Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently picked up an 06 Jeep SRT8 and the head unit is just not satisfying me...to plain, can't watch DVD, and not touch screen are my biggest issues. I was just wondering if you guys could chime in on the pros and cons of getting an aftermarket double din head unit..I have some hook ups and can get really good discounts on pioneer head units. I was thinking either the z3 or the new AVIC-F900B. I also so some people sticking in the 08 mygigs in the 06's but that looks like more hassle than what its worth. Most people do not like the reliability of them anyways. Anyways I guess here are my main questions...

Can all of the stock buttons like the UCONNECT, Steering wheel Volume adjusters be set up to work with an aftermarket system?

Would the people on the forums doing something aftermarket or trying to incorporate an 08 mygig in the system?

Will Stock Speakers hook up to and aftermarket head unit or do they need to be ran through a multi-channel amp?

Also if anyone has pictures of an aftermarket double din unit in an SRT8, if they could throw up some pictures to give me some ideas, that would be awesome. Thanks for the Help

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Your stock buttons def will NOT work with aftermarket systems.....MAYBE the MyGIG

MyGIG would be my choice...i phuckin LOVE that thing!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Be sure to check out avic411 dot com. It is a site dedicated to pioneer head units and you'll find lots of people who have integrated them with our radios. If you expand your search to include the 300c / Magnum / Charger which all use this same REC Nav unit, you'll see lots of advice / examples. You would need to use a wiring harness like the C2R-CHY to replace the stock unit but keep connectivity with the factory wiring harness. Then you add the SWi-CAN2 for steering wheel control integration and then the SWI-PS for the pioneer units. You'll also need a dash kit. It's ~$250 for the dash kit and those harnesses. I do not believe that you can use the uconnect with an aftermarket deck but it will probably have bluetooth anyway.

If you want to keep the stock system, I personally use the PAC Audio C2A-CHY harness. It is a harness that goes between the factory wiring and the factory radio for the purpose of adding amps. It gives you 2 sets of RCA outs for your amps with up to a 5v output. I think it sounds great and goes for about $80 on-line. Many local audio shops use their stuff too. Please note that the part number changes for the 2008 and up models. I think there is an app guide on their site.

I am also currently using their AAI-CHY which gives you two sets of rca ins (aux inputs to the factory headunit). This works by emulating the VES (default) or satellite. Since I don't have the Video system, I just hit mode on my REC unit until it gets to VES then anything that I have playing through those rca ins plays over my factory system. My ipod sounds great but I don't mind controlling it myself.

Note that the C2A-CHY must be plugged into the factory radio first. Little known fact that caused a lot of grief on the 300c forums. I was a 300c owner before the Jeep.

·
Premium Member
4,076 Posts
Your stock buttons def will NOT work with aftermarket systems.....MAYBE the MyGIG

MyGIG would be my choice...i phuckin LOVE that thing!

ima have to disagree with P on this one, as i have the Avic Z2 and my factory controls do work thanks to hooking up the proper CAN bus connectors to the Avic Z2. i have full use of my steering wheel switches and all other functionality of the factory setup + much more. as for hooking up the factory speaker to and aftermarket unit, i'd say there will be no issues here either...if you are however using and aftermarket amp then make sure the load on the amp matches the speaker impeadence...standard aftermarket door speakers generally are rated at 4 ohms...not sure bout the factory bostons...most amps for mids/hi's will be able to go into a 4 ohm config...lemme know if you need any more help. ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
The biggest problem with going with an aftermarket radio is you are essentially advertising to anyone that wants to look in your ride that you have some "junk in the trunk". Your just setting yourself up to be more targetable.

I personally am keeping the stock unit, there is nothing wrong with it. I can get the signal output cleaned up via an aftermarket processor (JL CleanSweep, RF 360.2, AudioControl products) and hide all of the other goodies and still retain the "stock" look.

My rig is actually getting my sub installed as I type this, that is the only thing that will not look stock in my system. My box will be downfiring though so I am not advertising "Hey look at me! I have a nice big 12" sub in here!". I plan on ordering the cargo cover and calling it good, still quite stealthy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The biggest problem with going with an aftermarket radio is you are essentially advertising to anyone that wants to look in your ride that you have some "junk in the trunk". Your just setting yourself up to be more targetable.

I personally am keeping the stock unit, there is nothing wrong with it. I can get the signal output cleaned up via an aftermarket processor (JL CleanSweep, RF 360.2, AudioControl products) and hide all of the other goodies and still retain the "stock" look.

My rig is actually getting my sub installed as I type this, that is the only thing that will not look stock in my system. My box will be downfiring though so I am not advertising "Hey look at me! I have a nice big 12" sub in here!". I plan on ordering the cargo cover and calling it good, still quite stealthy.

All my windows are 5% ;) and the car sits in the garage unless its being driven during the day. The reason behind replacing the stock unit is I'm just not satisfied with the 06 head unit. If it were a myGig, i would be better off. Plus im just not the type to hide anything, If I have the best then I want everyone to know it :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts