Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i put a bored TB on my jeep and was wondering if you need to have star scan program the car to the new TB because my jeep idles erratic sometimes and it has actually stalled a few times when switching to Rev and DRive sometimes... other than that a great mod, deff a huge gain on accell

i hear with a Can bus system you do need to learn any new parts that are added ??

· Registered
11,229 Posts
What TB you have , size and brand ? is the JEEP basically stock with addition of the TB ?

· Premium Member
17,169 Posts
U need to have it retuned for a larger TB. You've added more airflow into the engine now. The tune needs to be adjusted. What size TB is it?

· Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The butterfly has not been modified in size at all, just in front of the butterfly has been smoothed out, its the fast man tb mod.. the cheaper one... i can't imagine a tune would fix this... it even feels like i have the pedal delay now even after i redid the predator tuner installation. i think the ECu just doesn't recognize the new TB.. no one else had this issue?

· Registered
2020 Dodge Durango SRT
6,054 Posts
The butterfly has not been modified in size at all, just in front of the butterfly has been smoothed out, its the fast man tb mod.. the cheaper one... i can't imagine a tune would fix this... it even feels like i have the pedal delay now even after i redid the predator tuner installation. i think the ECu just doesn't recognize the new TB.. no one else had this issue?
I know of a few, including myself, who have problems with the fastman ported tb. I'd stall or loose power all together while accelerating. Limp mode with big cars behind is scary.

I'd return it or sell it. Never had any issues with my arrington 90mm tb.

· Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know of a few, including myself, who have problems with the fastman ported tb. I'd stall or loose power all together while accelerating. Limp mode with big cars behind is scary.

I'd return it or sell it. Never had any issues with my arrington 90mm tb.
wow, thats very unfortunate but doesn't make sense as the TB was never even taken apart just some machine work, i wish i knew why it was doing that... anyone know why?

· Registered
802 Posts
My FastMan TB from a little over a year ago was the same way. Got real jerky when going from drive to reverse, stalled on several occasions, then it started going into limp mode when I'd let off around 80 and apply throttle again. Code reader said the throttle position sensor was bad or something along those lines...don't remember. I don't know if Dan takes them apart at some point, and when reassembling something goes wrong or what...? Back when I had mine done he just stopped doing the knife-edge butterfly because of issues. The one I got was also used and I sent him a core - that didn't help anything.

Dan's a super nice guy, so I'm not trying to talk bad about him in any way, but his products seem to have or cause issues with a number of guys, like Hawk said.

· Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Called Dan and he said send it back and he will fix me up. some of the cars are more sensitive than others when you remove that lip before the butterfly... im going to put my throttle sensitivity back to 0% and try that first

· Premium Member
7,299 Posts
Interesting. I have a 90mm TB from Arrington, with a ported manifold and my throttle is jacked way up in my CMR tune and the tune has it running like a champ. Before the tune was tweaked it didn't like the amount of air that it was seeing under certain conditions.

· Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting. I have a 90mm TB from Arrington, with a ported manifold and my throttle is jacked way up in my CMR tune and the tune has it running like a champ. Before the tune was tweaked it didn't like the amount of air that it was seeing under certain conditions.
he said the bored TBs are ok because they are a straight shot through, they dont have the velocity that his tapered TBs have... he said if it doesnt work he will change my tapered TB into a full bored one

· Premium Member
3,325 Posts
If the blade is stock, than the design is not straight through. Its large in the front and then small at the blade and then possibly large at the back. Definitely not straight through if the stock blade is in place.

· Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If the blade is stock, than the design is not straight through. Its large in the front and then small at the blade and then possibly large at the back. Definitely not straight through if the stock blade is in place.
no a bored TB is usually straight through design, unlike his basic mod puts a taper before the blade and that velocity is whats causing the inrush of air and the jumpiness of the jeep

· Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Just talked to Dan again, going to send back the TB for the oversize version which he has assured me fixes it. He doesnt even offer the standard taper mod anymore because of issues with them. $50 so i think that im saving $88 on the total....

PS i talked to the dealer and there is a procedure for calibrating the TB....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.