Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Detroit Wheel and Tire is offering an exchange program for your Jeep SRT wheels!

It's very simple: We send you a brand new set of wheels with our PVD Chrome or Black Chrome finish, and you send us back your old wheels. A refundable core deposit is required for all sets, which you will get back when we receive your wheels, free of any major damage.

Shipping labels are included with the new wheels, and you use the boxes you receive in the mail to send them back. We try to make the process as simple and easy as possible.

Prices for SRT8 wheels start at $795. Mention the CherkoeeSRT8 forum and receive 10% OFF any exchange!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Is this available for older WK1 SRT-8 wheels?

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Can I just send mine in with no core charge? I run a winter summer set up. Are these factory or repos?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can I just send mine in with no core charge? I run a winter summer set up. Are these factory or repos?
Yes, you can send your wheels in to be coated, you would just be responsible for shipping both ways. They are factory OEM wheels; the same wheels that come on your vehicle from the dealer.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Yes they are OEM. Just powder coated to gun metal grey.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Absolutely. We offer the exchange and outright purchase programs for any Jeep or Jeep SRT8 vehicle.
Couple more questions, and then I am on board.

1. Is this a time-constrained offer? The vehicle in question wont be on the schedule until early Fall.

2. What are the restrictions on wheel condition for core exchange? The wheels on this vehicle have a few spots of clear-coat lifting, but I dont think they have any curb rash if memory serves.

3. What do you pay for core wheels as you alluded to in your previous post? I have a spare WK1 Rear that has lifting clear in the center, but otherwise fine.

[All questions are for WK1 wheels]

·
Snail On Board
4,366 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok guys, I'm going to try to answer everyone's questions here in one post. Please let me know if I forgot any part to any question!

Yes they are OEM. Just powder coated to gun metal grey.
No up-charge if your trade in wheels are powder coated, as long as they are the same style wheel that you will be getting in PVD finish.

Couple more questions, and then I am on board.

1. Is this a time-constrained offer? The vehicle in question wont be on the schedule until early Fall.

2. What are the restrictions on wheel condition for core exchange? The wheels on this vehicle have a few spots of clear-coat lifting, but I dont think they have any curb rash if memory serves.

3. What do you pay for core wheels as you alluded to in your previous post? I have a spare WK1 Rear that has lifting clear in the center, but otherwise fine.

[All questions are for WK1 wheels]
1. At this time it is not time constrained. We are offering this special until further notice.

2. Missing or damaged clear coat is fine -- curb rash, bends, deep scratches are what will get your deposit knocked down a bit. We are looking for mint or near mint condition wheels for trade ins. If you would run them on your car without being annoyed, we will take them.

3. It all depends on the specific wheel and the condition of that wheel for us to be interested in purchasing it from you, especially if it has cosmetic flaws. Being that it's an SRT wheel, the value will be higher than a normal wheel.

Winona G-Chrome or another process?
Yes, that is one of the suppliers that we use.

Do you have 22 inch oem style rims,or viper repos in 22
We only deal with factory OEM wheels. They provide the best fitment and ride quality since they were specifically designed for the vehicle they came on from the factory.

·
Registered
315 Posts
What is the total initial charge including the core charge.
If I send you pics of my rims can you offer a pretty close estimate on what you will pay for them? In other words will I know up front what this will cost or do I have to wait until you recieve my rims to inspect, then let me know how much of my core charge I will be getting back? For WK1 rims.
Thanks!

·
JEEP SRT since 2006
1,296 Posts
I've been inactively looking for this for the 3.5 years since getting my '12, seems like a perfect option vs. the zero I've found since then.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We have all styles of SRT8 wheels in Black Chrome in stock and ready to be shipped.

If you'd like more information or would like to speak to me directly, give me a call at 248-556-4085. Mention the forums and your username as well.

·
Registered
178 Posts
2. Missing or damaged clear coat is fine -- curb rash, bends, deep scratches are what will get your deposit knocked down a bit. We are looking for mint or near mint condition wheels for trade ins. If you would run them on your car without being annoyed, we will take them.

3. It all depends on the specific wheel and the condition of that wheel for us to be interested in purchasing it from you, especially if it has cosmetic flaws. Being that it's an SRT wheel, the value will be higher than a normal wheel.
Thank you for answering thus far.

Can you give any better examples of your pricing structure, charges, etc?

Basically, what is the TOTAL up front charge including the core, and what is your deduction schedule based on light damage? What is the trade value of a WK1 wheel that you would consider acceptable?

What I am trying to avoid, is sending these wheels in, and then suddenly the core charge is a thousand dollars light, and I get an offer of $100 bucks for a good wheel. The problem is that due to the sales structure, you have the money up front, and we have a set of new wheels which are INSTALLED before we can get a core value. In other words, you have our money, and there is no way to return the wheels purchased if the core charge return is deemed unacceptable. The risk is completely on the side of the buyer unless putting the truck on blocks for a couple weeks while sending wheels back and forth, and not mounting anything until the refund is issued.

I understand you cannot give exact answers, but some information would be helpful. Clear coat lifting is fairly standard, figure 5% of the wheel surface or less, and it usually includes light corrosion underneath where the aluminum was exposed... pretty common for 06-08 SRT wheels with the old style clear.

I am certainly being excessively cautious, but with fifteen years of being in the automotive and motorsports industry, I have learned that in nearly all cases, those who end up with issues are generally the ones who did not do their due diligence up front to avoid, or at least know what the outcome may be.

Reactions: MattSRT

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you for answering thus far.

Can you give any better examples of your pricing structure, charges, etc?

Basically, what is the TOTAL up front charge including the core, and what is your deduction schedule based on light damage? What is the trade value of a WK1 wheel that you would consider acceptable?

What I am trying to avoid, is sending these wheels in, and then suddenly the core charge is a thousand dollars light, and I get an offer of $100 bucks for a good wheel. The problem is that due to the sales structure, you have the money up front, and we have a set of new wheels which are INSTALLED before we can get a core value. In other words, you have our money, and there is no way to return the wheels purchased if the core charge return is deemed unacceptable. The risk is completely on the side of the buyer unless putting the truck on blocks for a couple weeks while sending wheels back and forth, and not mounting anything until the refund is issued.

I understand you cannot give exact answers, but some information would be helpful. Clear coat lifting is fairly standard, figure 5% of the wheel surface or less, and it usually includes light corrosion underneath where the aluminum was exposed... pretty common for 06-08 SRT wheels with the old style clear.
Total up front charge for SRT wheels is going to be either $2165 or $2255, depending on wheel model.

Here's the breakdown for each:

$795 (exchange price) - 10% forum discount = $715
Shipping charges to get the new wheels to you and old wheels back to us - $250
Core Deposit - $1200

Total: $2165

$895 (exchange price) - 10% forum discount = $805
Shipping charges to get the new wheels to you and old wheels back to us - $250
Core Deposit - $1200

Total: $2255

We are aware that clearcoat lifting is a fairly common occurrence for older wheels, that is why there are no deductions made for this issue. Light curb damage is $50 per wheel, and backside bends are $75 per wheel. We don't allow any front side bends, as these compromise the structural integrity of the wheel and will more than likely turn the wheel into scrap.

Exchanges really are case-by-case, as every set of wheels is going to have different blemishes or minor damage.

The best thing to do is to send over a picture of the wheel if you think that you might be charged for damage.

We aren't picky, but we have to make sure what we are getting back is in good, usable condition because the wheels receive are going to be send out to get coated again.

Hopefully this clears things up for everyone and makes their decision a little easier.

It really is a great deal guys, one of the cheapest routes you will find to get a set of brand new coated, professionally reconditioned wheels.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts