Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Purchased the wrong 8.4" Uconnect screen 2019 Jeep SRT

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  schreibdave15 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, I finally saved some money to buy a new touch screen since mines is bubbling and kind of bothering me. I didn't want to bother just taking off the digitizer, so I wanted an easy plug and play solution, And I thought I was getting the correct one since they claim years 2017-2022, But the one I purchased has 1 electric film connector and mines has 3! I guess I should have checked but if anyone looks into buying one, I suggest taking your out and see if it's a 1 or 3 electric film connector!

Here is the link to the one I purchased,

2017-2022 8.4" Uconnect 4C UAQ LCD Display Monitor Touch Screen Radio Navigation | eBay

I thought this one would be the correct one with 3 electric strips but they don't look like they are the same size! If anyone knows where to find the correct one lmk please.

Uconnect 3C 8.4A VP3 & 8.4AN VP4 Replacement TOUCH-SCREEN GLASS DIGITIZER & LCD | eBay

I kind of knew something was up when I pulled off my radio from the dash, in the videos online they remove the face with vents held in by clips then remove the unit from inside the dash, well mines came out all in one piece!

One option i have is to send it in for repair,

Repair Service - FCA Uconnect 4C 8.4-inch Touchscreen Display Screen - Infotainment.com

Hood Motor vehicle Light Automotive lighting Automotive design
Vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Auto part Machine
Bumper Trunk Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Here is the new screen I purchased compared to mine,

Circuit component Passive circuit component Electronic component Computer hardware Electronic engineering
Circuit component Passive circuit component Electronic component Electronic engineering Hardware programmer

See less See more
#9 ·
Yes exactly! I knew there had to of been an update on this design. I wish I could find a source to buy a new screen at a reasonable price as all the ones I see don't look like they would match even the one with 3 strips like this one, I compared the strips, and they still don't look like the ones on mines! But at least I still have the option to ship it to the company that repairs them, But it's still around $400-$450. :(

Uconnect 3C 8.4A VP3 & 8.4AN VP4 Replacement TOUCH-SCREEN GLASS DIGITIZER & LCD | eBay

#16 ·
I know this is an old post but I will add to it anyway. I tried the MHF Tesla Style screen on my son's 2013 in January. It was something of a nightmare. I got it installed despite their instructions and technical support being dismal, and it didn't work. It powered up but no audio and no connection to the phone, either bluetooth or wired.

The only way to contact MHF is by email or by chat through their website. No phone number. I contacted them and they put me in touch with the manufacturer who I am pretty sure was in China. We communicated only by WhatsApp and sometimes by email. Their replies only came in the middle of the night. And they were not at all helpful. After about 2 weeks of that I brought the car to a local aftermarket audio shop and asked them if they could make it work and their answer was that they would charge their hourly rate ($100 I think?) but that in their experience there was only a 50/50 chance that they could make it work.

So I removed it and put the original back in.

I asked MHF for a refund and they sent me the return label. Their website said that I would pay a 20% restocking fee (this unit was almost $1000). They declined to answer my emails asking if I would have to pay the restocking fee since I couldn't get the thing to work. When they stopped responding my wife disputed the charge on our credit card which I think means that they would have to work and jump through hoops in order to get paid. They ultimately did refund me the full purchase price.

Besides not working, the unit was not an exact fit in this car. It came with a 1/4" thick and 8" long piece of trim that was supposed to fill the gap left at the bottom of the unit where it meets the shift console. Upon inserting that piece it immediately fell behind the unit, not to be found again until I removed the entire thing.

In my last communication with MHF I told them that they had a pretty good reputation for their lighting products but that this radio was not ready for prime time and that they really should drop it. The guy said that customers have been happy with i. Which is hard to believe. I put a similar product into a BMW and the video instructions were so good that any idiot could have installed it. On this thing, the video instructions included the installer saying "this isn't right. It must have been assembled on a Friday, Ha Ha. Yours shouldn't come like this." That was in the instruction video provided by MHF.

We ultimately brought the car back to that original audio place and they installed a new unit that works perfectly. Should have done that from the start.
Motor vehicle Car Hood Automotive design Steering part
Mobile phone Telephony Portable communications device Mobile device Communication Device
Electrical wiring Cable Engineering Electrical supply Machine
Car Automotive design Vehicle Automotive lighting Speedometer