Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I am contemplating picking up a low mile 2018-2020 SRT but I had some questions that i'd love your help with.

1. For the guys that run a winter rim/tire combo how have your SRT's done in all different types of winter conditions? Deep snow? Light snow? Icey conditions on the road?

2. My main concern is I am NOT an off roader but I do live in an area where sometimes we see pretty bad flooded roads or unplowed roads and there has even been times where I have had to do some light off-roading. Nothing crazy just up a large curb or hill to get around objects. All this lead me to believe I would probably be better off in a trailhawk with the 5.7 since it has the air suspension/low gear/ and more ground clearance. However I just keep coming back to the fact that I simply want the SRT more and it would be a lot more special to me lol

Anyway I guess I am just looking to see from the owners that daily it if they can tell me beides being fun and fast how capable and reliable are they?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi in regards to #1 I have driven on three sets of snow tires in multiple states in multiple conditions. A LOT depends on the tires. I am pleasantly surprised on my current cheapy snow tires but unknowingly they also were the top rated consumer reports sport snow tires so I think I got lucky on sale this time. I have also had Pirelli Snows and Blizzaks in a slightly different size. In snow deeper then 8-9 inches it tends to high center in places with drifts but thats to be expected. In icy places you want to get studded if they are allowed where you are (not all places). It drives great in light snow or mixed conditions but like anything else will slide if you hit ice (its a physics thing). Its one of the best vehicles I have driven in the snow so long as its not over 8 inches. If you are going up some relatively steep dirt roads the breaking system will likely kick in a bit as some wheels slip and others grab but it makes it up most inclines (I have never had to back down and some of the dirt roads out here are very steep). Snow tires of all types have made huge difference and are way better then even good all seasons in my experience. Have driven in deep snow in UP Michigan, now in Alaska, and NY/NH/VT area. I do like the vredsteins I ended up with except on ice but I dont think anything without studs would work well on some of the places I was driving. Figure out how deep your snow is going to get is my advice. Also if you are doing a fair amount of rough trails you want something more trailhawk like, you can do plenty of dirt roads that are well maintained but dont go off the beaten path with this. I think of mine as a quick AWD luxury wagon with good utility and ample ground clearance for normal snow but defiantly not for off road or rough trails of any type or deep snow. There are other grand Cherokees and jeeps for that job.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts