Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 211 Posts

· Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Gentlemen, it's time for my to step into the world of forced induction.

Let me give you the skinny on the build, then I'll go into detail.

Plan: Whipple 2.4L supercharger, 8lbs of boost. (Yes, I'm the one who bought SRTJake's whipple)

Timeline: 3-5 months. (Budget and time constraints)

stage 1: Crack the trans open and install shifter solenoid upgrade (blue tops)
stage 1.5: Send all red/faded parts for paint. (black and/or modern blue)
stage 2: Replace the 255 fuel pump with a 415 (recommended by Skip)
stage 3: Re-locate battery to rear, remove front clip to prep for stage 4
stage 4: Install blower cam, springs, rods, retainers, long tube headers and high flow cats/mids.
stage 4.5: Pin the crank
stage 5: Install blower and after cooler, pump, radiator.
stage 6: wire and install all instrumentation, AFR/Boost/on board logger/tuner.
stage 7: try not to crash.

Now comes the story. This is a setup that came off of Jake's jeep. This means I know a similar build will be capable of 10's. My dream number is something below 11.5.

This entire build is going to be done by a buddy of mine and myself. (I'll be there to turn wrenches and do what he says). We need to send the blower back to Whipple for a rebuild. Not because it's got problems, but because I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Build details:
Blower: Whipple 2.4L
Cam: HHP Stage 2r blower cam (Still need to call Y'all over there at HHP for this!)
Fuel system: Upgraded 415 (is the # right?) fuel pump
Transmission: Blue tops
Headers: American Racing with high flow cats/mids
Instrumentation: AEM gauges, Diablo Sport Trinity tuner
Tuning; Jersey boy (He's who tuned Jake's jeep.) JB! EXPECT A PM!

As I said, I got the blower kit (complete) from Jake. Jake worked with me for a few MONTHS while I paid for it. He's the frikin MAN. Jake, thanks so much for your patience, understanding and trust that I was good for the cash!

The headers I got from a user on here last year, never installed.

The rest of the build, besides the cam came from Skip at Daemon Performance. Thanks Skip for taking the time to go over everything with me. You're the man for putting up with my waffling!

The cam will be coming from HHP when I get the $$ together to buy it from them. Expect the call, Josh!

Any of the jeep guys who know me (and LOTS of you do)... you know im a HUGE waffler. I want a blower, no a turbo, no this, no that. :fight:

Every time I waffled, i kept coming back to the Whipple. I've always said, I hang out with people like Keoni, Jake, Jason, Steffan, DJ, Rick..... Chris, chris and.... chris.. oh and Kris.... not to mention Brian and ALL THE REST OF YOU BUMS WHO ARE FASTER THAN ME. :silly::silly::silly:

I am not looking to be the fastest, so I don't need people telling me how this Whipple won't get me down where the turbos are. I want the Whipple sound, and the Whipple look. I don't think 11's is anything to sneeze at!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! As things happen, parts arrive, and the jeep comes apart in my buddy's shop, I'll be updating.

For those who don't want to read all the crap, Cliff Notes:
Doug's putting a Whipple on his jeep.

· Registered
2,588 Posts
YEAH DOUGIE!!!!! I dont want to go to UTAH until I see this thing run. even though that is doubtful I am super happy for you bro! Coolest thing ever.

· Premium Member
634 Posts
Well nothing wrong with knowing what you want lol! Sounds like you got your ducks in a row and 11s should come easy with the setup your gonna run. Good luck and keep us posted on progress man!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I plan to. I'll be looking to everyone here for feedback when/if stuff goes south! haha.

the only unknown right now is what to do with the battery. I had a discussion in another thread about it. I'll need an external cutoff if I move it out of the engine bay. Might be worth it, we shall see.

· Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crappy pic of it sitting in my trunk... teasing me.....

All the red you see will be gloss black. All tubing, hardware, AN fittings will be replaced with braded, black, something pretty. ha! We plan to run all tubing in a 'custom' way. We want the engine bay to be pristine. This is also why the battery is being banished from the engine bay. We don't want the mess!

· Registered
2,703 Posts
I'd install the gauges before the cam etc to make sure they work correctly. And pin the crank while you have the motor apart

· Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd install the gauges before the cam etc to make sure they work correctly. And pin the crank while you have the motor apart
yeah, I plan to put the trans in first, then i'll probably be waiting on the Whipple rebuild, so i'll set the gauges up.

The crank will def get done while I'm doing the cam, etc.

· Has Been
8,532 Posts
Congrats on the sense of direction and future power Doug. Enjoy the process of building it.

· Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrats on the sense of direction and future power Doug. Enjoy the process of building it.
I will! I actually was considering asking a shop to do the build. But besides obvious budget constraints, I couldn't fathom not doing it myself!

I plan to have my hands on every inch of this build. My buddy has the know-how, and I've got the willingness to learn.

Honestly, 90% of my excitement is for the weekends of wrenching, bleeding, cursing, perfecting and learning. The other 10% is for the payoff!

Side note: The shop is enormous, it's a pole barn with two lifts, air, etc. There is also a beer fridge. So during the process, any local guys who want to come watch,drink and make fun of me, y'all are welcome!

· Registered
2,703 Posts
Where in MD?

· Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just north of Baltimore, less than a mile from DJ... ha!

We've met at Cecil, I remember you and your jeep.

· Registered
200 Posts
BADASS! Congrats Doug.

Man, I cant wait till this is finished and pulls up at HVHorsepower. Good lord!

· Registered
3,651 Posts
Congrats Doug! That sounds like a great plan and a very nice project to get your hands dirty! Enjoy!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys. I'm so pumped!

So... pays to know people. I know my post man. He just texted me telling me he has parts from Daemon performance! HA! pumpeddd

· Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys! I plan to take LOTS of pics and explain what I do everywhere.

I'm all about DIY, so I have to do my best to contribute!

You have NO idea how excited I am! HA!... well maybe you all do....

· Registered
2,703 Posts
Yea we have met a few times at different meets. I need to set one up in delaware.

Just north of Baltimore, less than a mile from DJ... ha!

We've met at Cecil, I remember you and your jeep.

1 - 20 of 211 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.