Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, the Jeep was in dire need of new brakes. Just bought it 2 weeks ago and the previous owner had left the stock rotors on for all 78k miles. I went with R1 OEQ stock replacement rotors, zinc-coated, and Stoptech street/track pads. Ordered up a G2 caliper paint kit to repaint the Brembos since the paint and decals had all put peeled off some of the calipers. Squigman hooked me up with some new red Brembo stickers.

Decided to Plastidip the wheels for the winter up here in Buffalo. The stockers are a little beat up, but I wanted to save them from any more abuse and I will probably have them refinished next summer and either black-chromed or painted gunmetal. I had leftover plastidip, so I taped off all the trim and de-chromed everything but the two Jeep emblems.

Since I know everyone on here are picture whores...enjoy!

Here's the truck before:

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
Looks really nice. how long did the whole process take?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Installing the new brakes took a couple hours on Friday night, never done Brembos before, but much easier to do than other cars. I took my time and used the instructions from R1's website (which are borrowed from a 300 SRT8 how-to--same steps as our brakes).

Took me about 2 hours to prep and paint the Brembos. I taped them off, used 00 Steel wool, 320 grit sand paper and the G2 caliper cleaner, did three passes of sanding. Two coats of paint. Per the instructions, the G2 paint did bubble on the 1st coat, but the 2nd coat helped smooth it out. I'm very impressed with the product and there was enough paint to even do a 3rd coat if I had wanted to. The G2 instructions say to give the paint 24 hours to harden. So I bedded the brakes right around 24 hrs on the dot and the caliper paint and decals held up just fine to the heat.

The Plastidip took about 4 hours Saturday. Each wheel got about 4-5 coats on the back and 6 coats on the front, plus touchups after. The trim was done in-between coats on the wheels to give the wheels time to dry, be careful and make sure to tape good, but not on the trim itself. Had to do do a lot of touch up because some of the Plastidip peeled off the chrome trim when I took the tape off. I let it all sit until Sunday morning and put the wheels back on. I painted the tailgate chrome piece including the sensors and the sensors still work without fail.

·
Registered
418 Posts
my front rotors are shot and my brakes feel very soft, i though i had air in the system, bled them over the weekend but still soft. I know the rears were replaced last year from the original owner, but i noticed the front rotors are horrible...what tool did you use to spread the caliper pistons..btw brake fluid is what gets the calipers to peel, so make sure you spray them right away with brake cleaner and wipe them

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
665 Posts
my front rotors are shot and my brakes feel very soft, i though i had air in the system, bled them over the weekend but still soft. I know the rears were replaced last year from the original owner, but i noticed the front rotors are horrible...what tool did you use to spread the caliper pistons..btw brake fluid is what gets the calipers to peel, so make sure you spray them right away with brake cleaner and wipe them
I bought this tool for my Vette got sick of fighting with it . Works great it's Overkill but I like tools around $200 but looks great hanging on the shop wall .

·
Registered
418 Posts
I am a little confused with these two steps in bold...from looking at your pics I dont see any markings..and the o-ring whats that all about? If i am putting new rotors i dont need to mark anything correct?

NOTE: Front rotors and hub/bearings are matched mounted for minimum lateral runout. Before removing the rotor, mark the rotor and hub/bearing to maintain original orientation.
1. Raise and support the vehicle.
2. Remove wheel and tire assembly.
3. Remove the caliper mounting bolts (4) and remove the caliper (1) from the steering knuckle.
4. Secure caliper anchor assembly to nearby suspension part with a wire. Do not allow brake hose to support caliper weight.
5. Remove and discard the o-ring (2) securing the disc brake rotor (1) on the hub.
6. Remove the disc brake rotor (1) from hub/bearing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
To tell you the truth, I only used the rotor thread for the diagrams of where the bolts were. I didn't mark anything and the o-ring is not present in the pictures because all the pictures are AFTER I replaced the rotors/pads. The o-ring does not need to be reused as it is only on there from the factory to keep the rotors in place as the vehicle moves down the line. You'll notice the o-ring will be pretty beat up and there is really no way to get it off, but to just take a flathead screwdriver and basically cut it off.

·
Registered
965 Posts
amazing! looks great

Reactions: Montag84

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I had taken my wheels off for the first time, only 3 had the o-ring on them. Go figure. Didn't understand the requirement for it. Not too concerned.
Same here. erald01 don't psych yourself out. Its really not that difficult to do the brakes yourself.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Same here. erald01 don't psych yourself out. Its really not that difficult to do the brakes yourself.
hahaha i am not, have done 1000s of them, just reading some of this steps and they are horrible in describing them lol

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hahaha i am not, have done 1000s of them, just reading some of this steps and they are horrible in describing them lol
haha ok good. agreed, i just wanted the diagram b/c it was my first time working on brembos, but I woulda figured it out w/out the diagram. Let me know how your brake upgrade comes along. It was such a pain limping the Jeep around for the last two weeks. Now having proper stopping power is amazing. Like a whole new vehicle.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Anti-rattle clip also missing

When I had taken my wheels off for the first time, only 3 had the o-ring on them. Go figure. Didn't understand the requirement for it. Not too concerned.
Just did R1's and Stoptech pads as well. After 32,000 miles, the front rotors didn't look good.
Anyway, the rear driver side anti rattle clip was missing (the metal clip over the pads). Drove around 5+ years without, but had to get a new one just knowing it was not there! My wife looked up recalls and apparently there were some recalls on some clips not being installed at the factory (I think 2010's). Guessing my '07 had the same guy forgetting to install it or they were short on clips? I was able to save the O-rings using two small flat head screwdrivers. I put 'em back on for the hell of it. Probably wouldn't have after reading here why they are on there.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just did R1's and Stoptech pads as well. After 32,000 miles, the front rotors didn't look good.
Anyway, the rear driver side anti rattle clip was missing (the metal clip over the pads). Drove around 5+ years without, but had to get a new one just knowing it was not there! My wife looked up recalls and apparently there were some recalls on some clips not being installed at the factory (I think 2010's). Guessing my '07 had the same guy forgetting to install it or they were short on clips? I was able to save the O-rings using two small flat head screwdrivers. I put 'em back on for the hell of it. Probably wouldn't have after reading here why they are on there.
The o-rings for me were pretty much beyond saving. That's shitty about the metal clip being missing. Not having the clip didnt cause ne noises or anything? I had all my clips thank god.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The o-rings for me were pretty much beyond saving. That's shitty about the metal clip being missing. Not having the clip didnt cause ne noises or anything? I had all my clips thank god.
No issues that I could tell. The pads are nestled in there pretty solidly with just the pins. I had the typical squeaky brakes for 5 years, but that seems to be something just about everyone hears on stock brakes. So far after a couple of weeks, not ONE squeak. Very nice!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No issues that I could tell. The pads are nestled in there pretty solidly with just the pins. I had the typical squeaky brakes for 5 years, but that seems to be something just about everyone hears on stock brakes. So far after a couple of weeks, not ONE squeak. Very nice!
Yessir, no squeaks for me either. When I first moved it this morning, got a lil "groan," but its was super cold and we had frost so blaming it on that. On a side note, just caught your signature your pushing some impressive power through that beast!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts