Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know all about the risks and issues with SC a 6.4 with a stock low end, but procharger says they have 1000's of 6.4 kits out there (jeeps included) with no issues. I was just wondering how many of you are running a procharger ( P1SC complete kit) on their stock jeep and will admit here? >:)

·
The ModMan
5,764 Posts
I know all about the risks and issues with SC a 6.4 with a stock low end, but procharger says they have 1000's of 6.4 kits out there (jeeps included) with no issues. I was just wondering how many of you are running a procharger ( P1SC complete kit) on their stock jeep and will admit here? >:)
1000s? I think that's a sales pitch.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its all in the tune. 7lbs MAX on 93. Add a meth kit for extra safety.

I have always ran a meth kit in the past on all my SC/turbo stuff, but procharger said not to add a meth kit which I thought was strange...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Not biased. Based on fact. You all just need to get off this board more often, On the blue site there is a thread posted on how many stock piston failures tuned by some of the best in the industry.

I live near one of the "best tuners in the country" and I also have texts, pms and instagram dms from people that were tuned by him that have nothing but problems. I can bet a years salary that if I tune a boosted 6.4, it will never fail.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
End of the day I'm doing it and I'm not scared to admit it here. I am going to leave the pre-set procharger tune in it and drive it. If it blows, oh well Ill drop a forged 392 in it and keep going. If you want to play with HP and expensive things the last thing you can do is worry about popping a stock motor. Unlike some people here I do all the work myself so I'm not worried about swapping a short block.

have about 15 days left on the escrow, plus a month of doing upgrades on the new house...So around Christmas I will let everyone know when it goes on and I'll even log the miles I drive it and see how long it goes.

·
The ModMan
5,764 Posts
End of the day I'm doing it and I'm not scared to admit it here. I am going to leave the pre-set procharger tune in it and drive it. If it blows, oh well Ill drop a forged 392 in it and keep going. If you want to play with HP and expensive things the last thing you can do is worry about popping a stock motor. Unlike some people here I do all the work myself so I'm not worried about swapping a short block.

have about 15 days left on the escrow, plus a month of doing upgrades on the new house...So around Christmas I will let everyone know when it goes on and I'll even log the miles I drive it and see how long it goes.
Go for it, keep us posted. I will do the same one day.

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
Dont care how good the tune is, It doesn't make up the fact of a crappy piston design that was never meant for boost.

That’s true they are crap Pistons and their threshold for punishment is near 0. I truly believe water methanol injection definitely decreases the chances for a damaging event to occur as does a really good tune because it will leave a decent margin for error.

With that said - the typical customer doesn’t even know how to datalog nor interpret the log. They are generally oblivious to some warning signs within their tune that increases the likely hood for piston damage. Most think a pre-canned tune will work for all situations/climates/fuel etc and we know it won’t.

Boost on a stock 6.1 and 6.4 is not a plug and play option - it requires constant monitoring and know how.

Those without the know how and those that fail to monitor often find smashed plugs as a result of ring land failure.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, back from the dead. Certain life issues have pushed this dream way back but I'm back now. Procharger P1 kit, Check. Correct Spark plugs, check. Progressive methanol kit, check. Good Tuner, Check.

So the install will hopefully happen this weekend. I post up more once the install is complete. I will not be using the procharger tune I will be having it tuned by someone with lots of experience with late model Hemi's. As for the meth kit we will be tuning the jeep safe as possible with the kit off then turn it on for added safety so that if it fails we are not counting on it as part of the tune.

Am I missing anything? (besides pistons and rods)

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
Well, back from the dead. Certain life issues have pushed this dream way back but I'm back now. Procharger P1 kit, Check. Correct Spark plugs, check. Progressive methanol kit, check. Good Tuner, Check.

So the install will hopefully happen this weekend. I post up more once the install is complete. I will not be using the procharger tune I will be having it tuned by someone with lots of experience with late model Hemi's. As for the meth kit we will be tuning the jeep safe as possible with the kit off then turn it on for added safety so that if it fails we are not counting on it as part of the tune.

Am I missing anything? (besides pistons and rods)

Awesome! Who is this mythical tuner?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update,

I will try to get some pictures/videos up.

Procharger installed and it is going to the tuner tomorrow. I will not be posting numbers, because I do not want to know myself. I just asked my tuner to make it safe.

Kit took me a while to install and I installed a progressive methanol kit as well. I hid the pump and tank behind the front fascia on the passenger side. I modified the cap and ran a hose to it so that I can fill it from the engine bay. The fill hose is low-key and ended up right next to the coolant reservoir.

Mine is just a P1SC with the helical cut gears and I will say it is not loud but it does have a clean whistle sound on idle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts