer about the cross drilled rotor business.

If you are happy and enjoy over paying for brake components more power to you. If you want to pay less for high quality products we're here to help.

When you purchase premium grade rotors from DRT it will have Centric brand imprinted on the edge of the rotor as well as the part #.

Thank you for your support and happy motoring.

· Registered
3,651 Posts
Very happy with my R1's so far. They look great as well....I think you can check out my avatar to see what I'm running on my rig.
I haven't had a set of DRT rotors, so I can't speak to them, but I do know that Steven was great when I ordered my rotors as I had a million questions and called him several times. His customer service was excellent and someone I would definitely call to buy again....and that's all I have to say about that.

· Registered
3,771 Posts
I have R1 rotors and haven't had any issues with them. I don't have a problem trying out DRT rotors when it's time to change them.
The number one thing I look for when buying anything is Price and customer satisfaction.

· Registered
1,603 Posts
I have R1 on the front of me Jeep and I have no complaints. Steve is a great guy to talk to. Never had DRT so I can't compare.

· Registered
35 Posts
I just got my DRT rotors put on with stoptech pads. Not going to hear any complaints from me (or hear my brakes squeaking anymore). I decided to go with them since they are local to where I live.

I think the one thing we can all agree on is R1 vs. DRT, you will be happy either way. Especially if you are coming off the stock setup.

· Registered
3,880 Posts
I have to tell you R1 has the most outstanding service you can imagine. For instance....I had come across some trouble with my rotors, and R1 (Steven) Went above and beyond to do things to help me out. Customer service that will have my business until cars stop using brakes.

· Registered
2,703 Posts
I purchased a set of drilled and slotted DRT rotors. Stay tuned for a review and thread with pictures of the install!

· Registered
5,005 Posts
Ehh probably not the best place for this, kinda off topic, sorry, but since both vendors are in here along with customers anyone know the weights of the R1 vs DRT vs stock for rotatong mass??

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.