Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only two weeks with the car, and I'm all smiles. I already have done some exterior mods. Gotta post pics soon.
Anyways, here's the issue: I bought the car with 28,546 miles on 8/25/11. The car was purchased through a Jeep/ Chrysler dealership certified with the balance of the limited warranty. Before I purchased I checked with Autocheck.com and the last odometer reading was 26,662 on 4/4/11 when LaBrea Chrysler/ Jeep bought it through auction. So about 2,000 miles driven by the dealership for 4 1/2 months seems a little high. But the used car manager did report that the owner of the dealership drove the car alot.
Now, I checked the car on carfax today, and everything checked out. The odometer reading of 26,662 on 4/4/11 was the same. However, carfax had one last listing on 7/31/11 with an odometer reading of 35,500 when the car was officially put on sale as a CPO.
So my question is how come carfax has the odometer reading at 35,500, and I bought it at 28,546?!
Could carfax be wrong? Which I have read it can be. I mean 9,000 miles driven from 4/4/11 to 8/25/11 seems pretty excessive. Could it be a mistake? Or did the dealer do something shady and rollback the digital odometer. I mean this is a large, reputable Chrysler/Dodge/ Jeep dealership in Los angeles. What are your thoughts? Car itself drives great. No signs of wear. It actually seems brand new. Please help before I accuse the dealership. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Carfax error. I highly doubt its been tampered. It's awfully hard to do that on modern vehicles as the mileage is recorded in many pieces of equipment and not just the ECU

·
Registered
921 Posts
Carfax error. I highly doubt its been tampered. It's awfully hard to do that on modern vehicles as the mileage is recorded in many pieces of equipment and not just the ECU
I agree with this. Carfax errors are pretty common.

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
I'm sure its a typographical error. When a vehicle comes in for service, the mileage is manually entered into the computer for records. If the person at the dealership types 35,500 miles, instead of 25,500 miles, it stays that way on the Carfax report. My Roush Mustang's Carfax report says that my airbags were deployed when they were not, they were disabled for an accident repair, and then reactivated. I have pictures and documentation to prove this, but have not been able to get it changed on the Carfax report.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
It could be possible that they padded the mileage in their listing when they first listed it because the manager was driving it. That is a stretch though because adding 9,000 is a little excessive like you said. It being a perfectly round number like 35,500 is what made me think they just padded it though.

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
Just a few weeks ago I was looking through used cars. I came across a Carfax report that had a mileage discrepency, but after looking through the vehicle history I noticed that at one particular visit to the dealer, the mileage was 10K less, but subsequent visits showed correct mileage. The Carfax report threw up a red flag anyway, but only points out that there COULD be a mileage discrepency, even though this was clearly an error.

·
Premium Member
16,354 Posts
+1. It is really hard to go by Carfax anymore. My girlfriends dad owns a used dealership, so they find all kind of wrong stuff on carfax. When buying from an auction, there usually is a mini carfax sheet that tells you what is wrong with the car or what work has been done by that auction--which majority of the time doesn't show up on the true Carfax.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I'm sleeping better at night. I was a wreck the night I found out the discrepancy. Talked to the sales manager and he did tell me he drove the car for about 4 months probably about 2,000 miles, as his personal vehicle before they put it on the lot, and they are faxing me all the service records they have for it.
Either way I had my independent mechanic check the jeep out, and it has a clean bill of health! Time for modding. Anybody have any black rep. wheels they want to sell? Haha.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
As stated above, rolling back the milage on these rigs is extremely difficult and can usually be discovered at a later date. It is also against the law and I couldn't imagine a dealer doing that when you weigh the RISK vs. REWARD scenarios.

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
Can't you go online at Jeep and look at the service history entries with the VIN? I can for the Challenger at the Dodge site. Maybe this would show the error.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts