Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking in terms of supercharging wether the prochargers are the best in terms of reliability or not? Or are there any "better" systems out there?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I believe pro charger quality has improved but you need to look at the total cost of the system. Definitely need a intercooler and the correct base tune and tuner. Then you'll need to have that tune tweaked for your conditions. Edelbrock has a great setup and in my opinion better overall but pricey.

You could do a search here and there are a fair amount of people that bought the pro chargers but most had either belt slippage issues, oil leaking from the unit or tunes that were hard to get straight. You're looking at a fair amount of money - $5-7K plus install time. The WK1 engines are very good but do not tolerate much boost past 6 lbs like other modern engines.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I believe pro charger quality has improved but you need to look at the total cost of the system. Definitely need a intercooler and the correct base tune and tuner. Then you'll need to have that tune tweaked for your conditions. Edelbrock has a great setup and in my opinion better overall but pricey.

You could do a search here and there are a fair amount of people that bought the pro chargers but most had either belt slippage issues, oil leaking from the unit or tunes that were hard to get straight. You're looking at a fair amount of money - $5-7K plus install time. The WK1 engines are very good but do not tolerate much boost past 6 lbs like other modern engines.

This is all not fair to say at all. A stock engine can easily handle 8lbs safetly no problem. WK2s are not safe past 6lbs - guys all over here popping ringlands, etc. I am just shy of 150k and am pushing 13.5lbs peak D1X on a stock bottom end and stock trans. Many upgrades, but running absolutely strong as hell and zero slippage.

For affordable bolt on power I definitely stick behind PC being the best/safest out there/centrifugal is much easier on the engine verses positive displacement. Where turbo is definitely safer with more fine control, there is a lot more investment and customization needed where as you can be running boost in a weekend with minimal tools.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I won't argue with you here - but it's common knowledge that the current N/A Hemi's pistons / rings will not tolerate high boost specifically over 8lbs continually even with proper tunes. There is not enough expansion for the top rings clearance wise and the piston crowns / ring lands are very vulnerable to high pressure and detonation and fail catastrophically.

You are welcome to do a thorough search here as well as other credible sources who manufacture and install the blown conversions be it screw / rotor / centrifugal / turbine boost. There are countless people who had a happy combination of running 6lbs and making good power but wanted more...………………... and they never lasted.

Further, the NAG trans is good from the factory but is close to its limit in torque handling. Add another 50--75 HP and added torque......….see how long it lasts.

My direct experience.

If your combination is as you've described and is still together - you may have a unicorn

·
Contributing Member
4,583 Posts
9lbs for the last two years on stock block. Stock transmission as well. I am upping the boost to 10-11lbs with an upgraded valve body and TCM. I do not see any issues, seeing how some guys ran 12-13lbs on a stock block and transmission. The 6.1 can hold some serious power. There is a guy from Stage6 with a 200k plus motor and transmission running 11.0 with a single turbo. Only upgrade t the transmission is TCM and VB. He is actually upping the boost to hit 10's. I forget the number, but is making well over 600hp.

Reactions: jbutler612
1 - 6 of 6 Posts