Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to pull the trigger on a set of Proxes STII's. I know most guys are moving to the 275/40 F, 315/35 R setup. Personally, I dont want to go that wide and dont like that the sidewall height is actually less than stock. Especially since I am not dropped.

I am looking at a 265/45 F, 295/40 R setup. This will be wider than stock but also have a slightly taller sidewall, which I prefer.

My question though is on the load ratings. Here are the specs as per Toyo's website:

265/45R20 108V XL

295/40R20 106V

I noticed that the 295's are not XL rated. Is this absolutely necessary? My understanding is that the 106 is the load rating, and in this case means that each tire can support 2094lbs, more than enough for this SUV.

So what about the XL? From what I have read, it is related to the maximum psi that the tire can be inflated to to handle that max load. I think XL means it can handle the max load up to 41psi, whereas a standard tire can handle the load up to a lower pressure of 35psi.

Does anyone know if I am understanding this correctly? And if so, then it would seem an XL rating is not needed for the 295/40 because there would be no need to inflate the tires above 35psi.

Any input is appreciated!!!

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
You will be fine Harrison went thru a set (265/295 setup) with no issues and I currently have the 275/ 315 setup and my is fine as well....

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You will be fine Harrison went thru a set (265/295 setup) with no issues and I currently have the 275/ 315 setup and my is fine as well....
Thats what I run or did run. 50k miles no problem
good to hear, thanks fellas. either of you try the toyos through snow?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I've heard and read mixed reviews. IMO, they aren't the best all season in the snow. Garbage compared to any type of winter dedicated tire. That bein said, I'm probably gonna run them this winter. Sold my winters unfortunetly. Adjust your driving and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have been running this 265/295 setup for about 10,000 miles. I am curious as to how they will handle in the snow because the Goodyears seem to have better traction on wet pavement.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good input, thanks guys. still deciding whether i should just get a separate winter set, or try to find a good all season. maybe continental extreme dws?

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
good to hear, thanks fellas. either of you try the toyos through snow?
I drove my Jeep in a few inches of Snow and I was not confident with them. I felt like I had to Tippy toe around that snowas my Jeep was all over the place. If you want a set of tire for strictly snow then I would invest in a set of Blizzaks...

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
I think the proxes are to hard for snow. I felt more confident with the goodyears in water as well but am happy with the toyos my vote is for a seperate winter set as well.
Yeah I am all over the road even in the rain with these Toyo Proxe STII's, so I have to be cautious when driving with these tires.....

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Yeah I am all over the road even in the rain with these Toyo Proxe STII's, so I have to be cautious when driving with these tires.....
I actually bought them to avoid that since we do get some snow but got what I didnt want hahahawas gonna wait for th invos or vreds to not be on backorder but had to much inner tire wear to wait... if your gonna get a set of winter tires also though check out the vreds or the invos for summertime just another option

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
I actually bought them to avoid that since we do get some snow but got what I didnt want hahahawas gonna wait for th invos or vreds to not be on backorder but had to much inner tire wear to wait... if your gonna get a set of winter tires also though check out the vreds or the invos for summertime just another option
Yeah will be buying a set of Vreds for my Rig next as they ride so smooth on our Rigs....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Happy with Toyo 295-265 combo.

I concur that from a dead stop to a wot in the rain that the Proxes ST11 are not quite as good as the Goodyears. I live on the wet coast of Canada where it is wet from the end of Sept. to April ,and I mean wet!!!, and find the Toyos at speed to be superior in the wet to the Goodyears. They are excellant at wicking the water out at freeway speed as witnessed by the two dry streaks you will notice out your back window.
These are my second set of Proxes, my first were the ultra high perfromance Proxes 4,( on another vehicle) and they are so much better in ride and quality than the Goodyears they can just not be compared. In the wet sloppy snow we get here I give them a slight edge over the Goodyears. They are M&S rated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts